Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

JJ was let go from the club along with others because we signed Stuart Fielden, who took the lions share of the salary cap at that time.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Some should remember that Wane himself was a prop forward and perhaps has more knowledgeable reasons for having James!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Some should remember that Wane himself was a prop forward and perhaps has more knowledgeable reasons for having James!

So on that basis we all have no right to comment on anything be it politics, be it retailing, be it rugby league, be it whatever.

Nobody is perfect and Wane hs got props wrong very badly previously; Powell and Luaki but perhaps none of us are qualified to dare criticise Wane!

The future WW style is elective mutism!!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Some should remember that Wane himself was a prop forward and perhaps has more knowledgeable reasons for having James!

So on that basis we all have no right to comment on anything be it politics, be it retailing, be it rugby league, be it whatever.

Nobody is perfect and Wane hs got props wrong very badly previously; Powell and Luaki but perhaps none of us are qualified to dare criticise Wane!

The future WW style is elective mutism!!
No on that basis it seems people are not allowed to have a differing view to you especially when it comes to supporting SW. It is clear as day you have always had an issue with SW for whatever reason and you will do anything to shine a negative down on him. I agree he is not perfect and has made mistakes but his pros far outweigh his cons IMO and I love watching WANEBALL don't you? :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You hopefully realise that I will only express a view that I believe in. Hence, if somebody disagrees then I will debate the relative merits of both views. I was brought up to believe that was what a debate was / is.

Wane could not care less as long as he delivers. If Wigan RLFC deliver it is a win win. My view of RL is that territory and possession are the fundamentals and I believe that Australian RL clubs play the game the correct way which is not Wane ball.
TrueBlueWarrior

cherry.pie wrote:James was simply signed to add numbers to the pack given the loss of Powell and Lauaki and to hopefully put some pressure on some of our props.

From what I've seen so far he's done exactly what is expected and it was a smart move. Take the derby. If James wasn't available then Wane would have to select either Dudson, Sutton or Austin. Now Dudson should be nowhere near a game like that because his form doesn't deserve it. Sutton and Austin also shouldn't be near a game like that because you can't be throwing 18 year old props into games because you're short on numbers. That happened with Prescott and O'Carroll and didn't do them much good long term.

Having James in the side means Wane can pick the young forwards on his own terms, which he is doing now with Sutton playing against Bradford and both Sutton and Austin possibly featuring this afternoon.

The only young Wigan players that James is potentially taking a spot from are the U19's props and they aren't ready to be playing regular SL games anyway. Even with James in the side they are getting an introduction to SL without having to be forced into the side due as the only available options.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:You hopefully realise that I will only express a view that I believe in. Hence, if somebody disagrees then I will debate the relative merits of both views. I was brought up to believe that was what a debate was / is.

Wane could not care less as long as he delivers. If Wigan RLFC deliver it is a win win. My view of RL is that territory and possession are the fundamentals and I believe that Australian RL clubs play the game the correct way which is not Wane ball.
CP, you know me I will debate with you all day long if I feel it necessary but also agree with you whole heartedly if you say something that makes sense, which very often you do by the way. I just feel as for whatever reason, you have a long standing gripe with SW and will lay blame at his door quite often undeservedly in my opinion. However, each to their own as they say!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Leaving aside whether Wane can do anything right, I agree that his record with props is conspicuously worse than, say, his development of play makers and a winning structure and culture. Which is surprising, given his background.
I can see the logic in having a big lump making 100 tackles and taking 100 drives than a young lad who isn't ready. As none of us knows how much he is costing (and I don't think Powell's wages counted under the cap, so he wasn't takin cap space away from any youngsters, fwiw) we can't know if this is sensible.
I think Wane has done enough to be generally in credit, though.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I just want to make it clear I am not saying JJ is a world beater or that he is better than our young props could potentially become. I have just said in terms of young props in recent years I think the club has made the right decisions when it comes to keeping them or moving them on and I trust SW to carry that on. It just seems some on here like to shove so called negatives at the feet of SW frequently, for me one thing SW cannot be labelled as is a coach that is reluctant in giving youth a chance, at the right time.
I'm not going to offer any arguements of my own. I understand CP's point of view and in many respects accept them. However, True Blues points above I feel more in tune with.I,like him am not averse to the 'Waneball' Because I believe rightly or wrongly we have the players/team to play that way. I again,like True Blue trust in Wane's methods which have done us no real damage so far.This is not to discount Cp's philosophy; I don't, like him beleive there is a one correct way of playing rugby league viz the Aussie way but like him I do think everyone has a right to express there thoughts in a forum such as ours. I luv the differen views expressed and gain enlightenment on many topics
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cherry, a lot of what you posted is incredibly valid apart from one fact. We never signed James with the intention of playing him. He joined the club as a coach. Adding him to the playing squad came later, an after thought.

IIRC, I read on another site and from what I saw myself that James was poor v Saints in that first half when they dominated parts of it. Remember this was a player not good enough for Salford or anybody else. It is penny pinching!

An alternative to your argument would have been to have not sent Greenwood to London or to have kept Spencer. Greenwood is old enough and big enough and to be honest if I wanted a forward to play 15 minutes here or there I would be confident in Sutton and Austin.

TBW mentioned props and you mentioned Preccy which made me remember Bryn Hargreaves. Interesting reading of how a promising player stood up really well and was then blocked and ended up leaving the club;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Hargreaves

Same period we had Lee Jewitt and Thomas Brindle and others who hardly ever got a game for the first team.

It is almost a case of needing a disaster to get an opportunity. Look at Greg Burke; no choice but to play, showed his potential and got a new contract on the back of that.

A concern for me was the Wane statement that James understand show he wants our props to play. Accepting nuances; the game for a prop remains basically run and tackle hard, make yards, do not miss tackles, get a quick POTB/slow their POTB. Whatsmore, if our young props do not know what is expected after several years at the club then I worry!