Wigan v Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan v Catalans

Post by DaveO »

RobWigan wrote:But your post sounds like unless Wane wins everything, his team plays perfect rugby, only then this would be good enough??

I would rather have a passionate Wiganer than a Aussie putting his name forward for a NRL job, i really think he is doing a good job
Before I go on can I just say thanks for asking the question and stating your point of view rather than adopting the attitude of certain other posters.

The best way I can answer your question is I don't think the rugby we are playing now is good enough compared to 2010/11. I don't think we can win everything this or any other season and if we do win the CC I think there is a danger that will paper over the cracks.

You could say "only the season matters" and in a sense it does. If we win the CC who gives a shit what Wire or Hudds do in the playoffs?

The trouble is and looking ahead would a CC win this year mean we are a well coached side? We weren't when Dorahay was in charge. Why is Wane different to him? Because he is a Wiganer?

Win the cup. Sack Wane. You know it makes sense :)

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

RobWigan wrote:
DaveO wrote:
butt monkey wrote:Not seen form this bad since the team got John Dorahy sacked as head coach years ago.
Well in my view the same should happen to Wane next week as happened to Dorahay back then.

(For those who don't know we won the cup and he was still sacked. Supposedly on the coach on the way back from Wembley).
A defeat in the Cup next week and I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will have a field day and speculation will be that it will be Hock at Wigan next season and not Wane
Given the choice who would you prefer to be here next season, Wane or Hock?
This is probably the worst post i have ever seen, You want to sack a manager that as led us to the cup final , what would you say if we won the grand final as well?? Theres not a cat in hells chance he is going to be sacked , ridicolous
Rob whether you or I or ANYBODY thinks Wane should be sacked or not YOUR statement is totally incorrect.

Colin Clarke / Alan McInnes got Wigan to a CC in 85 and BEAT Hull. THEY WERE REPLACED by the start of the next season.

John Dorahay won a few competitions INCL a CC Win at Wembley and was replaced almost immediately afterwards.

So hopefully you can see how wrong your statement was ?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

RobWigan wrote:But your post sounds like unless Wane wins everything, his team plays perfect rugby, only then this would be good enough??

I would rather have a passionate Wiganer than a Aussie putting his name forward for a NRL job, i really think he is doing a good job
I'm a passionate Wiganer Rob BUT I would not be my choice as Wigan coach. Jim Sullivan was a WELSHMAN; A fantastic player / coach for Wigan. Eric Ashton was a ST HELENER; A fantastic player / coach. George Fairbairn was a SCOTSMAN; a fantastic player / coach for Wigan; Graham Lowe was a KIWI A fantastic coach for Wigan; John Monie was an Aussie A fantastic coach for Wigan TWICE.

I think you need to dispense with your passionate Wiganer must coach Wigan fallacy. I want the best coach possible coaching Wigan RLFC wherever he comes from. His origin IS irrelevant!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:

Before I go on can I just say thanks for asking the question and stating your point of view rather than adopting the attitude of certain other posters.

The best way I can answer your question is I don't think the rugby we are playing now is good enough compared to 2010/11. I don't think we can win everything this or any other season and if we do win the CC I think there is a danger that will paper over the cracks.

You could say "only the season matters" and in a sense it does. If we win the CC who gives a shit what Wire or Hudds do in the playoffs?

The trouble is and looking ahead would a CC win this year mean we are a well coached side? We weren't when Dorahay was in charge. Why is Wane different to him? Because he is a Wiganer?

Actually it makes no sense at all to me. Win CC and/or GF then sack the coach? Get a grip!
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

DaveO wrote:

I also want the best man for the.job, but if we win the cup Saturday, then finish 4th and win the grand.final you surely cannot think he deserves to be sacked??

For 75% of this season we have been fantastic, playing good rugby and.now it seems we have dropped off a little, Leeds finished 5th last year and picked it up in the play offs, but Leeds would never of sacked McDermott.in a million years

In reply to your 1st part of the post, there are few knowledgable people on here and i enjoy reading posts, and the views you give, you are one.of them,.i.would not disrespect anybody unlike certain people i see on here
markill

Post by markill »

I think people don't want to be saying the coach deserves to be sacked but aren't seeing what they want to see out of the team. It is out of frustration and love for their team that they are saying Wane should be sacked.

In Madge we had a coach that took a team that was second rate behind Leeds, Saints and Wire to being the best in the league without question initially with the exact same players bar an aging Deacon coming in. Seeing that, maybe we've got greedy again and maybe we expected what happened in the 80s/90s to happen again and we would be the best for an extended run.

Instead, we've got a coach who shifted a modern game winning philosophy to his own new philosophy which regardless of what you say can be worked out by top teams or simply teams who raise their defensive game.

We could never revert to the 80s/90s but we did want to see a side that maintained its ability to control all teams and not just demolish teams who defend poorly in a game. I've seen other teams totally raise their intensity recently and not us. Some teams are notably weaker than us, but would stand every chance of beating us because they've raised their game. We're just trying to get round teams all the time whilst no longer meeting them hard and fast in defence. I don't understand the point of playing with great intensity in May but dropping it in August.

Like I said, people don't want to be wishing the sack on a coach, but people don't want to see Wigan losing all the great foundations we had put in place. You blame the coach for that, rightly so
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Being a good coach is more than just passion. Madge was passionate about wigan and arguably did more to bring the "wigan culture" back than any other coach we had in the last 10years, just seeing how he reacted to tries showed his passion.

However Madge saw the bigger picture - he played calculated rugby league it was tremendously simple and devastatingly effective. It also preserved players. I think this is wanes biggest failing his attitude is win every game by scoring as many points as possible, which in itself is fine but that crude type of play will only get you so far.

Madge worked a lot more on game management we would be blistering for the first 10 - 15 minutes of each half rack up a lead and manage the game from there. Wane would want us to push even once the game is won, admirable but foolish as you burnout players a lot faster.

Look at our injury/fitness records under wane and Madge and you can see clear as day were wanes "passion" is sometimes a hinderance.

Bottom line is we are all passionate wigan fans on here and no-one wants to be calling for a coaches head and not many are. I for one am not - I think wane coach be an excellent coach however he needs to drop the ego and work on the technical side of the game more, as I said in another thread Paul Anderson for me has been coach of the season and has largely gone on out of the spotlight he is passionate also but he also seems to be able to step back from that single minded approach
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CougarDeb

Post by CougarDeb »

Blake Green was saying after the Catalans game that they had Wembley at the back of their minds, not an an excuse I know, so lets hope we are fully focused next week.
No Money.... No Honey
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ancientnloyal wrote:Bag of turd! 1000 fans let down today no plan B thornley was dire in fact all were bar flower and charnley.
Bored sitting watching that. Next 2 days here will be a drag
but was Thornley worse than Gelling
doc

Post by doc »

medlocke wrote:
but was Thornley worse than Gelling
Yes!