Squad for Cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Squad for Cas

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Caboosegg wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:When has mcillorum done 80 minutes on a consistent basis? Any time in the last year in which he played for us? In any case, unless he actually does play 80 minutes (on the field rather than in people's imaginations) his capacity to do so or otherwise is irrelevant. The fact is we lose prop cover by virtue of his playing which we don't with Powell:

Mickey Mac can do 80 minutes and it is all Wane who stops him :D

Wane Chooses to play the 2 hookers and spell each other.
Mickey Mac was interviewed on wigan tv and said He wants to do 80 minutes each match but wane doesnt let him.

Enough said!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

In the last 5 games of 2016, we hit upon a winning formula whereby we were able to roll the props on and off constantly.
People complained about the relative ineffectiveness of our props against Saints. In part that flows from having to spell McIllorum. I accept that he needs to be spelled while getting fit, and hope that he soon does manage to get fit. Whether it is Wane's choice or not, it is unarguable logic that as he needs to be spelled we have to sacrifice our prop freshness. Which in my opinion makes us weaker.

I know he is hugely popular and would love to see him able to play 80 minutes: if he can't do that effectively, though, I would go with Powell.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:
AdamMac wrote:Short memories lads.

Mcilorum can and has walked doing 80 mins. He did it all season when we got LL but lost in the semi's.

he's just come back from 14 months out - You didn't expect him to do 80 straight away did you?

:o
as i recall it was only in 3 or 4 games, Powell did all last season
Selective memory, shame your crystal ball can't look into the past as well as the future!!
stop being an arse, it doesn't suit you, those are the only games i can remember, if he's played more then fair enough, but i can't remember them
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
TrueBlueWarrior

Exiled Wiganer wrote:In the last 5 games of 2016, we hit upon a winning formula whereby we were able to roll the props on and off constantly.
People complained about the relative ineffectiveness of our props against Saints. In part that flows from having to spell McIllorum. I accept that he needs to be spelled while getting fit, and hope that he soon does manage to get fit. Whether it is Wane's choice or not, it is unarguable logic that as he needs to be spelled we have to sacrifice our prop freshness. Which in my opinion makes us weaker.

I know he is hugely popular and would love to see him able to play 80 minutes: if he can't do that effectively, though, I would go with Powell.
Still missing the point, he can play 80 minutes no problem when game fit, which after a 14 month layoff will take a few more weeks!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Wormburner wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:as i recall it was only in 3 or 4 games, Powell did all last season
Selective memory, shame your crystal ball can't look into the past as well as the future!!
stop being an arse, it doesn't suit you, those are the only games i can remember, if he's played more then fair enough, but i can't remember them
Come on meds, it's all banter, we are both thicker skinned than that, no grudges here!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am labouring a point but not missing it. Currently it is common ground that he can't play 80 minutes and so we will be weaker. There may come a point at which he can in which case either he does (which has been far from the norm in the past) in which case we stick to the formula which has won us 2 comps in his absence. Or he doesn't in which case we are weaker. And as for his wanting to but Wane not letting him, that suggests to me that Wane doesn't believe he can be effective for 80 minutes. Time will tell.
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

Haven't seen much of the young lads this season like I usually tend to do so don't know Gansons game or how well he is playing.

I do know however Luke Waterworth seems to be killing it at Swinton and I know he went well for the young lads last year.

Was he not to be a good shout to come in?

For me it simple , move Sam P to HB as he played all his life up until 2 years ago. Micky Mc and young hooker are then interchangeable.

Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Selective memory, shame your crystal ball can't look into the past as well as the future!!
Come on meds, it's all banter, we are both thicker skinned than that, no grudges here!!
no probs :D
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
TrueBlueWarrior

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I am labouring a point but not missing it. Currently it is common ground that he can't play 80 minutes and so we will be weaker. There may come a point at which he can in which case either he does (which has been far from the norm in the past) in which case we stick to the formula which has won us 2 comps in his absence. Or he doesn't in which case we are weaker. And as for his wanting to but Wane not letting him, that suggests to me that Wane doesn't believe he can be effective for 80 minutes. Time will tell.
What have we won in his presence, arguably against tougher opponents and a tougher competition?

He currently can't play 80 because he has been injured for 14 months, when he is fit he can play 80 minutes easily, it's that simple really!

Wane never played him 80 because he tried to protect him from injury because at the time we only had him good enough to play Hooker, but when it really mattered he played 80, again really easily!!

We will never be a 'weaker' team with MM involved!!
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Brad5926 wrote:Haven't seen much of the young lads this season like I usually tend to do so don't know Gansons game or how well he is playing.

I do know however Luke Waterworth seems to be killing it at Swinton and I know he went well for the young lads last year.

Was he not to be a good shout to come in?

For me it simple , move Sam P to HB as he played all his life up until 2 years ago. Micky Mc and young hooker are then interchangeable.

I agree with this, but we have to be careful as we have a tendency to lose the intensity in defence at the play the ball when up against experienced hookers. This happened early doors when Sam Powell took over from Macca but he learnt really quickly to stop that from happening. A hooker with the experience of McShane could have an easy game against someone with limited first team experience like Ganson or Waterworth.

Interesting selection headache for Waney. I personally think he'll play either Lockers or Gregson in the halfs with George and leave Powell at hooker.

Matt