Sam Tomkins - ill??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Sam Tomkins - ill??

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:I will tell you that Sam would like to play. What is happening is that we want to be ready and peak in the play offs. If you look carefully you can see players not being played , this has been going on a while. I agree with what Wigan are doing, you will see the team lift in the play offs. I totally agree with Wayne. Good tactics in my opinion. Leeds have been doing this the last couple of years and even Snake Helens are up to these trick also.
I can see the total logic in this and I really hope it all works out as planned. My big concern is that all this chopping and changing has stalled our excellent momentum. Our halfback pairing aren't a patch on where they were at the beginning of the season.

Time will tell!

I agree with you on that one but its a penalty we must pay for a possible Grand Final Win... Here is hoping!

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan Watcher wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:I will tell you that Sam would like to play. What is happening is that we want to be ready and peak in the play offs. If you look carefully you can see players not being played , this has been going on a while. I agree with what Wigan are doing, you will see the team lift in the play offs. I totally agree with Wayne. Good tactics in my opinion. Leeds have been doing this the last couple of years and even Snake Helens are up to these trick also.
I can see the total logic in this and I really hope it all works out as planned. My big concern is that all this chopping and changing has stalled our excellent momentum. Our halfback pairing aren't a patch on where they were at the beginning of the season.

Time will tell!

I agree with you on that one but its a penalty we must pay for a possible Grand Final Win... Here is hoping!
Let's get the CC first. I want a picture of BOTH trophies at the DW. That is something that Stains will NEVER achieve!
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

I'm begining to believe that it may be something to do with the NZ Warriors not wanting their prise signing getting injured. And if the rumour is right that Waney is going to NZW as well he will want him fit. Or am I just a conspriacy theorist?
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

captinjack wrote:I'm begining to believe that it may be something to do with the NZ Warriors not wanting their prise signing getting injured. And if the rumour is right that Waney is going to NZW as well he will want him fit. Or am I just a conspriacy theorist?
There is no truth in that one so that can be put to bed.

jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

I do believe we are resting players for the "business"end of the season hopefully it will pay dividends,but in reality it shows the weakness of our league as this would never happen in australia
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

captinjack wrote:I'm begining to believe that it may be something to do with the NZ Warriors not wanting their prise signing getting injured. And if the rumour is right that Waney is going to NZW as well he will want him fit. Or am I just a conspriacy theorist?
think you need demoting to deck hand :lol:
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Fujiman wrote:
think you need demoting to deck hand :lol: [/quote]

That would be a promotion. :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Leeds have been doing this the last couple of years and even Snake Helens are up to these trick also.
No they have not. Look at the appearance statistics for key players like Sinfield and others and you will find they are virtually ever present in the side.

It's a huge myth that Leeds planned to finish 5th IMO or lost league games because they were resting players.

They may have peaked at the right time but IMO that was not down to leaving key players like Sinfield the sidelines because they didn't.

At the moment we seem to lack confidence and form in the league and given we virtually never see the same side form one week to the next is this surprising?

Several of our key players have had time on the sidelines this season already and so don't need resting. In fact they need the game time IMO.

I said this before I went on holiday before the cup semi and that we didn't need to bother resting players v Saints and I reckon that was proved to be the case.

At this rate we will be going into the final as a team of strangers.

Are we going to see Sam rested for an even harder game v Hudds? Who else won't play?

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:Leeds have been doing this the last couple of years and even Snake Helens are up to these trick also.
No they have not. Look at the appearance statistics for key players like Sinfield and others and you will find they are virtually ever present in the side.

It's a huge myth that Leeds planned to finish 5th IMO or lost league games because they were resting players.

They may have peaked at the right time but IMO that was not down to leaving key players like Sinfield the sidelines because they didn't.

At the moment we seem to lack confidence and form in the league and given we virtually never see the same side form one week to the next is this surprising?

Several of our key players have had time on the sidelines this season already and so don't need resting. In fact they need the game time IMO.

I said this before I went on holiday before the cup semi and that we didn't need to bother resting players v Saints and I reckon that was proved to be the case.

At this rate we will be going into the final as a team of strangers.

Are we going to see Sam rested for an even harder game v Hudds? Who else won't play?
Whats the point of having a large and good squad if you are going to play the best team in every game?

And if we did, no doubt you would still find a fault with the team selection.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I have to agree with DaveO, I am all for squad rotation but more so early on in the season. None of our key players have overplayed this season, infact far from it, and now potentially with a maximum of what 8-9 games left, I think we should be looking at stability and continuity in team selection.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett