Lauaki

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Lauaki

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is a simple question of maths. We need 4 props for perhaps 36 games. We have Mossop, Lima and Prescott as front line ones, from whom we would like perhaps 28 games each. Which leaves nearly 80 games from Fielden (5 max?), Lauaki, Dudson, Spence, Crosby and Flower. Occasionally we will use Tuson or someone else I guess. At 28, Lauaki should be able to play over nearly 30 games. I suspect that the coaching staff would rather spread the rest around. While it may be the case that Dudson or Flower at their best would give us more, the coaches are perfectly placed to judge how many games we will get out of them. He is good enough for a 4th prop, and on that basis he will do for me.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

slimshady wrote:Thought he did well last night, went into the collision when carrying the ball and was up and playing the ball very quickly for such a big bloke and that lead to HKR being under a lot of pressure. In fact I think it lead to a try when he played the ball fast and we took advantage of HKR being out of position.
I concur.

In many respects he offers something different whereas Lima, Mossy and Preccy offer a standard game. A standard game that you need BUT also allows you to inject something different or even bring Hock back on for short stints in the front row.

Am I the only one that thinks Fielden should not get a new contract? unless he accepts peanuts / huge incentive basis? Spencer / Dudson / Crosby / Burke alongside our regulars are more than enough front rowers IMO.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

cpwigan wrote:
slimshady wrote:Thought he did well last night, went into the collision when carrying the ball and was up and playing the ball very quickly for such a big bloke and that lead to HKR being under a lot of pressure. In fact I think it lead to a try when he played the ball fast and we took advantage of HKR being out of position.
I concur.

In many respects he offers something different whereas Lima, Mossy and Preccy offer a standard game. A standard game that you need BUT also allows you to inject something different or even bring Hock back on for short stints in the front row.

Am I the only one that thinks Fielden should not get a new contract? unless he accepts peanuts / huge incentive basis? Spencer / Dudson / Crosby / Burke alongside our regulars are more than enough front rowers IMO.
I agree CP in fact i for one believe he's been stealing a living.In as much as some of the injuries have been self inflicted.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

All the same.. I wouldn't like him to run at me...oh dearie me no!... :shoc: :craz:
markill

Post by markill »

I would have Lauaki down at 5th or 6th in the pecking order from what I've seen this season. Lima and Mossop are a step above.

From what I've seen, Dudson has been as good as anyone else below the top two when called into first team action this season.

Prescott has a level of consistency so we know what to expect - good effort, occassional yards but occassional errors.

Flower isn't a prop for me, but he does a lot of work in defence which helps keep Hock, McIlorum and Lockers on the field for moe minutes.

Lauaki does appear to pose a different more aggressive threat but I'm with those who think he appears more than produces. I don't have anything against him playing if we have injuries / rotation, but he wouldn't play a final if I was picking from a full bunch of props.

Fielden of 2010 would be a first choice for me, but I doubt we'll ever see that Fielden again.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

For me, Luaki is a second row, and not a great one at that.
If we need a big offloading second rower to play up front, we have Hock.
Luaki brings little for me, apart from a niggly temper. And yes I know Hock has his moments, but for now, he seems to be more in control than in the past.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

I would sooner have kept Ben Cross
phil winnard

Post by phil winnard »

If you look at the stats from the Hull KR game Lauaki made most yards per carry than any other member of our pack, missed no tackles and made no errors and yet most of you continue to criticise him???
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

phil winnard wrote:If you look at the stats from the Hull KR game Lauaki made most yards per carry than any other member of our pack, missed no tackles and made no errors and yet most of you continue to criticise him???
How many carries did he make? How long was he on the pitch? How many metres in total? And using one game as an example can make anyone look good.
Feka regularly made most metres per carry, but many on here pilloried him.
And he was far less temperamental than Luaki.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
phil winnard

Post by phil winnard »

Stats are important hence why the top coaches use them. I agree that hey don't tell you everything but I used this game as an example to defend Lauaki from all the criticism he seems to always take. As stated earlier the stats I showed indicated that he didn't make any errors or missed tackles nor did he give away any penalties in the entire game. In these areas he was better than any forward bar Mossop.
Obviously here is more to the game than just these stats but I like Lauaiki and feel he provides us with something a bit different.