Wigan Observer A new 6

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan Observer A new 6

Post by DaveO »

From Finch and Tommy to Matty Smith and and Rangi Chase. :eusa16:

Are our coaching staff really going to be able to turn Smith and Chase into players as good as Finch and Tommy?

If it's that simple why bother bringing Finch over in the first place? Matty Smith was out of contract around the same time and we showed no interest then.

We can just buy any player and Wane will wave his magic wand and hey-presto we will end up with a world class player. Clearly a players natural ability (or lack of it) is of no significance. :eusa18:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:From Finch and Tommy to Matty Smith and and Rangi Chase. :eusa16:

Are our coaching staff really going to be able to turn Smith and Chase into players as good as Finch and Tommy?

If it's that simple why bother bringing Finch over in the first place? Matty Smith was out of contract around the same time and we showed no interest then.

We can just buy any player and Wane will wave his magic wand and hey-presto we will end up with a world class player. Clearly a players natural ability (or lack of it) is of no significance. :eusa18:
Who waved a magic wand over Sam to allow him to replace Tim Smith?
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

I think the question should be do they need turning into players as good as Finch and Tommy?

Bearing in mind that both players are having to perform in teams that are languishing in the lower reaches of the table, there is a significant argument that they are both talented players in their own right; playing behind a dominant pack could just be all they need.

They are very different players from Tommy and Finch, but whichever way we turn now they are both going to leave and we will have to find alternatives
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote:Are our coaching staff really going to be able to turn Smith and Chase into players as good as Finch and Tommy?
Have they turned Flower or Lauaki into players as good as Hoffman?
Have they turned Gelling into a better winger than Richards?
Have they turned Dudson into a better prop than Coley?

Answer to all of the above; no.
Have they they turned us into a better team; Yes.

How? They have set up a system of play and picked players that compliment that system.
Some people obviously feel that Shaun Wane is not a good judge of which players will fit.
Some may judge that Ian Lenegan is not a good contract negotiator.
However, at a guess I would say that the majority of us on here are far happier with the way the club is running since Lenegan and his team started making the decisions. Some will never be happy.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Correct mate. Some remind me of a petulant 5 year old throwing a tantrum because his mum only remembered where she'd put her purse after the ice cream van had driven off!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We know what you don't like but what is your solution?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
aspull_emu

Post by aspull_emu »

I would have him if he was out of contract at Cas, you don't win man of steel by being a bad player. My issue is paying a large fee for him, could the money be better spent elsewhere? A large fee plus an undoubtedly big salary will amount to a massive overall cost.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:

We know what you don't like but what is your solution?
He doesn't offer solutions. Just criticism and 'this is what I would have done' comments. Always after the event!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO in the past I have agreed with somethings you have said and disagreed with others, I think you are an intelligent man that does tend to back up your opinion with good evidence/sense even if people don't agree with it. However, and this is a big however, the above post is complete and utter nonsense and I am very surprised that you have said it to be honest, I expect negativity from you but always with good back up evidence, on this one you have let yourself down.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wes

Post by Wes »

Ranging Chase won MoS because players didn't want Sam to win, Saints voted Chase in spite of Sam and we voted Chase in spite of Roby.

If it was Critics choice Sam would have won the accolade, At Chases age if he was all that he'd be back in the NRL bigger cap better level of rugby but he's not, Chases agent would have knocked on every NRL clubs door but the fact of the matter is he's in SL earning a wage at a mediocre club.

Fair play to him he's making a good living and fair play to him if we do come knocking if I was him I'd say yes and if we do sign him I'll support him and give him a chance BUT ill say it again he's not good enough and I don't want him at Wigan.