Best Goal Kicker Ever in Rugby League

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Best Goal Kicker Ever in Rugby League

Post by Owd Codger »

Jim Sullivan without a doubt.

But the best three I have seen in a Wigan shirt has been Botica, Richards, Farrell.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Jim Sullivan considering balls were heavier back then.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Sinfield
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Sinfield
IMO whenever Botica lined up a kick you expected it to go over didn't matter what the game situation was. IMO Sinfield can and does occasionally miss pressure kicks
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
jobo

Post by jobo »

cpwigan wrote:Botica was amazing but he was limited re distance. I never saw him but Jim Sullivan.
I used to think that about Botica i.e.
he lacked distance, until he converted a penalty in the world club challenge from the halfway line at Anfield.

Botica for me was the best I've seen, followed by Pat and Andy Farrell.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

I thought Botica would come out top - I never saw Jim Sullivan kick but from what people tell me who did he was well before his time and as stated the ball in those days was far heavier

Thak you for the your interest and responses

I could enance this thread by saying how come the other codes kicker seem to be far better than ours in Rugby League but will leave that for another time
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

BriH

Post by BriH »

Paul Charlton: Workington and Salford. Held the record for a long time I believe - most goals in a Season?
phild1

Post by phild1 »

curryman wrote:are we talking ever, as in for any team, or just for Wigan?

If its Wigan, then Botica wins it for place kicks for me, though for all round kicking, Pat Richards is as good as there has been. Then there is Jim Sullivan, of course, my grandad maintained he was the best ever, though I never saw him play.

I loved Laurie Gilfedder as well, the goal he kicked from the centre spot in the 1965 Cup Final at Wembley was magical.

In terms of the rest of rugby, Hazem El Masri was incredible. he kicked 891 goals for the Canterbury Bulldogs and even kicked 22 for the Lebanon !

Finally, whatever else you think of him, Kevin Sinfield is a kicking genius, his tactical kicking is superb and his goal kicking is sublime.
==phil>sinfield is a good kicker for his club .has he ever set the international scene on fire? I think not :sly:
phild1

Post by phild1 »

DON FOX..colin tyrer.ian ball.keith jarrett :cool:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

southernpie wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Sinfield
IMO whenever Botica lined up a kick you expected it to go over didn't matter what the game situation was. IMO Sinfield can and does occasionally miss pressure kicks
I was being mischievous Southern!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett