Is IL Deluded?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Is IL Deluded?

Post by Wintergreen »

No he isn't deluded.

His words were total bolleaux and were NOT the words of a ruthless winner. Can you imagine the "gang of 4" saying that?

The reality is I still think he is a chairman who wishes to do everything on the cheap. Keeping the "kids" happy and telling them "don't worry, you did your best, everything will be alright" is part of this.

Wane, on the other hand is more old school, and despite his tactical failings, knows this to be a load of horse manure.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The most annoying thing is that a few different tactics and calls here and there would mean we could have won the last 2 GF and the LLS this year.

IL believes we are coming into a period were our youngsters can start to dominate which is what Saints and Leeds have had for a period of time. The worrying thing is that this has been promised for so long but we continually lose some of our best players.

From losing players like Lealeui, Finch, Hoffman, Richards, Carmont we really have had a large turnover of players.

It is the loss of players like Tomkins, Mossop, Tomkins that were really a big kick when we look at Leeds who have retained a core of players and attracted well. Now we are losing Burgess this year. Who do we lose next ? Manfredi, Gildart, Williams, Hampshire, Sutton? And the cycle goes on and we are promised another few years of development to then rule for 10 years.

We have the production line but we do not retain these players.
We have the capability but do not employ the right tactics at the right time which has hurt us over the last two years.

Inconsistency against lesser teams, dumb rugby and poor away form ruins the LLS and Challenge cup. Great form in play offs and super 8s then a lack of flexibility and plan B has hurt us in the big games that really mattered.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

There's season tickets up for sale and a positive spin has to be put on the matter. It's like "pie in the sky when you die", believe it if you like or, like me, be fully confident nothing will change and it will be the same old same old next season.
Some will then turn round and say you can't expect to win every trophy and once again that long over due pot will be in somebody else's cabinet!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
kevccool

Post by kevccool »

I think the margins are so small. Like a previous poster has said we could have easily won the last 2 grand finals (a moment of madness and a knock on apart). If that had of happened IL is a hero, Shaun Wane is hero and everything is rosy. Two small incidents that IL had no control over end up defining him! I think we sometimes have to remember that Rugby is only a sport and is only entertainment. We as supporters all want to win and demand the best but mistakes on the pitch happen and someone has to win and lose. I left Old Trafford disappointed, proud of the effort and thoroughly entertained. I took my little boy to his first game and the smile on his face all game (he had no idea who won or lost!) meant more to me than winning any game of rugby - perhaps some of the doom mongers need more in their life?
Wandering Warrior

kevccool wrote:I think the margins are so small. Like a previous poster has said we could have easily won the last 2 grand finals (a moment of madness and a knock on apart). If that had of happened IL is a hero, Shaun Wane is hero and everything is rosy. Two small incidents that IL had no control over end up defining him! I think we sometimes have to remember that Rugby is only a sport and is only entertainment. We as supporters all want to win and demand the best but mistakes on the pitch happen and someone has to win and lose. I left Old Trafford disappointed, proud of the effort and thoroughly entertained. I took my little boy to his first game and the smile on his face all game (he had no idea who won or lost!) meant more to me than winning any game of rugby - perhaps some of the doom mongers need more in their life?
Your right, when it matters, the fans have been let down for whatever reason?
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

Hi mike

After reading the posts I think he's just jealous he never got invited to the do lol and j think most rl teams would do anything to have a set up from u16 s to the first team and be were we are, but hey what do I know
Wandering Warrior

And an empty pot cupboard?
In that case it's all in vain!!!
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

Sorry u forget we have won the under 19 grand final the week before the main one so hardly an empty cabinet and look at sl and how many players have come through the Wigan system and not playing in SL really crap establishment we have
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Seinfeld79 wrote:I have thought for some time that IL gets a hard time from this forum. You may not always agree with what he says or does but to call him clueless and deluded is very harsh in my opinion.
If you represent Wigan and tell supporters to be happy and rejoice at two successive years of failure is indeed clueless and deluded.

Likewise to offer the statement remember how old that Leeds team are that just won the treble. I mean they will not strengthen. Nor will other teams either is clueless and deluded.

think success at a fixed age group automatically guarantees success in an open age group competition is clueless and deluded. I bet Leeds fans hated celebrating a treble success with an old team and Wigan fans are delirious at 2 successive barren years but at least the team are young is clueless and deluded.

OR Maybe just maybe IL is the best since Ratner and an amazing door to door salesman convincing devoted fans that everything will be okay as they part with their hard earned. If so, is IL incredibly clever and it is we the fans who are clueless and deluded?
Why do you need to insult people cp? I find it in bad taste.
Hear, hear!
Wandering Warrior

Stuwigan wrote:Sorry u forget we have won the under 19 grand final the week before the main one so hardly an empty cabinet and look at sl and how many players have come through the Wigan system and not playing in SL really crap establishment we have
If you're happy with that then fine, I'm not, we'll have to beg to differ!!