GF motivation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: GF motivation

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote:Well I'm not insulted one bit.
If anyone goes on social media posts a comment on any subject you leave your self open to a right to reply through any means that person want to.

Amazes me how thin skin so many can be once they become the subject of a reply.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I thought the Grand Final win was doable after the U19's Grand Final. We had no right to be anywhere that undefeated Saints team with seven first year U17's playing. However they played with pride, grit, determination and only just got beat despite scoring three tries to two. This CLUB has a tough mentality from top to bottom, a never say die attitude to be the best you can no matter how talented you are. I was so proud of the effort on Saturday and that u19's final, proud to say that's MY TEAM.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Me neither
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
If anyone goes on social media posts a comment on any subject you leave your self open to a right to reply through any means that person want to.
From a coach of an RL team on national TV? I don't really think so. This isn't me and you having a debate on here. As Wintergreen said he has inadvertently insulted quite a lot of the supporters in doing so.

Fans have slagged coaches and players off from the year dot and the criticism of the team this season was hardly unjustified but I can't remember a coach making thinly veiled criticism of the supporters. They usually just (have to) put up with it and let the results do the talking.
Amazes me how thin skin so many can be once they become the subject of a reply.
That isn't the issue though how anyone on here can not have a thick skin I have no idea!

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

All he said was 'the majority of fans have stuck by us!' Is it that big of a deal/is he wrong? No on both accounts, I wrote us off and so glad they proved me wrong. Stop making mountains out of molehills, some people love to moan!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wintergreen wrote:
DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:The journalist is saying that Wane may have used fans' criticisms as motivation, possibly a first in the social media age. I don't see a suggestion that Wane was whinging.
He was certainly having a pop in his interview with that majority comment. Whether you class that as winging I don't know but the comments clearly irked him enough for it to be at top of his mind just after winning the GF.

As to using fans comments as motivation, it depends on how he did it as to it being sensible. If he said something along the lines of "Look lads the fans have had enough of this rubbish and they are right, lets buck up" OK but if (as I suspect) it was a "What do they know..." type of comment he is basically having a go at a large section of the supporters. If so at best he should just have kept that to himself. He doesn't get the luxury of the paying spectator to whinge in public however justified he might feel!
I think that's right.

I can understand the emotional relief and his need to release it, but he has inadvertently insulted quite a lot of the supporters in doing so.

I fully suspect the motivation was along the lines of:

"Lot's of our supporters think we are bloody awful, let's show them how little they know"

rather than

"Come on guys, we are better than this, let's prove to our fans how we can play"

Now personally I couldn't care less which one he used, a Wigan victory is worth far more to me than a coaches opinion of the me, and as long as it works, all's good- but that's a seperate issue.

Fundamentally we still have problems. Motivation, determination and a willingness to play for the coach are not them.

Maybe he and the squad were aware without any reminders from the fans of how badly we were playing and all those little things that just weren't going right, finally clicked.

Personally, even had we lost the GF, I think Wane is the best British coach we could have. To actually win was imo remarkable.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:It clearly cut Wane up because why else would he mention it on GF day and days after. Truth be told I think he was under pressure from within after Widnes and the feedback from the fans survey. He certainly needs to stop whining and concentrate on the win because that is what matters. Man up Wane!
I don't think saying 'majority' of fans stuck with us is whining or he needs to man up really? Is it?
Somebody has just had a success and all he can do is whine and have a dig about fans who pay his wages. What an idiot! Did Monie ever act so stupidly? Lowe? Madge?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:It clearly cut Wane up because why else would he mention it on GF day and days after. Truth be told I think he was under pressure from within after Widnes and the feedback from the fans survey. He certainly needs to stop whining and concentrate on the win because that is what matters. Man up Wane!
I don't think saying 'majority' of fans stuck with us is whining or he needs to man up really? Is it?
Somebody has just had a success and all he an do is whine and have a dig about fans who pay his wages. What an idiot! Did Monie ever act so stupidly? Lowe? Madge?
Whine and winge, he must have took lessons from someone!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

From a coach of an RL team on national TV? I don't really think so. This isn't me and you having a debate on here. As Wintergreen said he has inadvertently insulted quite a lot of the supporters in doing so.

Fans have slagged coaches and players off from the year dot and the criticism of the team this season was hardly unjustified but I can't remember a coach making thinly veiled criticism of the supporters. They usually just (have to) put up with it and let the results do the talking.

Criticism was justified. Winning the GF can not hide how bad we were.

At least his was not as embarrassing as Delia's. Now that was insulting.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No straw damn us wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: I don't think saying 'majority' of fans stuck with us is whining or he needs to man up really? Is it?
Somebody has just had a success and all he an do is whine and have a dig about fans who pay his wages. What an idiot! Did Monie ever act so stupidly? Lowe? Madge?[/quote

Whine and winge, he must have took lessons from someone!!
No some of us are objective. Rogues you never have been. Even when Bilko was unfairly maligned you were gutless. To have reached what 60+ and not speak your mind defending a so called friend says it all.