Wigan v Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan v Hull

Post by Caboosegg »

robspark wrote:How long is Charnley going to be out for? Perhaps Manfredi will get a recall next week?
I don't know how long he will be out but on this. The ref was a disgrace. Charnley hobbled of to the far side of the pitch as he couldn't walk but the ref wouldn't let him be subbed until he went off the correct side. What happened to player welfare.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Poor match between two poor teams tonight.
Next week will be a squeaky bum night.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:So does every mistake now link to 'Waneball'?

What about other teams that don't play 'Waneball' surely they don't make any mistakes then right?
Did you not read what I wrote?

Right from the kick off after scoring a try we try a stupid move in our own 20m and give possession away.

We do it time and again. It is what people are constantly complaining about. Trying to put a move on in our 20m area that doesn't belong there. There was no reason to do it.

If there is such as thing as Wane ball that was it.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
thegimble wrote:Win is a win but tbh more questions than answers.

Liam Farrell needs dropping. 2-3 penalties again and 1 try bombed. He is a liability.
By all accounts he could have backed himself for a try but passed to an unsuspecting Burgess who fumbled it!
There was some poor decision making going on and with that better we could have had couple more possible.

If Burgess got a pass to the hands at the right height I'd be amazed. The best seemed to be at knee height, quite a few were behind him and several at his feet.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: The negatives were obvious but let's look at some positives.

Farrell wasn't lying on. The penalties given against him were forced by hull or as far as I can tell a incorrect call from Ref (who was rubbish)
For the first penalty he gave away he lifted the players ankle. It was clearly a penalty.

We played basic and it worked at first no one should apart but it was working. Then the second half happened....
We looked good for the first 10 minutes until we scored. Then we dropped the ball with the stupid move I have mentioned elsewhere from the kickoff. Then a short time later Faz gave the penalty away and from them on we seemed to give a penally away or knock-on drop the ball at fairly regular intervals so we never got any real momentum going.

The less said about the 2nd half the better. Camped in the Hull half for most of it. I think they went up the other end about twice and scored and thanks to having a goal kicker who slotted a beauty from the touchline is was 13-12 with us thanking our lucky stars the third time they got up there right at the end they passed into touch!

The biggest positive for me was Mossop. He made yards with some direct running and looked very good.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

You couldn't fault the effort tonight, everyone worked hard but we looked short of confidence and ideas. Less penalties than in the last couple of games but a lack of go forward and little leadership/direction from the experienced players who should be taking on that role. I'd like to see Sarge at fullback again but we can't spare him from the centre. Joel is or second best centre but we need him in the backrow. Did we really start with Patrick at 13? Is he better than Bateman? He played better than in his other games so I suppose that may suggest he's not a prop. Will Waney give Hampshire a game next week when he knows Sinfield will put up plenty of bombs? I like young Sutton but feel that he now needs a break. The win was vital and will hopefully help confidence but we need to start improving quickly. We wouldn't have beaten any of the top teams tonight. Hull had a lot of injuries and were themselves short on confidence.
Premium

Post by Premium »

Until we get some creative players at half back we will not progress it's been like this for several seasons Matty Smith is not good enough I'm sorry but it's a fact and if you cannot see that then rerun a few videos until the penny drops he cannot organise his back line he goes missing in matches and hasn't got a any idea how to break the line
there is nothing wrong in the forwards we just need a someone ( I know it's hard to find some one ) to inspire the back line and organise things time and time again we made attempts to score we camp out on the opposition line but cannot convert pressure into points and its this issue that's causing it all our attacks it breaks down because of this problem I'm afraid it will continue like this until this issue is addressed bullying other teams ain't going to cut it we are a one trick pony with this set move ( introduced by McGuire ) which worked for a season that nobody is buying that anymore the team has not got an organiser on e field and until this changes we will not become a top side surely the management can see this ??
Sorry for the rant but it's time things were changed
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Some of so called stars need to spend some time playing for Workington to make them come to heel. Not everybody likes Wane, but he is the current Coach.If some of the players think they are above being told what to do and how to conduct themselves on the field, they need to be put in their place. A spell playing in the lower leagues might make them consider what it means to pull on the Wigan shirt :(
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

captinjack wrote:Some of so called stars need to spend some time playing for Workington to make them come to heel. Not everybody likes Wane, but he is the current Coach.If some of the players think they are above being told what to do and how to conduct themselves on the field, they need to be put in their place. A spell playing in the lower leagues might make them consider what it means to pull on the Wigan shirt :(
We have some good players but they are being made to look poor. We also have some guys who are not Wigan standard. We have some good young lads who need to be helped and supported by older pros. We have a coach who needs to alter/amend the way we play otherwise he needs to walk. That display was inept at best. The standard of this league is poor yet we look like relegation fodder at the moment!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

southportcdm wrote:You couldn't fault the effort tonight, everyone worked hard but we looked short of confidence and ideas. Less penalties than in the last couple of games but a lack of go forward and little leadership/direction from the experienced players who should be taking on that role. I'd like to see Sarge at fullback again but we can't spare him from the centre. Joel is or second best centre but we need him in the backrow. Did we really start with Patrick at 13? Is he better than Bateman? He played better than in his other games so I suppose that may suggest he's not a prop. Will Waney give Hampshire a game next week when he knows Sinfield will put up plenty of bombs? I like young Sutton but feel that he now needs a break. The win was vital and will hopefully help confidence but we need to start improving quickly. We wouldn't have beaten any of the top teams tonight. Hull had a lot of injuries and were themselves short on confidence.
I think a lot of what you say makes sense. For a team like Wigan to have to play Joel at centre is criminal, but unfortunately it is a necessity - Gelling is not and never will be a centre less so a winger. Bowen is past his sell by date, it is sad to see a great player embarrassed in this way. Patrick has been poor so far (why has he been unable to produce the form he showed so often at Huddersfield?) what has happened to Tuatai's offloading? Our forwards do not hunt as a pack, we fail to support the player in possession, we don't offer options to our playmakers, we look unfit. Supporters are voting with their feet, can you blame them for not wanting to watch such dross?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards