olympics

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: olympics

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The Olympics concept has been ruined by the introduction of professionalism in sports like individuals in Tennis and team sports like Football and Rugby Union.

And is it fair that the BBC has to have all day coverage on all three of its television channels when many license payers who might not be interested in the Olympics are not getting any real alternative and the main rival ITV is showing nothing else but repeats.

And then there is the question of how much money is now spent on staging the Olympic's in countries like Brazil when there is much bad poverty.

Even the each day highlights of the games are for near three hours.

Now, like everything else in major sport, it is now all about making money for those running it!
Did you even go to Rio?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

What a great night watching the cycling tonight! Who cares whether they get paid or not when the entertainment and drama was top drawer!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

You try to get a debate going on Professionalism in the Olympics and what do you get in return.

Nothing constructive!
Wandering Warrior

Whelley Warrior wrote:You try to get a debate going on Professionalism in the Olympics and what do you get in return.

Nothing constructive!
I stated a fact that it was great entertainment last night, how constructive do you want me to be? Furthermore about half a dozen lads at work echoed my comment last night.
I'd love to be a butterfly between your ears, the world has changed and you obviously still want to live in the 60's!
Get real!!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Maybe some people would like to go back to the Gladiators in the coliseum with swords and spears. And whilst we are at it, bring in the lions. Were they professionals these guys ? All I know is they paid the ultimate price !

We've been on about entertainment on another thread (re us!) so these Olympians are doing just that and thrilling the crowds in Rio, whether it's on the cycling track, in the ring, on the water, or if it's the golf or tennis.

It's entertainment and people want to see the best so I don't know why some can't just enjoy all these events ? And just look at the reactions of these "professionals" during the medal ceremonies, pride and emotions which you don't necessarily see in their every day events.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote:Maybe some people would like to go back to the Gladiators in the coliseum with swords and spears. And whilst we are at it, bring in the lions. Were they professionals these guys ? All I know is they paid the ultimate price !

We've been on about entertainment on another thread (re us!) so these Olympians are doing just that and thrilling the crowds in Rio, whether it's on the cycling track, in the ring, on the water, or if it's the golf or tennis.

It's entertainment and people want to see the best so I don't know why some can't just enjoy all these events ? And just look at the reactions of these "professionals" during the medal ceremonies, pride and emotions which you don't necessarily see in their every day events.
???????? ????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Nezza Faz wrote:Maybe some people would like to go back to the Gladiators in the coliseum with swords and spears. And whilst we are at it, bring in the lions. Were they professionals these guys ? All I know is they paid the ultimate price !

So, if professionalism in the Olmypics is alright, why no professional boxing?

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:You try to get a debate going on Professionalism in the Olympics and what do you get in return.

Nothing constructive!
I stated a fact that it was great entertainment last night, how constructive do you want me to be? Furthermore about half a dozen lads at work echoed my comment last night.
I'd love to be a butterfly between your ears, the world has changed and you obviously still want to live in the 60's!
Get real!!
I sure would like many older people like to go back to the sixties.

We may not have the lifestyle of today, but far better and more enjoyable times, than the rat race of today!

The pubs, clubs and dance halls were packed with people of all ages enjoying themselves, not sat at home watching Sky TV with a couple of cans or if out, having a fear of being attacked in a bar or when walking home.

Even better music and rock groups than most of the garbage now.

Proper beer and no rubbish lager like Carling.

You and your mates at work would have enjoyed it!

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

So, if professionalism in the Olmypics is alright, why no professional boxing?

Professionals were allowed to box this year

I ask again did you even go to Rio? Bet you didn't so shush
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:

Nothing constructive!
Get real!!
I sure would like many older people like to go back to the sixties.

We may not have the lifestyle of today, but far better and more enjoyable times, than the rat race of today!

The pubs, clubs and dance halls were packed with people of all ages enjoying themselves, not sat at home watching Sky TV with a couple of cans or if out, having a fear of being attacked in a bar or when walking home.

Even better music and rock groups than most of the garbage now.

Proper beer and no rubbish lager like Carling.

You and your mates at work would have enjoyed it!

Perhaps your wish to go back to the 60s is an age thing and thus your problem to move on with the remainder of your life?
As for beer and Music? Been there, done it and got the tshirt.
Seriously doubt you can teach me out there!
I'll take it you are applying your assumption head again?