Re: Recruitment for 2017

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Enter the new age then Wire and Hull should have the league to themselves for the next few years.

We (like st helens) are stuck in neutral at the moment treading water we are just lucky the tide isnt that strong anymore.
Spot on!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Longstanding

Post by Longstanding »

All hope has vanished unless Lennigan comes to the rescue. How can he sell the present image to business?. We are unskilled thugs.
BriH

Post by BriH »

DaveO wrote:The worst bit is this from that link:

“They’re three big players that will add a lot to our team, so we don’t feel the need to do anything else at this stage. We’ve got a squad that’s working and a system that is working.

Could have fooled me!
And me! It's as if IL, KR and SW don't see what is glaringly obvious to the fans.
Unless.......they are going to bring in a new Coach who will galvanize what we already have?
Ever hopeful.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

They see it alright, they just expect you to swallow their own propaganda!
I wonder if Boris Johnson would make a half decent coach? He's good on the bull**** front and knows how to knock kids out the way!! :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

I think we could certainly do with another centre. I like Gildart but he's young and Gelling can go off the boil from time to time and hasn't got the best of injury records the last couple of years.

I'll be amazed if Ben Flower goes anywhere, for me him and Clubb are our best front rowers. Mossop out to probably Salford seems to make sense for everyone.

Someone mentioned a goal kicker and this does my nut in. This isn't the NFL, if we can get a player in a position we need who also kicks goals then great. We haven't got the luxury of just buying someone to kick goals.

That said Matty Smith is on thin ice for me. I think the recruitment of Tommy will improve us massivley, we've really struggled at hooker this year, Powell is solid and makes loads of tackles but he's too 1 dimensional and doesn't give defenders any doubt as to what he'll do.

Budgie is a good player as we know, however he'll have to go well to be an improvement on Josh who I think has been brilliant this year.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

sheepsteeth wrote:
We haven't got the luxury of just buying someone to kick goals.
Given the way we play we probably could. Either wing slot would be a candidate. We will have two good wingers in Budgie and Manfredi but as they never get the ball they are a bit of a waste of space! They way they are used you could stick a goal kicking prop on the wing!

I'll never forget Frano Botica saying he decided he'd better kick goals to give him a chance of getting in the team. Now OK he was a good player but at the start when he was on the wing he was played out of position just so he could kick the goals.
catman

Post by catman »

Well this is going to do wonders for the season ticket sales. I wonder how they are going to promote them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

catman wrote:Well this is going to do wonders for the season ticket sales. I wonder how they are going to promote them.
They will rely on the loyalty of the fans but I think next season will be a stretch to ask for the fans to shell out for a bunch of youngsters and nrl/Union failures

They will probably market it on Sam being "ready to return" next season but as much as I'd love to believe it I can't see it

With wane in charge we will not improve end of story
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
markill

Post by markill »

Just to play devil's advocate, if Wane goes but recruitment the same, would that have an impact of season ticket sales?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
markill

Post by markill »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
markill wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, if Wane goes but recruitment the same, would that have an impact of season ticket sales?
My Own opinion on this is yes IF the right coach is appointed and not someone in the chain from the lower ranks.

Say an Australian coach was appointed i think it would be a refreshing approach and a statement of intent to take the club forward and lift it out of what can only be deemed as some sort of aggressive time warp.
Then I'd be asking who is the right coach? So does it have to be an experienced Aussie, or someone who's won something, or would any Aussie do? i.e. a no-name who's been a number 2 down under is enough to make people renew that wouldn't if it was Wane still in place.

On a similar note, say we end this season with LLS & GF win, recruitment stays the same, coach stays the same - do people then renew?

Or, we start next season like a house on fire winning first 3 games by 30 points, do these stay away fans then come back and get a pro-rata season ticket?

Again, I'm just curious to understand what fans motivations are for saying they won't renew, and what would make them change that stance.

Me personally, I'll be renewing unless something dramatic happens in my life that means I can't afford to. Regardless of coach, regardless of recruitment. But that's just me.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod