Charnley to return in a season

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: Charnley to return in a season

Post by fozzieskem »

Trouble as I see it though is this,Dom is out for who knows how long and it will take him time to get his mojo back,Budgie still a work in progress a very good one i'll grant you,i hope his time out in Aus hasnt dented him (ill say it again we have yet to have resigned a player who wwas as good as when they left on thier return),Lewis is a utlity player with a lot of speed.

So if we're going on last seasons results,in a dream world of course

Charnley,
Manfredi,
Tierney,
Burgess,

I base my list purely on what i saw last season.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

fozzieskem wrote:Trouble as I see it though is this,Dom is out for who knows how long and it will take him time to get his mojo back,Budgie still a work in progress a very good one i'll grant you,i hope his time out in Aus hasnt dented him (ill say it again we have yet to have resigned a player who wwas as good as when they left on thier return),Lewis is a utlity player with a lot of speed.

Charnley,
Manfredi,
Tierney,
Burgess,

How would Josh have coped in the NRL Fozzie, I couldn't see him doing any better than Budgie considering the competition for wing positions at the Roosters. Budgie's form for south sydney was good and he was getting good reviews from the NRL media, there was even rumour of Madge wanting to keep him.
I agree with Manfredi regarding his injury, and there's still the question as to the level and speed of his recovery, and that's the only caveat I have about Josh being missed, and I did mention this in my initial post.
Based on all mentioned players on their best form, which I do see Burgess returning To, I still say that Charnley won't be a massive miss as I strongly think that Budgie and Manfredi are better wingers than Charnley, all players at the top of their form of course. You say Charnley, I say Budgie and Manfredi, guess it's time to agree to disagree.
:lol:
Panchitta Marra

Panchitta Marra wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Trouble as I see it though is this,Dom is out for who knows how long and it will take him time to get his mojo back,Budgie still a work in progress a very good one i'll grant you,i hope his time out in Aus hasnt dented him (ill say it again we have yet to have resigned a player who wwas as good as when they left on thier return),Lewis is a utlity player with a lot of speed.

Charnley,
Manfredi,
Tierney,
Burgess,

How would Josh have coped in the NRL Fozzie, I couldn't see him doing any better than Budgie considering the competition for wing positions at the Roosters. Budgie's form for south sydney was good and he was getting good reviews from the NRL media, there was even rumour of Madge wanting to keep him.
I agree with Manfredi regarding his injury, and there's still the question as to the level and speed of his recovery, and that's the only caveat I have about Josh being missed, and I did mention this in my initial post.
Based on all mentioned players on their best form, which I do see Burgess returning To, I still say that Charnley won't be a massive miss as I strongly think that Budgie and Manfredi are better wingers than Charnley, all players at the top of their form of course. You say Charnley, I say Budgie and Manfredi, guess it's time to agree to disagree.
https://youtu.be/zDOlQv5hQiQ
Panchitta Marra

Panchitta Marra wrote:

Charnley,
Manfredi,
Tierney,
Burgess,

https://youtu.be/zDOlQv5hQiQ

Maybe not as bad as you think based on 2016 form, is Charnley massively better than this, so much so will he be a massive miss, I think not, unless dom Manfredi doesn't return to fitness.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I based my rankings purely on what I saw last season,I was lucky enough or should that be unlucky to see poor Joe's trials at the roosters if ever a player chose the wrong move it was him sadly,quite what the roosters thought they were getting is beyond me as he is still a work in progress and not the finished article a couple of more years at Wigan and I genuinely believe he would have set the NRL alight,he's a player I do think a lot of,but he had a shocker last season and I feel if he's anything like the player the one who left it'll be down to his time with the bunnies and with a coach who knew what he'd got in him,even so his form was erratic with them,part brilliance,part bungling a typical confidence or lack performance.

Who knows wether Manfredi will hit the same form as the last couple of seasons,I hope so in my opinion he's the best winger Wigan have bar none.

Lastly I return to Charnley I felt overall he was easily the best winger over the long season,bar his "laying of hands"on Hicks and for me given how poor he was in 2015 that showed the mark of a great player,one I feel will be majorly missed this season.

Would he make it in the NRL? No in my opinion

Will he make it in UNion? Yes I think he will.

All about opinions matey as you say I certainly respect yours Panchitta
:D
Panchitta Marra

fozzieskem wrote:I based my rankings purely on what I saw last season,I was lucky enough or should that be unlucky to see poor Joe's trials at the roosters if ever a player chose the wrong move it was him sadly,quite what the roosters thought they were getting is beyond me as he is still a work in progress and not the finished article a couple of more years at Wigan and I genuinely believe he would have set the NRL alight,he's a player I do think a lot of,but he had a shocker last season and I feel if he's anything like the player the one who left it'll be down to his time with the bunnies and with a coach who knew what he'd got in him,even so his form was erratic with them,part brilliance,part bungling a typical confidence or lack performance.

Who knows wether Manfredi will hit the same form as the last couple of seasons,I hope so in my opinion he's the best winger Wigan have bar none.

Lastly I return to Charnley I felt overall he was easily the best winger over the long season,bar his "laying of hands"on Hicks and for me given how poor he was in 2015 that showed the mark of a great player,one I feel will be majorly missed this season.

Would he make it in the NRL? No in my opinion

Will he make it in UNion? Yes I think he will.

All about opinions matey as you say I certainly respect yours Panchitta
:D
Nice to have a solid constructive discussion Fozzie with good strong opinions from both sides, I respect totally what you say, you make very valid points with what you say ???? :D
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

If I had to pick from those four wingers it would be Charnley and Burgess.
The jury is out on the other two, basically because who knows when and how Fredi will recover, simple as that.
As I said Charnley will be a massive loss this season.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Panchitta Marra

Wandering Warrior wrote:If I had to pick from those four wingers it would be Charnley and Burgess.
The jury is out on the other two, basically because who knows when and how Fredi will recover, simple as that.
As I said Charnley will be a massive loss this season.
As a matter solely of interest and it can only be hypothetical, if Fredi does recover to full fitness and say Charnley was still at Wigan, both at full fitness, who would you have picked between them for the right wing berth, being that the right wing is where both appear to have played for the majority of their career?

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

As you say it's hypothetical. My point is that he will be missed this season and that will be from February.
Whatever selection would be the best we will never know, but for the record I thought Charnley had a great season last year.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wandering Warrior wrote:As you say it's hypothetical. My point is that he will be missed this season and that will be from February.
Whatever selection would be the best we will never know, but for the record I thought Charnley had a great season last year.
Me too ????????⚪????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan