Le Tour 2012

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
jobo

Re: Le Tour 2012

Post by jobo »

Cavendish, and Wiggins. Northwest rules.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

God it was good wasn't it!! A perfect way to end a perfect TDF for a very British team. I was off the sofa (for the first time today) cheering Brad and Cav home. The way the instrumented the final sprint was tactical genius and showed how Brad cared enough for the team and his teammates to burst a gut for Cav who excelled.

Brilliant!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Brad & Cav! Sounds like the famous two operettas!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:We eed to make the most of the connection. Surely he should be paraded / clapped at one of our forthcoming matches. Must be BBC Sports Personality of the Year too ? First Brit to win the Tour De France
I'd like to think so but as no round ball is involved, I won't hold my breath!
During a long interview with Ned Boulting of ITV Sport yesterday. Brad was having a rub down after the TT and he was wearing a Warriors tshirt. Ned even commented on his "beloved Wigan Warriors".

I've been absolutely blown away with this years tour. I've been watching it for about 20 years now and I don't think I've ever seen such a masterclass in total team control, during a Tour, ever before.
Not only that, but all sorts of records have been broken and new ones made. Cav is the most prolific sprinter in the 99 years of the tour, he's the first person to ever win 4 times on the Champs Elysees, let alone doing it for 4 years running.
Brad has absolutely smashed the TT's and made some awesome times for the record books. He's the first Brit to ever win the Tour, let alone having a 1 - 2 on the podium. It really has been a pleasure to watch it and British cycling is going to dominate for a good few years, I think.

I can't see past Brad for the Sports Personality award, but after Giggs winning it the other year, nothing would really surprise me.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I've taken up cycling this year in an attempt to stay in shape. That was before my cancer diagnosis but I have been out on the bike a couple of times and am really looking forward to having a proper go when not full of chemotherapy. But I digress.

I have started watching the tour with some interest especially with a Brit (and Wigan fan) wearing the yellow jersey. I just didn't realise just how many tactics were involved. There really is so much to learn.
What I could appreciate was Cavendish's explosive sprint finish in today's stage. He made the others look as if they were out on a Sunday afternoon's stroll.
I think Wiggins will show his class tomorrow and be right up there in the time trial. Hopefully it should make the Paris final stage a formality. Here's hoping.
I don't know if you're feeling up to it, or whether it's your cup of tea, but one of the most inspirational books that I've ever read is Lance Armstrong's "It's not about the bike". With what he went through and the way he talks about cycling and his personal battles, I think it's absolutely awesome.
Despite the crap that's being flung about at the moment by USADA, it's still a great read and I'd highly recommend it.

THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

Hope he comes out as Guest of Honour for last game of season Vs Saints. would be a big crowd on for a huge cheer for him and being a massive Wigan fan makes this sporting achievment so much better
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I've been watching Le Tour for about 18 years now. All started coming home from school and my dad used to have the last hour or so on (he used to finish early) and have been into it since then. Had my first downer when team Festina got thrown out after a doping incident involving the booss being stopped with a carfull of dope... Virenque was my hero at the time... then spent several years watching Armstrong win - very hard days for me, hated him always wanted the likes of Pantani, Vinokourov or Jan Ullrich to beat him instead.

Remember Wiggins early on, for ONCE? or someone on a stage he just went off for most of the day got a 20 minute lead at one point as he timetrialed through the countryside before getting pulled back but thought nothing of a british cyclist until Cavendish.

Overjoyed as a fan and participant of cycling. A great achievement and he supports Wigan also. Happy days
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

dont know if anyone has seen this from BBC interview today: wiggins takes his son to rugby training camp! back to earth Brad!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18963002

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:We eed to make the most of the connection. Surely he should be paraded / clapped at one of our forthcoming matches. Must be BBC Sports Personality of the Year too ? First Brit to win the Tour De France
I'd like to think so but as no round ball is involved, I won't hold my breath!
Didnt Cavendish win the award in 2011? :conf: