Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Hampshire

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Well he can't get in Wigans team as a 6/7 or FB, he can't get in Cas team as a 6/7 or FB even when both have injuries they play other players out of position before Rocky!

I have nothing against the lad at all and I genuinely hope he makes it big for us but let's be honest he isn't a baby anymore and needs to start letting his actions do the talking for him on the pitch, something he hasn't done as of yet!! What really irritates me more than anything is he gets more praise, plaudits and recognition for quite frankly doing nothing of any significance yet but other youngsters that perform consistently well for OUR first team aren't recognised half as much! That isn't aimed at anyone on here by the way!!

Rocky needs to play better it's as simple as that!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Well he can't get in Wigans team as a 6/7 or FB, he can't get in Cas team as a 6/7 or FB even when both have injuries they play other players out of position before Rocky!

I have nothing against the lad at all and I genuinely hope he makes it big for us but let's be honest he isn't a baby anymore and needs to start letting his actions do the talking for him on the pitch, something he hasn't done as of yet!! What really irritates me more than anything is he gets more praise, plaudits and recognition for quite frankly doing nothing of any significance yet but other youngsters that perform consistently well for OUR first team aren't recognised half as much! That isn't aimed at anyone on here by the way!!

He cannot get into the 6/7 positions because of more experienced players in front of him plus on occasions Powell has deemed it necessary to have a more physical forward at number six for reasons best known to himself.

I have never understood why Powell signed him in the first place if he already had more experienced half backs and why Hampshire agreed to go to Castleford when surely he could that his chances were limited for the same reasons.

And unless anyone has seen him play in all games when selected, how can anyone make opinions on his performances as a whole. From what I have seen of him in the games on television, he has not done all that bad considering he is playing under a different Coach, different team mates and above all, a different system and game plan.

Give the lad a break!
markill

Post by markill »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Well he can't get in Wigans team as a 6/7 or FB, he can't get in Cas team as a 6/7 or FB even when both have injuries they play other players out of position before Rocky!

He cannot get into the 6/7 positions because of more experienced players in front of him plus on occasions Powell has deemed it necessary to have a more physical forward at number six for reasons best known to himself.

I have never understood why Powell signed him in the first place if he already had more experienced half backs and why Hampshire agreed to go to Castleford when surely he could that his chances were limited for the same reasons.

And unless anyone has seen him play in all games when selected, how can anyone make opinions on his performances as a whole. From what I have seen of him in the games on television, he has not done all that bad considering he is playing under a different Coach, different team mates and above all, a different system and game plan.

Give the lad a break!
Grant Millington has been picked in the halves ahead of him. How can people be blind to that? They had two experienced halves at Castleford and one of them has been injured almost all season. If they had enough cover they wouldn't have signed Chase
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The truth is two coaches now have failed to move his career on,now of course it's the coaches fault the lads overly zealous supporters will claim I just don't know why he has utterly failed at Cas,when as we all know they've had crippling injuries,when a prop is picked ahead of you in your position then something is clearly wrong.

I feel fans have heaped praise upon him were frankly it wasn't justified,give these lads a chance to grow and certainly don't start comparing them to player x,y or z it's very unfair to the player concerned you have to give the m room grow and not become player x's clone.

He clearly got bad advice over the Cas move,yet that said Powell is a coach I admire for the way he and his teams play the game,so I can see why the advisors and the lad himself thought it could offer something else,I always thought he would make a go of it and would join the club at the end of the loan deal.

He should have dropped down a division and gone to say Bradford or Leigh for instance and got his career going there,I don't know where he would now fit in at Wigan,there must be cap issues brewing by seasons end Sosa I say I'm not sure were he's going to go,I don't see it to be honest.

Putting my mystic meg hat on for a second at best I see another loan deal at worst I see him leaving.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

cpwigan wrote:Maybe because he has the same if not better record than Sam did and if like Sam he is given an opportunity he might well be a fantastic player for Wigan.

And the youngster revealed that it has been a difficult transition.

“It has been testing,” he told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

“I think I’ve come from a system at Wigan which is totally different to here and it has been hard to get in. But these things happen. I took the risk to come to Cas and I do think you have to take risks in this sport. That’s what I’ve done.
“I’ve stuck my neck out and it’s not quite paid off but I’m confident in myself that something will happen.”

The youngster moved to the wing during his recent appearance in an attempt to impress Daryl Powell.

“I put my hand up to play as we were struggling for wingers

“It was the first time I’d ever played there but I’ve not been playing and thought why not have a new challenge.”
Sorry i disagree

Sam scored 5 tries on his first team debut, yes it was against a lower end team but from the get go Sam showed he had what it took to be at first grade, he hit the ground running.

Hampshire has played at half back a good handful of times now to show something and he has shown very little to make anyone see him as anything other than average.

Being an astounding junior is no guarantee of anything, he might work out to be a good winger but he just isnt cut out IMO to be a SL half back
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

Give the lad a break!
All I keep hearing are excuses, he needs to play better simple as that!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
moto748

Post by moto748 »

God wrote: You look at Tierney and his attitude and he's been well rewarded, something about Rocky doesn't seem right and it's the same at Cas.
Indeed. Even the like of Shorrocks, who has unfussily plied his trade in the U-19s and bided his time (long injury lay-off, too), and who is, it seems, in front of Rocky in the pecking order now.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote:
God wrote: You look at Tierney and his attitude and he's been well rewarded, something about Rocky doesn't seem right and it's the same at Cas.
Indeed. Even the like of Shorrocks, who has unfussily plied his trade in the U-19s and bided his time (long injury lay-off, too), and who is, it seems, in front of Rocky in the pecking order now.
is this not also down to Shorrocks has proven he can play his position at SL level (from the few games hes played so far) Rocky wants to be a half but so far hasnt shown hes capable at SL level, where as he was showing he was a good stand in fullback, and possible discovered he will be okay on the wing at Cas?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

It was a nice step that Hampshire made for his 2nd try and he showed his natural pace.
Is it an attitude problem with him, as he can clearly play when he's in the right frame of mind.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

No straw damn us wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Meds how many young players, even seasoned players can possibly play FB, Wing and 6/7 ?
Wigan players I can remember,
Billy Boston, Eric Ashton, Ashton, Kev O'Loughlin, Bill Francis, Colin Tyrer? Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards.
I should have added Joe Lydon to the list, a few half decent players in there :D