Steve Prescott

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Permanent reminder of a great ex. player.

Post by cpwigan »

He certainly need some recognition. He should be knighted IMO.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Following the sad death of Steve Prescott, surely the annual 'Man of Steel' award should be renamed the 'The Steve Prescott Award' or even the 'The Steve Prescott Man of Steel Award'.

In spite of his problem and the way he carried on regardless, he was truly a 'Man of Steel'
I'll go along with that WW.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

cpwigan wrote:He certainly need some recognition. He should be knighted IMO.
I would agree with this but the whole adding his name to the man of steel award comes across as nothing but a cheap gimmick. This all started with the stains fans and now after his sad passing people are jumping on the bandwagon. Just because it hasn't got a name attached yet it doesn't mean you should just add one, this is not being disrespectful it's just being realistic.
The whole man of steel award should just be sports based with nothing added. I mentioned this on the original thread so I'm not saying anything new
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why do you think it's a gimmick?

The BBC SPOY have the Helen Rollanson Award what's the difference?

I still think it should be renamed the Steve Prescott Man of Steel Award :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Steve Prescott

Post by josie andrews »

Tomkins backs Prescott award call

England full-back Sam Tomkins has thrown his weight behind a call to name the Super League Man of Steel award after the late Steve Prescott.

Tomkins, the 2012 Man of Steel, believes it would be a fitting tribute to the former St Helens, Hull and Wakefield full-back who on Saturday lost his seven-year battle with cancer.

"A few people have tweeted about changing the 'Man of Steel' award to the 'Steve Prescott Award'," Tomkins said himself on Twitter.

"Great idea! I would be behind that 100%!"

Another former Man of Steel, Paul Sculthorpe, who took part in a series of gruelling fund-raising activities with his former team-mate in aid of the Steve Prescott Foundation, described the former England and Ireland international as a "true icon".

"The world lost a true icon yesterday," Sculthorpe said. "Words can't do him justice. Will miss you my friend."

St Helens on Sunday opened a book of condolence at Langtree Park and say it will remain open for a week.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... /9019683/-
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A book of condolence has also been opened at Hull FC :)
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

josie andrews wrote:Why do you think it's a gimmick?

The BBC SPOY have the Helen Rollanson Award what's the difference?

I still think it should be renamed the Steve Prescott Man of Steel Award :)
To the stains fans it's an obvious choice but i just think before any decisions about renaming anything should be discussed at a later date. Renaming it now would be just "I have a good idea" category which is never the best way of doing things.
Early next year they should gather a couple of deserving names together then decide, for me i'd like it to be sports based like Billy.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Following the sad death of Steve Prescott, surely the annual 'Man of Steel' award should be renamed the 'The Steve Prescott Award' or even the 'The Steve Prescott Man of Steel Award'.

In spite of his problem and the way he carried on regardless, he was truly a 'Man of Steel'
Already a campaign under way.

BTW, did this need a separate thread?
On reflection, yes.

My apologies!
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Well said. R.I.P Steve
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Funeral arrangements for Steve Prescott MBE

A Requiem Mass for Steve Prescott MBE will be celebrated at St Mary’s Lowe House Church, North Road, St Helens WA10 2BJ on Monday November 18 at 11.00am.

The Mass will be followed by committal at St Helens crematorium. The crematorium service is for family and close friends only.

The Prescott family have asked for family flowers only – donations in lieu of flowers can be made to The Steve Prescott Foundation c/o www.justgiving.com/steveprescottfoundation or by cheque made payable to Steve Prescott Foundation, 5 Welbeck Road, Wigan WN3 6 RS

Steve Prescott MBE, the former St Helens, Hull FC, Wakefield Trinity, Lancashire, England and Ireland full-back died last Saturday after a long illness. He was 39.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/29 ... -prescott?