Jack Hughes Signs Long Term Deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bazward76

Re: Jack Hughes Signs Long Term Deal

Post by bazward76 »

DaveO wrote:
bazward76 wrote:I can't believe that within hours of the announcement that Jack Hughes has committed his long term services to the club some people are already talking about him leaving.
Its not about him leaving - its the fact that unless you have been on a different planet for the past few years you must know by now long term contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

Do you know who was one of (if not the first) person to prove this? None other than our assistant coach Mr Harris who signed a 5 year deal with Wire and then went into a mega sulk until Wire caved in and let him go to Leeds.

Five year deals mean nothing as the player calls the shots so the club saying this ties him to the club for five years (or implies it does) is having us on.

Given recent events I can't believe anyone is impressed by announcements of five year deals any more.
Strangly enough I have resided on the this planet for the last few years and i'm fully aware that contracts don't stand for much in any professional sport nowadays.
The Harris saga that you've dragged up was a virtual one off. How many other players can you think of that have held their clubs to ransom just after signing a new long term deal? Not many I bet.
Rugby league players tend to be loyal [especially if you look at the players in the top sides] and most contracts are honoured unless its agreed between club and player to terminate.
In Joels case ok, he signed a 5 yr deal and then pulled the plug but lets not forget he gave us good service after he broke into the first team. Jack has only just broken into the side and your suggesting he may do a Joel, give the lad a chance.
By getting the likes of Jack to sign long term contracts is a means of warding off other clubs and most importantly rewarding the players for there efforts.
You're obviously not a fan of the long term deal so maybe you'd prefer it if the club announced a pay as you play policy which would allow other clubs to come in and take away our best players for nothing.