Andy Farrell's loyalties

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nellywelly

Re: Andy Farrell's loyalties

Post by nellywelly »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Farrell did not only go to RU for himself, but to take his son.

Went down a lot in my estimation because of that fact.
My god I wish people could grow up and join the real world, Andy Farrell was one of our greatest players and a good servant to our club, but not only that he is a great dad and I for one do not blaim him for stearing his son to union where he would make a far better living for himself than in our code. Who in there right mind would not do the same thing for there son, hand on heart when you answer this, players earn three or four times the wages in union and they play longer into their thirty's. So all in all it makes sence to change codes, more money and a much bigger opertunitees to make more on tv roylties

sorry for spelling mistakes
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Interesting thread:

Given he is employed by Saracens and not us he had every right to make a move on Sam Tomkins. But he should have thought about the repercussions to his reputation in Wigan and had someone else to do the meetings.

As for him coming back to coach us i say why bother. Deacon and Harris if he stays are in line for the throne and have coaching experience in Rugby League. Its one thing to be a captain of a side its another experience to coach. Same for Edwards but as someone pointed out Edwards has not been directly linked to any of out players.

I would not have any one coach from union anywhere near us unless they start at the bottom and work their way up. As Wane did and its worked the kids will go through a wall for him and only coach i have ever seen get that effect is Mike Gregory.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

nellywelly wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Farrell did not only go to RU for himself, but to take his son.

My god I wish people could grow up and join the real world, Andy Farrell was one of our greatest players and a good servant to our club, but not only that he is a great dad and I for one do not blaim him for stearing his son to union where he would make a far better living for himself than in our code. Who in there right mind would not do the same thing for there son, hand on heart when you answer this, players earn three or four times the wages in union and they play longer into their thirty's. So all in all it makes sence to change codes, more money and a much bigger opertunitees to make more on tv roylties

sorry for spelling mistakes
Why have a go at me when other supporters think and even are saying the same?

And for the record, there are other players whose son's have remain loyal to our game.

phild1

Post by phild1 »

==
markill wrote:If you got a new job after working for a company for 20 years and part of your job was to recruit talent to your new company, would you instead be telling people to stay where they are or would you do your job?

Its not very nice to hear about potential headhunting etc. but unfortunately thats the world we live in and you need to be realistic. Wanting Wigan's best players to play for his union club doesn't mean Farrell didn't want Wigan to win things.

If, all of a sudden, the boot was on the other foot and all the oney and prestige came over to League then wouldn't we want Farrell back? A coach who is clearly talented and capable based on his record so far, who knows the game and understands top level sport very well? Or would we want average Joes just because they stuck with us when offered new opportunities elsewhere? We'd want him and anyone else we can get from union, whatever their background, as long as they are the bext out there.

Loyalty is relative and a fairly romantic notion unfortunately.
==phild1,spot on with this post.i guess we all remember the days when it was one way traffic from union to league.RL scouts set off to darkest wales to secure signitures of the best that wales had to offer and there were some underhanded tactics.not all made the grade;wigan made a would be big signing;quinell he didn't make it did he? there must be many more :eh:
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

After six months with Wigan they eventually got Quinell fit enough to play rugby league and he did ok for the short period he played

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Went down in your estimation by being a good parent?

Every parent wants what is best for their children sports men and women are no different. Andy Farrell has put his lad in prime position to earn a substantial amount of money during his career. The money is in Union we all know that, O.Farrell is incredibly talented not only that he is marketable he's a good looking young lad and he will earn maximum money for a lot lower risk than league. I daresay he could probably earn more in union + sponsorship than he would in his career at Wigan RL.

Farrell owes us nothing - he paid his dues to this club when he put his body on the line year after year like playing Prop just to keep the team going.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:I wasn't commenting on his loyalty as a quality he has to posses, so much as his "legend" status. Edwards has not done this, and Edwards stayed at the club until we wanted rid of him, and tried to get a job coaching league before going elsewhere.
Anyone can do what they like, but - for me - being recruiter in chief to take players from our club and our code tarnishes his image compared to a Rads, who could also have moved, but kept the faith.
Thats your opinion and your entitled to it, no matter how daft it is :lol:

Faz was and is IMO a Wigan legend for what he did on the pitch ... FULL STOP.
Rugby union didnt make farrell into the legend he is portrayed to be, it was wigan warriors. Farrell has now turned his back on rugby league and if he goes on to take players from wigan farrell has lost any respect I have for him simply because it was wigan that helped make him into the idol he is yet he is prepared to take away from that that fed him as such.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Farrell owes us nothing....and we owe him the same

Is he Wigan through and through NO

Legend? used to much in my opinion but to answer my own question. 100% NO!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am mystified how people IMO misunderstand loyalty, an incredibly over used misrepresented word IMO. In sport there is no such thing from either the employer / employees and nor should there be.

If I asked fans about Lockers they would throw in this word loyalty 99.9% of the time YET I once had Lockers in a school during the Millward / relegation debacle and we asked him if Wigan are relegated will you leave. He said yes. I cannot think of a 'more loyal' player BUT his first and ONLY true loyalty is to HIMSELF and HIS FAMILY.

I once worked for a council education sector where I was piggy in the middle between two groups at loggerheads. I did what I felt was right, right for a child but one of group members who seemed to gain from my decision, said to me a day or two later thankyou for your loyalty, it will not be forgotten. I simply said it was never about loyalty it was about doing the right thing.

LOYALTY is bullshit cliche. Nothing more

You owe past employees NOTHING and they owe you NOTHING.

I always remember a near retirement colleague when I was wet behind the ears rookie saying never forget whomever you are, the day you walk out of that door for the last time you will be history, forgotten beyond occasional anecdotes.

For those of you who believe in loyalty and work in such a factory setting, go to your employer and say money is a bit tight, can you give me some overtime. The answer? When said employer is struggling to meet a deadline what is their attitude to overtime and expecting you to avert their problem? Is that the loyalty you all think about / know.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:I am mystified how people IMO misunderstand loyalty, an incredibly over used misrepresented word IMO. In sport there is no such thing from either the employer / employees and nor should there be.

If I asked fans about Lockers they would throw in this word loyalty 99.9% of the time YET I once had Lockers in a school during the Millward / relegation debacle and we asked him if Wigan are relegated will you leave. He said yes. I cannot think of a 'more loyal' player BUT his first and ONLY true loyalty is to HIMSELF and HIS FAMILY.

I once worked for a council education sector where I was piggy in the middle between two groups at loggerheads. I did what I felt was right, right for a child but one of group members who seemed to gain from my decision, said to me a day or two later thankyou for your loyalty, it will not be forgotten. I simply said it was never about loyalty it was about doing the right thing.

LOYALTY is bullshit cliche. Nothing more

You owe past employees NOTHING and they owe you NOTHING.

I always remember a near retirement colleague when I was wet behind the ears rookie saying never forget whomever you are, the day you walk out of that door for the last time you will be history, forgotten beyond occasional anecdotes.

For those of you who believe in loyalty and work in such a factory setting, go to your employer and say money is a bit tight, can you give me some overtime. The answer? When said employer is struggling to meet a deadline what is their attitude to overtime and expecting you to avert their problem? Is that the loyalty you all think about / know.
Loyalty = Who your employer is now not last week, a year ago or even a decade ago. Only loyalty we can excpect is from a player whilst we pay him.