New player

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: New player

Post by Kittwazzer »

cow yeds wrote:I can't weigh it up, 32 yrs old 2 yr contract, history of p*ss ups, abusing speccies RU are glad to get shut I think.

I remember the last Iron man we signed from Wales he turned out to be an embarrassment.

If he makes it I will be the first to hold my hands up
I think piss ups are part of the RU culture actually. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFurMPPzJ8

He will soon become aware that he's left that lifestyle behind. From what I've seen so far, he looks like he could be a handy lad!
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I'm really worried about the "piss ups". Powell might be a bad influence. It would be awful if players drinking alcohol crept into Rugby League..
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaiJones wrote:I'm really worried about the "piss ups". Powell might be a bad influence. It would be awful if players drinking alcohol crept into Rugby League..
Don't worry, it will never happen. Unless we win the GF of course at which point they will be given a tenner each and told not to come home till its gone!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

josie andrews wrote:
mickw wrote:I think its a needless signing really but he,s here now so I,ll get behind him ,if he is as dynamic as he was 3/4 years ago in rah rah then he has a chance.second row maybe?
I agree & as you say he's here, so I will support him as a Wigan Warrior & hope he does well :)
I think what we have signed is a South Wales Scorpion. This is just Wigan funding a new player for Iestyn Harris and his Welsh world cup squad.
Of course I hope I'm wrong and he is the fittest RU forward ever, loves and regularly watches league, and has been aspiring to this all his playing career, but the words "Gareth Thomas" keep coming to mind.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I think the signing goes a lot deeper, there is a Welsh connection & as we know IL is keen to develop players from welsh RU or simply to tap into players in Wales who have not been scouted.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
29wes28 wrote:I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing to help bring on our youngsters and not to hinder them, if you look at the OOC list for this year there ain't much about so it's not like anyone else can do better. The only forward I'd take who is OOC is Mickey Paea.
On what basis do you conclude a 31 year old ex-RU player is going to be a decent signing and why would he bring on our youngsters? Just what relevant experience will be bring to the table?

As to the excuse of who is out of contract why do we actually need to sign anyone if there is no one worth signing?

Also I am always being told contracts are worthless and so surely we have our pick if we choose to spend the six figure sums agreed for Hock and Mossop?

He may adopt to the game as Quinnell did but he was 22 when he signed not 31. At best it will take some time and we just don't need to be signing 31 year old players of any code.

A ridiculous signing and a waste of salary cap money on a player we don't need.
Quinnell, who played 39 times for Wigan after his switch from Llanelli in 1994, said: "Andy will be fantastic for them.
"He has all the skills and the attributes to be a wonderful rugby league player. He gets across the gain-line and is dynamic."
Quinnell, who played for Wales in the 1995 Rugby League World Cup, believes that Powell can also make an impact for Wales during the World Cup.
"He has five months and he will be fine," he said. "He might find it difficult going into a different environment and to understand the intricacies of rugby league.
"The hardest part is running backwards 10 metres after each tackle. But I think he will do well and Wigan will help him in every way they can."
What did you expect him to say? He'd be rubbish?

Everything Quinnell says applies to his past career with Wigan. I watched him play. Did you?

He was like a duck out of water at first but after a year he got stuck in. In fact I don't think he wanted to leave when it came to it.

The thing is though he was 22 not 31.
If we have lost 2 players Dave then we should sign someone and the club has. IMO IFL is far more intelligent than you or I and this is a win win, our youngsters don't get burned out we are thinking outside the box, Wigan Warriors is now being talked about in union circles and hey as well as all that he might turn out to be a good player.
IL more intelligent than you or I? You do yourself a disservice. There are plenty of very bright people who inhabit this board and IL isn't Einstein either. If Wigan is being talked about in Union circles I'd be amazed if it wasn't being said Powell was finished there anyway. Isn't it just Gareth Thomas all over again?

Even if he takes to the sport like a duck to water he's got very few years in the game so I just don't see the point especially given what we have coming through. Trying to gain positive PR by signing 31 year old union players doesn't sit well with me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
mickw wrote:I think its a needless signing really but he,s here now so I,ll get behind him ,if he is as dynamic as he was 3/4 years ago in rah rah then he has a chance.second row maybe?
I agree & as you say he's here, so I will support him as a Wigan Warrior & hope he does well :)
I think what we have signed is a South Wales Scorpion. This is just Wigan funding a new player for Iestyn Harris and his Welsh world cup squad.
Of course I hope I'm wrong and he is the fittest RU forward ever, loves and regularly watches league, and has been aspiring to this all his playing career, but the words "Gareth Thomas" keep coming to mind.
What he said.

He could have come to the North Wales 9's festival I went to a couple of weeks ago. Not sure he'd have been up too it.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think the thing that really stands out is that the only comparison being made is with Scott Quinnell from 20 years ago.
As a man from RU, Powell will be slow and not used to the non-stop pace of League. He may be OK going forward but how will he have the speed and fitness to get back into the defensive line?

I just assume this is some part of IL planning to make some cash though Welsh sponsorship or similar. Maybe there are plans to make Scorpions a proper nursery club for emerging talent. Certainly Welsh RU clubs have financial problems at the moment.

Perhaps we should run a sweep on how many times Powell turns out for the first team in his stay.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Tbh I think Powell will go good for us and he'll shock a few people, don't worry about his fitness as Bitcon will work wonders with him.
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

Not worried about his fitness - like someone earlier said - we'll see when he plays. However, I hope we haven't paid good money to have a warm seat in the sin bin!!! Sounds like he might need to go to Anger Management with Suarez - I read that he's had ding dongs with opposition players, own team players and fans!

Ah well - at least Micky Mc might be able to breathe for a bit without worrying about hearing a whistle.... :lol: