Warm up game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Warm up game

Post by markill »

It was close to a first choice front row and half a first choice back row for NZW is my interpretation. Mateo and Matulino, probably the two world class performers in the line up we faced did present us with a lot of issues as they were coming off the back of good drives by props then showing their ability to deliver short and late offloads. Caugth us on a few occasions.

the NZW backs, particularly outside backs, weren't anything to write home about and once we got to them we looked like having the potential to score at will, which when even further down the pecking order players came on in 2nd, we did do.

Powell was great throughout. Taylor was excellent again, although took a bit of a head knock but then played on. The 'first team' players faded a bit in back period of first half - hardly surprised giving their recent itinery of game, long-haul flight, train, game. Burgess finished his tries well, but they were created inside him and Sarginson looked real threat again.

MM, Hughes and Dudson started strong but faded after first 15mins. Clubb and Flower didn't do anything particularly good or bad. Pettybourne was decent, as was Crosby. Farrell did ok. Logan was decent, played 50mins or so and tackled well. Bateman really impressed in the 2nd half.

Smith showed good touches in combination with Powell. Goulding looked decent. Charnley a little rusty, unsurprisingly, but few opportunities before replaced at half time by Manfredi, who scored a very Charnley like try - took a high kick with little challenge, busted a couple of tackles then sprinted length of field. Bowen had little opportunity in space but linked in the passing game well. Hampshire and Williams slotted in seemlessly at half time and did what we know they can. Williams help the ball a few times but contributed a lot to our scores too. Gelling started 2nd half, was eating metres and busting tackles but then went off the boil dropping a couple when the score got big.

I'd be surprised if Burgess lost his place. I reckon Bateman deserves a spot ahead of Clubb or Hughes potentially and Wane has a tough call at hooker, assuming Blake Green comes in at stand off. MM will have to work hard to get up to level, but would be hard to leave him out, but Logan showed more in defence and Powell has earned a place in the 17 on the showings he has had this season so far.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
markill

Post by markill »

I missed off Burke. He was decent too. Probably better than Clubb was for me.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Apparently, Dudson has only scored 2 tries in his life, his first being last week against Saints!
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Good run out, manfredi took his try well and burgess looks to ooze confidence,
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I remember paying equivalent to £18 for three pints of Kilkenny in happy hour at Muddy Murphy's back in 1996 on the failed GB tour to Australia. We then went to Sentosa island and bought 3 large bottles of Tiger for around £2 each.
Club Strength tour 2A group stuck together throughout Hong Kong, Cairns, Sydney and Surfers but split up in Singapore due to the price of food and refreshment.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I thought the team played very well in terms of executing plays. Several youngsters showed enough and the more mature youngsters (oxymoron I know) such as Powell, Hughes and Burke showed up very well.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

We went to the Raffles Long Bar yesterday, Wednesday, it cost us £10 for a glass of lager & £15 each for a sling plus service charge!!!

So £49.50 for three drinks :eh: :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote:We went to the Raffles Long Bar yesterday, Wednesday, it cost us £10 for a glass of lager & £15 each for a sling plus service charge!!!

Stay out of any hotel bars Josie you will get stung with service charge big time.They give you nuts and nibbles in a little dish and a bloody big bill to go with it.When I was there I got stung in my hotel and in raffles too.Have a good time it's a lovely clean place.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:We went to the Raffles Long Bar yesterday, Wednesday, it cost us £10 for a glass of lager & £15 each for a sling plus service charge!!!

Stay out of any hotel bars Josie you will get stung with service charge big time.They give you nuts and nibbles in a little dish and a bloody big bill to go with it.When I was there I got stung in my hotel and in raffles too.Have a good time it's a lovely clean place.
We had to go to Raffles just for the sake of me having a Singapore sling. Stephen has been before so it was a treat for me.

Most bars we've been to are a bit dear :(

Taxis seem the cheapest thing out here :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:

We had to go to Raffles just for the sake of me having a Singapore sling. Stephen has been before so it was a treat for me.

Most bars we've been to are a bit dear :(

Taxis seem the cheapest thing out here :lol:
Some taxis from hotels to indoor markets are free. Watches are cheap there. You can pick up some very good rolex copies :D