Great game tonight - but

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southernpie

Re: Great game tonight - but

Post by southernpie »

jobo wrote:
Dobby wrote:I couldnt believe just how poor Huddersfield were, their defence was absolutely appalling at times and they looked clueless in attack. We played well but Huddersfield didnt half make it easy.
Right there Dobby, well disappointed with them. I'm pleased we beat them of course but was expecting a far better game. It looks now that it's going to be solely us and the wire.
For me it is never cut and dry as to how good or bad a team are, what you can never know is, how much of their apparent ability or inability is down to how the opposition play. That for me is the attraction of sport. Looking at the current season and the table. You would not be surprised to see any of the top 4 put mega points on any of the bottom 6, yet Salford beat Dire the other week. You would have expected Giants to match us or even beat us in the forwards, there was a thread running recently about our pack not being as big as some, but as we saw on Saturday our forwards were immense, the Giants looked absolutely knackered within 20 minutes. Now was that because our lads were so psyched up they knocked the stuffing out of the opposition early, with the knock on effect being that they just couldn't get a foothold in the game, (if you get mentally tired, you don't work efficiently and struggle to keep up,) or was it that they were so bad anyway making our lads look good. Nathan Brown's comments about how they have been getting away with things against "lesser opposition" recently suggests he wasn't surprised.

For me the best team in Super league this year is easily the Warriors, take a look at the table stats, we have only lost 3 games, Wire have lost 5, Giants and Stains have lost 6 each. Two of our three draws came about as we lost large half time leads (again was that because our lads went to sleep or was it the opposition being more fired up in second half). In the games to come we have to go to Hull and Warrington and play Cas at home, every other game is against a side outside of the top 8. Wire have still to play 5 games against top 8 sides, Stains have 4 games, whereas Giants are away to Warrington and Stains and home to Whinos. If all goes to form there will be definite daylight between the Warriors and the rest come the end of the regular season and the hubcap will be ours. The thing is chasing the CC means more matches, potential injuries to star players and a negative knock on effect to our challenge for the Grand Final. This is why I love this sport nothing is decided until the end.
COME ON YOU WARRIORS, LETS SEE YOU FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL AND WIN A GRAND SLAM OF ALL TROPHIES ON OFFER
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

I think we saw some great angled runs from Hoffman, and considering he cant really remember the first half. Hock did well, and great to see that offload in the tackle for Sam's try dont think the team are used to that.

Some basic errors but overall we did well, good to see Finch starting to find good form some of his passes were great.

Looks like form is being hit at the right time
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

southernpie wrote:
jobo wrote:
Dobby wrote:I couldnt believe just how poor Huddersfield were, their defence was absolutely appalling at times and they looked clueless in attack. We played well but Huddersfield didnt half make it easy.
Right there Dobby, well disappointed with them. I'm pleased we beat them of course but was expecting a far better game. It looks now that it's going to be solely us and the wire.
For me it is never cut and dry as to how good or bad a team are, what you can never know is, how much of their apparent ability or inability is down to how the opposition play. That for me is the attraction of sport. Looking at the current season and the table. You would not be surprised to see any of the top 4 put mega points on any of the bottom 6, yet Salford beat Dire the other week. You would have expected Giants to match us or even beat us in the forwards, there was a thread running recently about our pack not being as big as some, but as we saw on Saturday our forwards were immense, the Giants looked absolutely knackered within 20 minutes. Now was that because our lads were so psyched up they knocked the stuffing out of the opposition early, with the knock on effect being that they just couldn't get a foothold in the game, (if you get mentally tired, you don't work efficiently and struggle to keep up,) or was it that they were so bad anyway making our lads look good. Nathan Brown's comments about how they have been getting away with things against "lesser opposition" recently suggests he wasn't surprised.

For me the best team in Super league this year is easily the Warriors, take a look at the table stats, we have only lost 3 games, Wire have lost 5, Giants and Stains have lost 6 each. Two of our three draws came about as we lost large half time leads (again was that because our lads went to sleep or was it the opposition being more fired up in second half). In the games to come we have to go to Hull and Warrington and play Cas at home, every other game is against a side outside of the top 8. Wire have still to play 5 games against top 8 sides, Stains have 4 games, whereas Giants are away to Warrington and Stains and home to Whinos. If all goes to form there will be definite daylight between the Warriors and the rest come the end of the regular season and the hubcap will be ours. The thing is chasing the CC means more matches, potential injuries to star players and a negative knock on effect to our challenge for the Grand Final. This is why I love this sport nothing is decided until the end.
COME ON YOU WARRIORS, LETS SEE YOU FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL AND WIN A GRAND SLAM OF ALL TROPHIES ON OFFER
What a great post Southernpie, really interesting and well written. :eusa2: :eusa2:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

the winky one wrote:
southernpie wrote:
jobo wrote: Right there Dobby, well disappointed with them. I'm pleased we beat them of course but was expecting a far better game. It looks now that it's going to be solely us and the wire.

What a great post Southernpie, really interesting and well written. :eusa2: :eusa2:
totally agree although we only beat Huddersfield because their bus broke down lol
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

WiganWarrior wrote:I think we saw some great angled runs from Hoffman, and considering he cant really remember the first half. Hock did well, and great to see that offload in the tackle for Sam's try dont think the team are used to that.

Some basic errors but overall we did well, good to see Finch starting to find good form some of his passes were great.

Looks like form is being hit at the right time
So Nobby was right, the competion isn't won in February. :wink:
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

exile in Tiger country wrote: So Nobby was right, the competion isn't won in February. :wink:
Nobby just ensured it was lost by March!