Squad v Cats

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Re: Squad v Cats

Post by AdamMac »

Yes I don't deny he said that and I think we all know Wane is better kept away from a microphone, but the original post lends you to think he's basically expecting to lose.

This is never the case with Wane. He's to bullish for that. I do agree that its an odd statement to make about other clubs not having to deal with that - it was the managements choice!

Proof will be in the pudding tomorrow I suppose. None of us really no what to expect do we as the pre season friendlies were a non event really.

I hope its not a knock on athon and with balls being thrown behind player and hitting terrafirma (sorry stevo) otherwise the knives will be out!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would love to see us start the season in great form but IIRC, we never did under either Lowe or Monie and they had great squads etc. Win or lose this week and nothing is proved. 4 to 8 weeks seems a reasonable time to assess the season start IMO.

WW, chill; nobody is anything etc. Meds is a wind up merchant, nobody bites unless they are silly; you did not bite did you ;)

FWIW IMO 2016

1. Wigan
2. Leeds
3. Catalans
4. St Helens

Is that positive enough :eusa2:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:I would love to see us start the season in great form but IIRC, we never did under either Lowe or Monie and they had great squads etc. Win or lose this week and nothing is proved. 4 to 8 weeks seems a reasonable time to assess the season start IMO.

WW, chill; nobody is anything etc. Meds is a wind up merchant, nobody bites unless they are silly; you did not bite did you ;)

FWIW IMO 2016

1. Wigan
2. Leeds
3. Catalans
4. St Helens

Is that positive enough :eusa2:
Happy Clapper :wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I even put one in my post to appease WW :wink:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote: Will it? Last year when the international players were brought back during pre-season and playing pre-season fixtures our form was dire for about two or three months.
Why does one follow the other? In any case I don't get the need to treat the international players with such kid gloves. England played NZ on 14th November. Almost three months ago.

I don't think playing the full team for the last friendly would see them keel over half way through the first league game due to exhaustion.
The result tomorrow night confirms nothing one way or the other. If we win it doesn't mean Wane has come up with a genius plan, and if we lose it doesn't mean that he's a crackpot. One game can never really tell you anything, especially not the opening game of a season.
The result won't confirm things one way or the other but how the team plays will, win or lose.

Play well and look sharp over the next few games then we can cancel pre-season from now on.

Look shoddy as we did at the start of last season and play poorly then it vindicates the calls for better preparation, even if we scrape wins.
It's also possible that the results would be pretty much the same no matter what, but we could take a reasonable guess after the first couple of months.
We put in some dire performances last year early on at home despite winning. We made such hard work of beating some very poor sides it just was not good at all.

We didn't lose a home game all season of course but I want to see us looking for more convincing than we did last season early on.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I always remember my father chatting to Westy and saying how well Nick Du Toit was playing at the time and Westy said he is BUT you can only play/last doing that for so long. This was an era that whilst hard/dirty had nowhere near the wrestling/joint manipulation that goes on today.

I honestly believe that generally you only have so many games in the tank and that looking after players is in theirs and our interest as fans.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I find it quite touching this faith in Sarginson at fullback. Have you all forgotten that apart from one two week period in 2014 he has never been able to tackle an egg?
Having watched the size,speed and normal meaness of the Wire pack last night I would also be prepared to put them in the top four now.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
exiled

Post by exiled »

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bizarre :conf:

Oh well fingers crossed.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »