I never thought I would say this

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: I never thought I would say this

Post by josie andrews »

thegimble wrote:
ddtftf wrote:Hampshire could have cost us the game last night, I know he is a favourite on here, but the reality is that he is terrible under a high ball, this is not the first time we have seen this flaw in his game.
Last night he got caught with the biggest sin for a FB his body in the wrong position never had his back to the opposition. That part of the game he needs to improve.

But most FB miss a few Sam was not the greatest in the world he made errors.
So did Matty Bowen they can all make that mistake.

I thought Rocky was immense at FB v Saints & Catalan
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

josie andrews wrote:
thegimble wrote:
ddtftf wrote:Hampshire could have cost us the game last night, I know he is a favourite on here, but the reality is that he is terrible under a high ball, this is not the first time we have seen this flaw in his game.
Last night he got caught with the biggest sin for a FB his body in the wrong position never had his back to the opposition. That part of the game he needs to improve.

I don't think people are saying Rocky is a bad player or that he shouldn't make mistakes, I think it is more about how certain players make mistakes and it is ignored where as others make mistakes and they are the anti-Christ!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Hampshires dropped balls were schoolboy errors.

You teach under 8s to catch balls ensuring you do not knock on by applying basic technique to ensure if you do drop it the ball goes backwards.

So no double standards from me :D
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
thegimble wrote: Last night he got caught with the biggest sin for a FB his body in the wrong position never had his back to the opposition. That part of the game he needs to improve.

I don't think people are saying Rocky is a bad player or that he shouldn't make mistakes, I think it is more about how certain players make mistakes and it is ignored where as others make mistakes and they are the anti-Christ!!
I agree with this.

Rocky missed 7 goals last week got a bit not much of criticism.
2 Howlers last night and not much again.

Bowen missed 2 would get hammered
Smith kicked 1 from 7 in a game would have been slaughtered
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

thegimble wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Agree 100%.

Like all on here, I want Rocky to do well - it's the extreme attitudes to errors from such as Bowen compared with favourites like Sam or Rocky that is the issue here. Tautai got a bit of stick last week which I thought was possibly because he's an "outsider".

To be fair, every one of our players puts the effort in, bodies on the line etc. (The direst times at Wigan were when this wasn't true e.g. when George Fairbairn was the only one who looked like he cared.) Point out players' errors and shortcomings by all means, but try to keep a sense of proportion.

Btw, the "Gelling's no centre" crowd have gone quiet - for now!

I agree with this.

Rocky missed 7 goals last week got a bit not much of criticism.
2 Howlers last night and not much again.

Bowen missed 2 would get hammered
Smith kicked 1 from 7 in a game would have been slaughtered
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

For what it is worth.I would not even consider letting Josh go.He's the kind of player that would come to haunt us big style.I know his form before injury was not fantstic either in defence or attack but a goodplayer does not become a bad player over night.I would suggest that it was merely a dip in form.I realize that he's probably on a fair old whack of money and affects the salary cap but could you imagine the clammer from our rivals if he was on the open market.Anyway I'm away to Cala D'or in the morning with a smile on my face after last nights game and have already sorted a bar for the Wakey game.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Gelling played a stormer last night and shows how sometimes he can make it all come together, but still not consistent enough for me to be a starting 3. You never know which Gelling is going to play on the day !

Rocky was good but IMO not immense, without the dropped balls he would have been though. AND if Rocky had of dropped both balls and played like a one legged donkey as Bowen usually does then YES i would have hammed his performance like Bowen
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
doc

Post by doc »

To be fair to Hampshire they were very good bombs. Once we started to put pressure on the kicker a bit more they stopped.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I thought the same about Hampshire, and with seeing this it strengthens my initial thoughts that he is not a fullback and should play his natural position that is Stand-Off.
For me Dan cost us a clear 10 points with those poor tackles going too high on Bridge.