Anyone gonna believe me' now?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Uncle Fester

Re: Anyone gonna believe me' now?

Post by Uncle Fester »

Pat Richards was crucified for most of a season if not more, out of position or not he was less than impressive for a long time.
Finch has had a handful of games, two of them probably the biggest of the season.
I'll give you another example because there are plenty, Gene Miles, had a terrible half a season playing in position, and turned out to be one of the best centres ever to pull on the Cherry & White.
Renouf was another, as stated only time will tell but to right a player off after so few games is a bit silly.
Personally I don’t think he’s Wigan class but I hope he proves me wrong.
Yes I Ate All The Pies !!!!
DaveO

Re: Anyone gonna believe me' now?

Post by DaveO »

Uncle Fester wrote:Pat Richards was crucified for most of a season if not more, out of position or not he was less than impressive for a long time.
That is not true. He was less than impressive under Millward in the centres and when Noble arrived and he reverted to the wing he was in the side on merit and the injured Dallas was on record as saying he wasn't sure he was going to get his place back for the final few games of his Wigan career. Richards came good toward the end of his first season here and he is IMO the worstr example to use of players who take time to settle in.

I must admit I have little patience with established players who take a long time (like a season or more) to settle in because if they are experienced then what's the problem? Barrett took about a month to settle in and he was playing with a calf injury for most of that.
Finch has had a handful of games, two of them probably the biggest of the season.
I'll give you another example because there are plenty, Gene Miles, had a terrible half a season playing in position, and turned out to be one of the best centres ever to pull on the Cherry & White.
Renouf was another, as stated only time will tell but to right a player off after so few games is a bit silly.
Personally I don’t think he’s Wigan class but I hope he proves me wrong.
Most players of any real talent do not take very long.

Finch ought to be up and running after about half a dozen games. Maybe a little longer given his injury may have affected his confidence but he is an experienced pro and so I think fans losing patience if he fails to deliver is not to be unexpected.