Sinking Ship

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Re: Sinking Ship

Post by ChrisA »

wow
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ChrisA posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
I am a Farrell fan. He is without doubt a modern great.

We need him now more than ever and now the going is really tough he's left the club-just like Edwards did when he went to play sub for London, Bradford or any other team outside Wigan met, but I digress.

I can't help but compare Farrell's trophy record with that of soccer legend Bryan Robson. Here again we have a super player and captain, but the man was unable to win anything apart from an odd F.A.cup, even though he played for one of the most famous and richest clubs in the world.

Farrell even managed to captain the team to the most famous loss at Wembley when Sheff beat us.

Now though the team is clearly not good enough and he should be here to oversee the rebuilding instead of lining his pockets and building a profile in union.

He owes every thing to the club and loyalty is a two way thing.Even though he has loser written all over his record we could do with his skill, size, leadeship and goal kicking right now.
Biggest load of crap ive read in a while, nice job.

Let me say that when we went through a similar experience around 96-98 when we had financial trouble and we had to let Offiah and Tuigamala and many others go, Farrel carried us through that. he was won more games for us than any other player has done in his era at the club. Hes put 100% effort, commitment and loyalty into Wigan Rugby League, more than anyone else ive ever seen apart from maybe Edwards.

Comments like this just make me sick, if 14 years of devoted service and loyalty isnt enough for you, then that is your problem, not Farrels.

My god I cam never take anything you say serious after this, you really are an idiot.
They guy has a point regarding his loses in Fianls but the quality of teams has improved.

The reason we won the GF in 98 was simple we bought it. We signed 3-4 great players then and won it comfortably.

But as he said in another post he already a milionaire. Im in a different position to most on here i walke out of a job and too a major pay cut, and now im happier apart from our recent results. Money is not always the answer it simplistic to say the least.

I suspect he is not happy at the club and wanted out. We have a history of problems in the club. Edwards and Monie to name a few.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

mario posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
I am a Farrell fan. He is without doubt a modern great.

We need him now more than ever and now the going is really tough he's left the club-just like Edwards did when he went to play sub for London, Bradford or any other team outside Wigan met, but I digress.

I can't help but compare Farrell's trophy record with that of soccer legend Bryan Robson. Here again we have a super player and captain, but the man was unable to win anything apart from an odd F.A.cup, even though he played for one of the most famous and richest clubs in the world.

Farrell even managed to captain the team to the most famous loss at Wembley when Sheff beat us.

Now though the team is clearly not good enough and he should be here to oversee the rebuilding instead of lining his pockets and building a profile in union.

He owes every thing to the club and loyalty is a two way thing.Even though he has loser written all over his record we could do with his skill, size, leadeship and goal kicking right now.
Can you name any players that have won more than him? other than another ex Wigan player?
In his early days he played with the best around. Even with me there theyd win trophies. His record in SL of winning trophies is not what he deserved. He deserved more but for variours reason he won 2 since the SL went into GF.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Edwards and Monie ? Please elaborate.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Edwards was forced out as reasons before have said.

Monie came in and went to a CC final and won the GF and yet DW + MO start interfering wanting to bring a new coach in and have him go upstairs. Seems people are not happy with what they have at times.

Monie and Edwards would have stayed had it not been for interference by other people.

How many coaches have we had sine SL stareted and how many have the Bull, Rhinos, Saints had. Yet they are now more stable than us and look a better propersition for the future. Yes we have good younsters but how many will be there in say 3-4 years time.

Lack of stability in the club stems from 2 people MO + DW. They should be ashamed.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
Edwards was forced out as reasons befoMonie came in and went to a CC final and won the GF and yet DW + MO start interfering wanting to bring a new coach in and have him go upstairs. Seems people are not happy with what they have at times.

Monie and Edwards would have stayed had it not been for interference by other people.

How many coaches have we had sine SL stareted and how many have the Bull, Rhinos, Saints had. Yet they are now more stable than us and look a better propersition for the future. Yes we have good younsters but how many will be there in say 3-4 years time.

Lack of stability in the club stems from 2 people MO + DW. They should be ashamed.
Right sentiment, but slightly off the truth. I've blamed ML for a lot but he's not to blame for Monie going 2nd time around. This was the last season at CP, and the Chairman causing the problems with was whichever of Mike Nolan or Peter Norbury was there at the time. This Chairman was more interested in scrimping with regards to money, things like not having hot water during training sessions, the Chairman getting into the dressing room to shout at the players even before the coach has got there, etc. Monie, not surprisingly, complained about the way the club seemed to be getting run down at such a level that it was affecting the playing staff, and the club booted him out. DW might have been involved, but reading Monie's book he puts most of the blame on the Chairman at the time. Surprisingly he's quite complimentary towards Chairman Mo, unlike Frank Endacott in his book who does effectively accuse ML of trying to interfere in everything. Didn't ML return during that first season at the JJB?

But the point about stability is well-made. If things aren't right then the club always seems to go for immediate panic solutions rather than giving the coach any chance to work things through. I mean, we got rid of Endacott, popular with players and many fans (although I remember lots of people on here didn't like him) because we dropped from 1st to 3rd after a couple of unlikely defeats against poor teams (along with the admittedly embarressing GF against Bradford - but then wouldn't we like the chance to get to OT this year?), it's not like we were in danger of dropping out of the 6 at the time!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Edwards wasn't forced out - he wanted to live in London.

Blimey its difficult enough to get the team to training when they all live in the borough!!!!!!