Press conference

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Press conference

Post by josie andrews »

Farrell Signs new Five-Year Contract

Wigan Warriors announce that England Elite Training Squad Second Row International Liam Farrell has today agreed a new 5-year Contract with the Club. Liam's original contract ran until the end of the current season with options for the next two years. This new deal secures Liam to Wigan for Seasons 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 with an option for 2018.

Farrell has been one of the stand-out Super League players this season and has been widely tipped for an England place in the Rugby League World Cup which kicks off in October.

Speaking about the news, Chairman Ian Lenagan said:

"This is great news which I am sure will be well received by our loyal fans. Liam is just the sort of young player we are looking to build the team around and this again shows our commitment to looking after our own Wigan-trained talent. He is a player who has come through our Scholarship and Academy development system and this season in particular has proved his outstanding ability on a regular basis. We are delighted to see him perform so well and he deserves this new and improved contract."

Head Coach Shaun Wane added:

"I am delighted Liam has made this long-term commitment to the Wigan Club. Liam has been working really hard and is always looking to improve as a Player. He is a real talent who has a great future ahead of him both with Wigan and on the International stage and this has been already recognised by his inclusion in the England Elite Squad. "

Liam Farrell commented;

"I am thrilled to have agreed this new 5-year deal with the Club. As a youngster, I always wanted to play for my hometown Club and I am enjoying my rugby immensely at the moment. This is a very exciting time under Shaun Wane and I am really looking forward to playing my part in bringing more success and trophies to Wigan in the seasons to come."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Our next Wigan captain IMO :)
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote: Our next Wigan captain IMO :)
Can't have a ginger captain Josie. Its the law! :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:Worst bit was the news that Sam may go 'next year or the year after'. Makes a nonsense of his 3 year no talking clause. Cue an apoplectic DaveO! :(
What I have said about that is the club would look stupid if it let him go before its up. It is up at the end of 2014 I believe and is so and he goes before it just shows the clubs word is worthless.

The idea in the face of the seeming weakness of contracts you claim to have got a player to sign a bullet proof one that then proves otherwise (should that occur) means the apologies need to be coming from the club!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I personally think the club has reacted rapidly to a changing set of circumstances following the ever increasing money available in the NRL. To me the thou must honour thy contract or you are a traitor smacks of how Union responded to their players converting to League.

Far better to plan, predict movements. Players going to the NRL is far better than to Union. Contract length will it seems be lengthened too E.G Faz to protect the clubs interests / assets. The contract cannot stop players wanting to leave BUT it will offer compensation / favourable option if the player decides to return. The NRL option is great for GB / England IMO.

Quite happy re Long returning. I think fans do not realise how much more we invest in our coaching staff than other clubs do. Leopard / spots etc is nonsense; look at Ellery or Jon Clarke.

I am underwhelmed by Powell mainly because of his age. I think the club are quite clever to hit the media with umpteen announcements. It is annoying to fans as nothing stays secret beforehand and statements are made beforehand that make players / coaches look at best jackasses, at worst liars. However, the all in one go gives people / media lot to digest and less time/energy to focus on the more risk parts of the deals E.G Powell.

Wigan RLFC have done well IMO to react to a changing environment in RL.
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Worst bit was the news that Sam may go 'next year or the year after'. Makes a nonsense of his 3 year no talking clause. Cue an apoplectic DaveO! :(
What I have said about that is the club would look stupid if it let him go before its up. It is up at the end of 2014 I believe and is so and he goes before it just shows the clubs word is worthless.

The idea in the face of the seeming weakness of contracts you claim to have got a player to sign a bullet proof one that then proves otherwise (should that occur) means the apologies need to be coming from the club!
His contract states he can't talk to clubs, it says nothing about IFL not being allowed to talk to clubs. Clever move as it puts the club in the driving seat to get the best result for when he goes.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

DaveO wrote: What I have said about that is the club would look stupid if it let him go before its up. It is up at the end of 2014 I believe and is so and he goes before it just shows the clubs word is worthless.

Getting a player to sign a contract has a twofold benefit for the club. First it secures the services of the player for a certain period, and second, it makes the player worth something to the club should he decide he wants to go, or if the club wants him to go.

The alternative is that the player remains obligated to the club for its entire term, and then he walks away for free at the end of it under the Bosman rules. The club has in that case lost a valuable asset for absolutely no financial gain, and that is not good business
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true TEW. I am hoping the Wigan coaching staff can get him up to speed. Nothing beats playing the game from knee high to adulthood though. You see that with the likes of Greg Burke, George Williams etc.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Looks to me a load of gloss has been painted onto a bad surface. IL is probably between a rock and a hard place but would an improved contract for Mossop have sorted that problem? As for Hock, it's a crying shame things have turned out the way they have.

As for signing Powell, :blush: