Wigan discipline Sam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sue d'Nym

Re: Wigan discipline Sam

Post by Sue d'Nym »

Slightly off topic but in response to the critsisms of Leeds fans - every team, ours included have a hooligan element that none of us want to encourage. We had our lunch time pint in the Torch sat with a group of Leeds fans and had a group of Leeds/Wakefiled fans sat in front of us at the match. They were all knowledgeable, polite, funny and very good company. When Joel scored his try they applauded it, but when their team scored and they stood up to cheer, a Wigan 'fan' further along from us, stood up, made a gesture with his hand (an open fist moving up and down) and shouted at them "shut up you f*****g Leeds w*****s"

I was totally ashamed, but at the end of the match, they shook our hands and wished us safe journey home. We can't tar all oposition fans with the same brush, I beleive, but I've never actually seen it with my own eyes that there is a pleasant wire fan - just the one though!
HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

Don't know if it means anthing but Sam isn't mentioned in the disciplinaries for the Challenge Cup.
http://www.therfl.co.uk/disciplinary
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

weststand-rich wrote:The Leeds fans were just booing a Wigan player and if they want to do that while Leeds play Wigan, fair play to them. It's not like the homophobic abuse directed at Gareth Thomas by Cas fans or even the very personal and specific abuse Andy Farrell used to get week-in week-out. IMO it's very different when ST is in a England shirt, but goes with the terrority at club level.
The point is it is not a bit of booing but includes spitting I believe as well as foul language you do not want young kids to be hearing such as the C word.

It has got to the stage where now this action has been taken by Wigan and no doubt some sanction will be imposed by the RFL (even if just a fine) I reckon the moronic element of the Leeds fans will see this as the green light to be even more extreme in their abuse.

Booing and banter is one thing but this is already on another level IMO and I reckon it will get worse if Leeds do not take a lead and reign in the stupid element of their fans.
I remember last season when Wire played, Richie Myler, flipped the middle finger when he scored a try, that was similarly obvious on Sky. I complained about it repeatedly to the RFL and didn't get an acknowledgement for any e-mails. I suspect the RFL don't have an appetite for dealing with this sort of thing. That said becuase it was on BBC and widely reported, I think in a couple of weeks the RFL will tell him off, slap his wrist becuase it was a big showpiece event and fine him.
Well the precedent of no action against players for this sort of thing is there sure enough but the RFL are the definition of inconsistency so anything could happen.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The problem is nobody can do anything about the booing as it was England fans at Leeds. They could have been fans from any club and under the south stand is would sound like hundreds.

Sam is hated by all because of his on field antics. This shown up through tv coverage and Eddie and Stevo.

But what Sam did was totally unacceptable, not only the "V" sign but the prancing about at the end. Its getting the same every week and he needs to calm it down.

I expect a ban for him tomorrow and a big fine. It was the RL showpiece and he embarrased wigan and Rugby League in general.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sam embarassed himself. Nobody else, not the club, not the fans, not the RFL and to be fair it is a song and dance about a trivial matter.

Why the media should seize upon it says as much about the media when they should have been talking about the endeavours of Charnley/Mossop not a childish but discreet V sign.

His other antics are none existent.
Wes

Post by Wes »

This is getting ridiculously out of hand now! Our club has fined him and slapped him on the wrist for retaliating to abuse, no doubt they would have said something like . . Sam you are a pro you need to rise above it and act like one HOWEVER if in your position we would have done the same so chin up!

IL has done his part it is now upto the RFL and Gary Hetherington to stand up to be counted and do their part!
RFL should release a statement to something of the effect . . we have looked at the incident and whilst we do not condone of such behaviour from our paid professionals we believe the punishment he has recieved from the Wigan club is appropiate and suffice, we have also looked at what caused the reaction and are appalled to hear what some MINORITY Leeds fans where spouting at him we will now leave this with the Leeds chairman to address in the appropriate manner but we will not tolerate this in the future!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Also more than an interesting "debate" about this on http://www.facebook.com/SuperLeagueFans

Watch out for the vile language though :blush: as they all talk about a "family" game :hehe:
I was heavily involved in this last night, honestly some people are just idiots, one lad on there said if he ever sees Tomkins round town he will kick his head in, this is the calibre of Leeds fans, out and out b ends.
Up The Mont!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

cpwigan wrote:His other antics are none existent.
Whilst scoring against Bradford recently,he ran to the posts with Kearney chasing him, he slowed down and started to laugh and shout at him. He then zig zaged to the line to allow Kearney to almost catch him.

If this had been Lomax at Saints during a stuffing at knowsley road and he slows down and laughs at Hoffman, we would all be shouting for Hoff to kill him.

Now if Kearney had pushed sam just after he put the ball down and Sam did his ankle, we would all be going mad as he would be out for the final, but everyone else would say he deserved it.

he will always be hated amongst other fans as he is the best player for the best team, so he doesn't need to wind them all up even more.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

You need to watch it again mate, he didn't laugh or shout at him. He did slow down and "taunt" him though.
Did you ever see Offiah mock opposition defenders as they tried to catch him? The answer is many, many times.

HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

RFL fine of £1000 suspended until end of 2012 season.
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!