Wayne Bennett

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
endoman

Re: Wayne Bennett

Post by endoman »

cpwigan wrote:
markill wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I am not suggesting WB is not a great / better coach but does nobody else find it odd to give McNamara the boot when he seems to be on the up / achieving etc.
I see where you're coming from CP, but I think if you're bringing Bennett in (even as a support/mentor role to a head coach like he did with NZ) you can't keep the guy there who's been doing the job for a number of years. That would be strange I think and harder to bring the two paths together than starting with a new system. Obviously whatever they're doing is more with WC in mind than 4N.
I have no view right or wrong on WB being appointed, probably like most favour it albeit we have talk about a building process, McNamara building the squad over seasons. Will that be derailed by WB coming in , who knows.
So long as we can finally beat the Aussies in a series I don't care about the build process. Just get the best team out on the park, which I don't think we've done for many years. This might be the spark the International game so desperately needs.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

For a long while I always thought the Intl players didn't believe in McNamara as they were getting far better coaching at club level.

That won't happen with Bennett in charge. For all of them he will be the best coach they've ever been coached by.
I wonder if there will be fewer off season operations preventing inclusion in the Intl squad.
Perhaps some minor ops will be delayed!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:I am not suggesting WB is not a great / better coach but does nobody else find it odd to give McNamara the boot when he seems to be on the up / achieving etc.
No because there is more to this CP and I do think McNamara does not want to continue otherwise he would not have run his contract out.

He would have had a new one before the end of the series with NZ.

Or Bennett was approached Months ago and declared an interest. And Bennett is as good as England could get.
Andrew0604

Post by Andrew0604 »

Potentially the best thing to happen to English RL in a generation. All we need now is IL to tap him up while Brisbane are here and get us the best.

As for those who hope for Wane to work as his assistant and learn from the master. He was assistant to Madge but decided to do his own thing when he left!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Andrew0604 wrote:Potentially the best thing to happen to English RL in a generation. All we need now is IL to tap him up while Brisbane are here and get us the best.

As for those who hope for Wane to work as his assistant and learn from the master. He was assistant to Madge but decided to do his own thing when he left!!
Surely you aren't comparing Wayne Bennett to Michael Maguire ???????? ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

thegimble wrote:
No because there is more to this CP and I do think McNamara does not want to continue otherwise he would not have run his contract out.

Or Bennett was approached Months ago and declared an interest. And Bennett is as good as England could get.
I may be wrong but IIRC the RFL have been courting Bennett for years and would have appointed 2-4 years ago. I struggle to see why McNamara would walk when he has IMO the best squad he has probably ever had.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

wonder if there is any more Brit/Aussies he can bring with him .

Good luck to the guy hey macarena was very average player and coach
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just the opposite. You should never be afraid to do what it takes to improve the side. We did exactly the same with the Clarke/McInnes coaching duo replacing them despite Wigan's first major success in a long time when they won the CC.

It may be ruthless but it shows some ambition from the RFL for a change.

SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:
thegimble wrote:

I may be wrong but IIRC the RFL have been courting Bennett for years and would have appointed 2-4 years ago. I struggle to see why McNamara would walk when he has IMO the best squad he has probably ever had.
Considering WB is retaining his position of head coach at the Broncos do you think that will place constraints on his position with England?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
Andrew0604 wrote:Potentially the best thing to happen to English RL in a generation. All we need now is IL to tap him up while Brisbane are here and get us the best.

Surely you aren't comparing Wayne Bennett to Michael Maguire ???????? ????
No he is suggesting history would repeat itself. He's making the point that Wane decided he knew better than Madge and is suggesting Wane would be exactly the same with Bennett if he took over as England coach in two years time.

Instead of tweaking and building on the success of his former head coach he'd decide he knew better, even if this is Bennett.

For Wane to benefit from being assistant coach to Bennett he'd have to be open to being taught more about coaching but the evidence suggests he wouldn't be.