Wane without a whole team!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Wane without a whole team!!

Post by markill »

Widnes have used more players than us this season. Huddersfield possibly have too.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Caboosegg wrote:
jaws1 wrote:Easter games ok why is just Wigan that kops all the injuries?
form for every team dips after easter
Impossible.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Having seen the squad, I would play Woods at 6. We need at least one half back in the half back role. If we play Gregson alongside him, who has played in the halves before for us, then we could put out this team:
Tierney - Marshall - Burgess - Forsyth - Davies - Gregson - Woods

FPN - Powell - Tautai - Sutton - Farrell - Isa

Navarette - Bretherton - Tomkins - Ganson

Sutton being fit really helps us. We won't be able to beat a good Salford side on Friday, but ought to be able to keep it more respectable than against Cas.

Add McIllorum and Lockers for Swinton, and that should be enough. Then hope and pray for some of Escare, Sam Tomkins and Williams to be fit for Wire and Saints and we could be competitive in those games.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Having seen the squad, I would play Woods at 6. We need at least one half back in the half back role. If we play Gregson alongside him, who has played in the halves before for us, then we could put out this team:

Sutton being fit really helps us. We won't be able to beat a good Salford side on Friday, but ought to be able to keep it more respectable than against Cas.

Add McIllorum and Lockers for Swinton, and that should be enough. Then hope and pray for some of Escare, Sam Tomkins and Williams to be fit for Wire and Saints and we could be competitive in those games.

Not a bad call given the circumstances, but I'd start with Powell in the halves and Ganson at 9. Difficult to have two inexperienced halves in Gregson and Woods to start because they'd be targeted to begin with. At least in Ganson he's a recognised hooker and Powell can revert there later on to spell Ganson, and then bring in Woods/Gregson when the opening exchanges have passed to calmer waters (hopefully).

Again, not expecting a win but should be interesting and hoping the young kids can put in a performance.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

markill wrote:Widnes have used more players than us this season. Huddersfield possibly have too.
True but Huddersfield rested a few for the Swinton game and came unstuck.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Nezza Faz wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:Having seen the squad, I would play Woods at 6. We need at least one half back in the half back role. If we play Gregson alongside him, who has played in the halves before for us, then we could put out this team:

Not a bad call given the circumstances, but I'd start with Powell in the halves and Ganson at 9. Difficult to have two inexperienced halves in Gregson and Woods to start because they'd be targeted to begin with. At least in Ganson he's a recognised hooker and Powell can revert there later on to spell Ganson, and then bring in Woods/Gregson when the opening exchanges have passed to calmer waters (hopefully).

Again, not expecting a win but should be interesting and hoping the young kids can put in a performance.
I'm with you Nezza. If the service is poor from the dummy half then the attach will falter so Powell and Ganson have to share the hooking duties. By the way, Salford are also busted so this game is in the balance.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Nezza Faz wrote:

Who would you leave out if Morgan was fit to play?
markill

Post by markill »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
markill wrote:Widnes have used more players than us this season. Huddersfield possibly have too.
True but Huddersfield rested a few for the Swinton game and came unstuck.
I was on about Super League only
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Nezza Faz wrote:

SEFC, if Morgan Escare had just made the squad, then that's a difficult call as to who to omit. But in an effort to keep a sound mix of backs and forwards as strong as possible then I'd go with the following.

If it was down to me then probably sacrifice Navarette on the basis that if Morgan broke down with his knee injury then we'd still have something of a half back partnership with Powell and/or Woods/Gregson with Powell spelling Ganson at 9. This still leaves Joel and Bretherton available to play front row, in Navarette's absence.

What do you think ?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Nezza Faz wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:

SEFC, if Morgan Escare had just made the squad, then that's a difficult call as to who to omit. But in an effort to keep a sound mix of backs and forwards as strong as possible then I'd go with the following.

If it was down to me then probably sacrifice Navarette on the basis that if Morgan broke down with his knee injury then we'd still have something of a half back partnership with Powell and/or Woods/Gregson with Powell spelling Ganson at 9. This still leaves Joel and Bretherton available to play front row, in Navarette's absence.

What do you think ?
I would hope that he wouldn't play unless he was 100% ish, we don't want anymore long term injuries. I think that I would like to see him start at full back given that he has been excellent in that position and I am not one for putting round pegs in square holes. Having said that it might come to needs must. So Lewis would miss out for me with either Brethy or Nav.