Wane to go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wane to go

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Joke to say Wane has to go.

With the youngest team I have seen in years we
Ended second in the league and lost buy 2 points in the GF.

Trophieless for two season yes but with a drain on talent and youngster being used to replace them we are competing and for two years we have been the second best team in the league..

Felt sorry for smith today. He's not a world beater but he's generally very solid and has a low error rate. Tonight his two knock ons cost us :(
Who's fault is it youngsters have replaced experienced players? You win nowt with kids and Wane should know this

Leeds won and we didn't so its no excuse anyway as winng is the object of the exercise. Being second best with kids or not is not good enough.

If I was IL I'd have had a new coach lined up weeks ago ready to take over next season with this game Wane's last one in charge regardless of the result. Why? Because Wane has taken this team as far as he can and he just isn't that good.

jobo

Post by jobo »

morley pie eater wrote:Not joining the usual post mortem or blame game, but well done to every one of the lads tonight. Some errors but no question whatsoever re commitment/effort. Proud of every player.

I remember Wembley 1984 against Mick Adams' Widnes team We lost but the next 10 years were ours. Ditto tonight IMO.
Certainly hope so but back then the feeling was all about ambition and anticipation following the wilderness years. Don't get the same sense now.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:WE blew it but was that down to Wane. I am not a fan but we gave them 2 tries. It would be interesting to see who made the call for 2 when ahead. I think we should have kept the pressure on and gone for 6. Still hindsight etc etc.
Does it matter if today the team blew it when considering if the coach is the right man for the job?

Given we are going to go into next season with a side very little changed from this and minus a goal kicker now Bowen has gone I have no confidence Wane will get any more out of the team than he has this season which has not been enough.

He's made some poor decisions this season and I don't know if its him, IL or both but the seeming aversion to signing player and obsession with the belief that the current squad is good enough is baffling because it just isn't.
Where is the squad for 2016 not good enough Dave?

I am no Wane fan. I think interchanging Mac hurt us today; 2 points when 2 up hurt us but equally the players on the pitch blew it today v a tremendously gutsy never say die Leeds team.
In the same areas it was lacking this year. No goal kicker, Smith offers liite at Scrum half. We have no interchange hooker but Wane keeps taking MM off (can't believe he didn't do the full 80 today) and in the centres.

Centre remains a problem though Gildart may have solved one issue there as I simply do not rate Sarge or Gelling.

We need a tough prop as well.

We had all these issues at the start of this season and we still have them.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

jobo wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:Not joining the usual post mortem or blame game, but well done to every one of the lads tonight. Some errors but no question whatsoever re commitment/effort. Proud of every player.

I remember Wembley 1984 against Mick Adams' Widnes team We lost but the next 10 years were ours. Ditto tonight IMO.
Certainly hope so but back then the feeling was all about ambition and anticipation following the wilderness years. Don't get the same sense now.
More like "why aren't we dominating the SL with this side if Wane and IL think it is good enough"

Too many times we make poor decisions on field and tonight was no different.

The side came together more by luck than Wane's good judgement. We persist with rotating our hooker with a mediocre player (what DID happen to Logan) and continue to play some very out of form players in our side despite it being as conspicuous as a boil on the bum
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
More like "why aren't we dominating the SL with this side if Wane and IL think it is good enough"
Yes, if there is nothing much wrong with the squad why indeed. The exits from the cup these last two seasons and the persistently bad away form need explaining.

The side came together more by luck than Wane's good judgement.
Exactly. It reduced Wane's options which is often a good thing.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Perhaps he should go. He's given it his best shot but maybe he just isn't up to coaching at the highest level. No doubting his passion, but does he have the tactical nous?

In terms of players, Matty Smith needs to go. Nothing against him, he gives it his all but he just isn't good enough. I said it when he signed for us and I still believe it.

Positives?

Manfredi is a class act
Williams ditto and will only get better
Our forwards are young AND look like they could dominate going forward.

I do worry that Sam T will come back and be a shadow of his former self.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I had that fear re Sam too Wintergreen. I no longer do and think he will be fine.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
Yes, if there is nothing much wrong with the squad why indeed. The exits from the cup these last two seasons and the persistently bad away form need explaining.

The side came together more by luck than Wane's good judgement.
Exactly. It reduced Wane's options which is often a good thing.
The squad has under achieved this season and before. I would even argue we did so under Madge in his final season but for obvious reasons (trying to do 2 jobs at the same prep for South Sydney)

2015 has been a season of under achievement. The one big plus is most of the squad offer several years of future success. Leeds for example face a struggle to rebuild but the bottom line is 2015 saw them cap an era off perfectly.

Tonight I think we blew it albeit we might have got some harsh calls. Nevertheless, our coach and players made more bad calls than the officials.
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Wintergreen wrote:Perhaps he should go. He's given it his best shot but maybe he just isn't up to coaching at the highest level. No doubting his passion, but does he have the tactical nous?

In terms of players, Matty Smith needs to go. Nothing against him, he gives it his all but he just isn't good enough. I said it when he signed for us and I still believe it.

Positives?

Manfredi is a class act
Williams ditto and will only get better
Our forwards are young AND look like they could dominate going forward.

The better team won tonight. I have a similar view on this matter as you. I'm happy with our forwards but apart from George we don't have a scrum half and dummy half who are creative. Perhaps moving Hampshire to stand off and George to Dummy half would be benificial. I also agree Manfredi is a class act and like you I do worry and I've said this before that we may have bought a' pup' in ST. I hope not. Anyway well. done ladsYou did your best and it was very nearly enough.

Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

For me the biggest problem was the fall back of the video ref, McGuire looses the ball, it's either play on or scrum, the referee makes neither call. He waits sees what transpires and then referers it to the video. If he shouts all on, game carries on, he blows his whistle games stops, but all players had see the ball dropped. But I am confused, why was manfredi given as a knock on when he hacked it forward.
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!