Bateman should be our marquee player!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SJ

Re: Bateman should be our marquee player!

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:You were obvious where when it happened :roll:

Bateman should be our next captain!
Yes he should to both questions. We've not had one for some time.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wasn't there otherwise it could have been me in hospital I suppose...
He missed a chunk of the season because of his own actions. We didn't miss him if results before and after are looked at.
That said, I think he is world class and if the thread was headed "Bateman is world class and we should sign him up for life" I would agree with that entirely. Marquee suggests he is clearly better than everyone else and I don't see that. Nor does the evidence back it up.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I wasn't there otherwise it could have been me in hospital I suppose...
He missed a chunk of the season because of his own actions. We didn't miss him if results before and after are looked at.
That said, I think he is world class and if the thread was headed "Bateman is world class and we should sign him up for life" I would agree with that entirely. Marquee suggests he is clearly better than everyone else and I don't see that. Nor does the evidence back it up.
Without Bateman we do not make the GF. I say again how do you know he was to blame? You are assuming it was one way. Important you understand that several Wigan players have been involved in similar or worts but you did not know about them in the last 5 or 10 seasons. Wigan are not awful; it happens at EVERY CLUB, EVERY SPORT.

He should be our future captain. He is our marquee player in all but name.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Well he was the one who was banned for 8 crucial weeks. So I will infer from that that he was at fault. Which I am sure you will agree is an easier point to argue than that he was blameless.
Moreover, having happily re watched the game I can see that he was one of our top performers. Interestingly he played no part in 4 of the tries.
Great player, wonderful to watch, arguably our best player. But we have plenty of other wonderful players.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No he shouldn't, it should a top Aussie player that arses on seats, the end
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Well he was the one who was banned for 8 crucial weeks. So I will infer from that that he was at fault. Which I am sure you will agree is an easier point to argue than that he was blameless.
Moreover, having happily re watched the game I can see that he was one of our top performers. Interestingly he played no part in 4 of the tries.
Great player, wonderful to watch, arguably our best player. But we have plenty of other wonderful players.
Yet the club want shut of Mossop :conf: Natbe they do not want to dent his rsale value.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote:No he shouldn't, it should a top Aussie player that arses on seats, the end
Agreed,the whole point of a Marquee player,in my eyes is to bring something special extra to the club and as you say put bums on seats.
SJ

Post by SJ »

fozzieskem wrote:
medlocke wrote:No he shouldn't, it should a top Aussie player that arses on seats, the end
Agreed,the whole point of a Marquee player,in my eyes is to bring something special extra to the club and as you say put bums on seats.
Good point
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Bateman is a freak of nature, and I mean that in a good way.

Plays WAY above his weight, and plays for 80 mins.

A special talent that cannot be coached/learned.

If he could put a couple of stones on he would be terrifying, but then maybe that would impact his game?

Still a very very good player who is our best atm.

In fact the ONLY two players with the X factor in the current side are him and George imo.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Looking forward to 2-3 years from now when he leaves and some moan we should have made him marquee. Especially when no class NRL player will come here in his prime.