Well what happened there? Bradford 22 Wigan 20

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Well what happened there? Bradford 22 Wigan 20

Post by cpwigan »

It was a very rare error. Every player makes them. The player that continually makes them is the problem. I think Oscar Wilde or Jack Gibson once said to make a mistake once is human, to make the same mistake twice is foolish.

Tad like somebody habitually defending 1 player each season. Next you will tell us Higham should be back playing for us because Piggy made two glaring errors with juvenille antics in defence simply because he was playing v his best mate.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:It was a very rare error. Every player makes them. The player that continually makes them is the problem. I think Oscar Wilde or Jack Gibson once said to make a mistake once is human, to make the same mistake twice is foolish.

Tad like somebody habitually defending 1 player each season. Next you will tell us Higham should be back playing for us because Piggy made two glaring errors with juvenille antics in defence simply because he was playing v his best mate.
But you see Roberts was not exactly rock solid last season was he. He was at fault in the CC semi-final and he was at fault tonight.

So does that make Roberts foolish? Or does it make your criticism of Ainscough over the top?

Dave
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

At the end of the day it doesn't matter which particular player it was, you shouldn't be trying to gain distance from your own line with the ball in one hand.

Maybe he might have still lost the ball in that tackle, but the odds would have been significantly reduced. As I've said earlier, learn from it and move forward.
R Douglas

Post by R Douglas »

Guy's, I've not been on for a while, and am sat here 120 miles away unable to do a hell of a lot about tonight's performance!

Having played in Yorkshire against gale force 10 once or twice we my team came unstuck, and unfortunatley shouldn't have, let's put this in perspectivr. Orford is class and top teames win. This time next year, with the longer term changes made and CPWigan's theory in place, we will make games at the Bulls boring. I'm suprised we lost tonight but in a way glad we did. Madge will learn and the squad will too. Roll on Good Friday. Roll on Challenge Cup Final. I'll take my wager on the Grand Final! We're doing ok guys.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Gutted tonight; it was like Noble's Wigan again.

First half we were average against a mediocre Bradford side.

Second half we were terrible against the same mediocre side and played one of the worst halves of rugby I have seen Wigan play in a long time.

Despite McNamara's inevitable boasting about his half time talk, Wigan lost the match; the fact that they were playing Bradford was irrelevant - it was exactly the same sort of performance we put in against the crusaders last year and it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing.

The bulls never looked like scoring in the first half. We came out like the match was won and let in two early tries - mainly down to some shocking defence from Riddell; who when Mikey Mac is fit should be dropped.

We made some silly mistakes and our handling as a team was awful. That along with Bentham letting Bradford lie on as long as they like gave them some confidence.

Losing Carmont in the first half was a huge blow. He does so much unsung work for us and whilst aggressive, Joel just didn't really fit in at centre. When we were in the ascendancy it didn't matter; when things started to fall apart, it did.

We seemed unable to defend the simple ball back on the inside - as it was the only tactic that the bulls had - and our kicking game evaporated.

If it had been a tough game and we had lost then that would be better - capitulating to a very poor bulls side who will most likely win nothing this year was very depressing.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
R Douglas

Post by R Douglas »

R Douglas wrote:Guy's, I've not been on for a while, and am sat here 120 miles away unable to do a hell of a lot about tonight's performance!

Having played in Yorkshire against gale force 10 once or twice we my team came unstuck, and unfortunatley shouldn't have, let's put this in perspectivr. Orford is class and top teames win. This time next year, with the longer term changes made and CPWigan's theory in place, we will make games at the Bulls boring. I'm suprised we lost tonight but in a way glad we did. Madge will learn and the squad will too. Roll on Good Friday. Roll on Challenge Cup Final. I'll take my wager on the Grand Final! We're doing ok guys.
And please don't rip into me this time around. I am drunk on a Friday again. Didn#t swear this time. Frustrated as as everone else. And looking forward to picking up a trophy sometime soon!

We're on the way up my friends . . .
R Douglas

Post by R Douglas »

. . . and when i quote cpwigan i'm serious. Do the basics. Put the underperformers under pressure (No. 9 tonight) and we will not only beat Bulls easy, but go a long way further. Stick together and we will be good fellasa, as WWF.Com
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew wrote:Gutted tonight; it was like Noble's Wigan again.

First half we were average against a mediocre Bradford side.

Second half we were terrible against the same mediocre side and played one of the worst halves of rugby I have seen Wigan play in a long time.

Despite McNamara's inevitable boasting about his half time talk, Wigan lost the match; the fact that they were playing Bradford was irrelevant - it was exactly the same sort of performance we put in against the crusaders last year and it wouldn't have mattered who we were playing.

The bulls never looked like scoring in the first half. We came out like the match was won and let in two early tries - mainly down to some shocking defence from Riddell; who when Mikey Mac is fit should be dropped.

We made some silly mistakes and our handling as a team was awful. That along with Bentham letting Bradford lie on as long as they like gave them some confidence.

Losing Carmont in the first half was a huge blow. He does so much unsung work for us and whilst aggressive, Joel just didn't really fit in at centre. When we were in the ascendancy it didn't matter; when things started to fall apart, it did.

We seemed unable to defend the simple ball back on the inside - as it was the only tactic that the bulls had - and our kicking game evaporated.

If it had been a tough game and we had lost then that would be better - capitulating to a very poor bulls side who will most likely win nothing this year was very depressing.
A very realistic summary and IMO what cost us the match was something I have already come not to expect form Maguires team - unprofessional play.

I would have thought being 20-0 up the half time team talk would have been about consolidation but Riddell was stupid and Roberts one handed carry - which is a habit and something he does all the time - cost us three tries.

Agreed Carmont losing didn't help because it robbed the pack of JT and that is where he is most effective but given we were a man down like that but yet 20-0 up we should have won the game from there. I am sure Maguire and Wane will be fuming and it's a pity MM is injured as I think he would suit the teams style of play very well and he would not have been as stupid as Riddell.

This is two points tossed away Noble style.

Dave

R Douglas

Post by R Douglas »

Guys (as per CPWigan) Riddell is the weak link, but if tonight and in the future he starts performing to "his" standard we will beat teams . . .
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

I haven't seen anybody mention Phil Bailey's pathetic attempt on Matt Orford, if that was Darrell Goulding we wouldn't hear the end of it from the Goulding haters.