What's happened to Matty?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Re: What's happened to Matty?

Post by Dobby »

I think Smith is suffering without Green. Smith is the sort of player who is very good with a quality Stand Off but make him the main man and he isn't the same.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Maybe its too much responsibility?

Main play maker and only one when Lockers isn't there.

Having to guide a young stand off, who isn't a stand off, through games.

Only field kicker, or appears to be.

Responsibility for goal kicking.

Remedy - Play Hampshire at 6 and share the field kicking, also the goal kicking where approriate. That's most of those responsibilities halved.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Looks like Matty is now the new target!
No he's not. It would be unfair to blame him for the current run of results but in my view he is not good enough for Wigan.
Is this the same Smith that most were praising last season and played well for England.

Some have short memories when it suits and to have a go at him when Williams and others has hardly set the house on fire is wrong.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
No he's not. It would be unfair to blame him for the current run of results but in my view he is not good enough for Wigan.
Is this the same Smith that most were praising last season and played well for England.

Some have short memories when it suits and to have a go at him when Williams and others has hardly set the house on fire is wrong.
Praise when they do well, don't praise when they don't.
These are grown men & professionals, not kids.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

I don't think he's become a bad player over night, but IIRC both him and Green were being targeted before winning The Double.
Did they both become good overnight?
Inconsistency is the most likely explanation and he won't be the first sportsperson to improve before signing a new contract and then tail off.
On that note, didn't SW and SOL sign big new contracts? If SOL's injury problems are getting worse, would it be financially viable to lose him, SOL and SW in the same season?
I think that what we have now is likely to stay the same for a good few years.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

sc74 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: No he's not. It would be unfair to blame him for the current run of results but in my view he is not good enough for Wigan.

Praise when they do well, don't praise when they don't.
These are grown men & professionals, not kids.
well that saved me repeating my comment from the center thread, thanks :)
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Bring back Tommy.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

He's Joe average and that in my opinion makes him not good enough for Wigan. As I have said previously, he is not responsible for Wigan's poor start to the season but if we aspire to be a top class side then we need a better halfback and kicker than him. Unfortunately, it looks as though we will need to be patient for a couple of years until our juniors make the permanent step up.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Dobby wrote:I think Smith is suffering without Green. Smith is the sort of player who is very good with a quality Stand Off but make him the main man and he isn't the same.
So are you stating that Williams is not good enough at 6. We can blame Matty Smith all we like but a beaten pack and even Thurston will look poor.

Did not see HKR game but seen the others and the pack does not dominate and get enough yardage to put Smith in a position to kick from over the half way line.

Now some blame Smith but again a player through the system at 6 seems to get away with it. He has kicking responsibilities but is he good enough or not allowed to kick. Green kicked so its got to be one or the other.
markill

Post by markill »

The pack doesn't dominate to create space for the halves because they aren't asked to. Without lockers fronting up to the line then passing late there is no space created for either half unless plays are executed to perfection.
But, Smith, McIlorum, Bowen and the likes need to just tell the side that we'll have a few sets of forward play to win the field position, get two scores up, then pass it about all they like whilst the forwards energy is saved for defending. Then if we do concede, use the bench for fresh forwards and work the position, get the lead back, go again.
It's what Madge does. It what Wane did for much of year 1 and in the big game in year 2. Watch how Souths will win field position, score off a kick or quick potb from a prop, then start opening it up with more lines being run, more passes thrown and more Inglis and Walker showing their skills. Now, we don't have those two, but we can have that game plan. We bring it out in the playoffs every year. Why isn't it good enough for away games in the regular season?
Then we'll see how Smith can lead a team around and control a game.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod