What is the truth

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: What is the truth

Post by moto748 »

jao 711 wrote:If we get daily updates on the injuries will they heal quicker.Seems to me that missing games because you haven't got the up to date information is ,well let's say there's a hint of arrogance there

Well, quite! "I've stopped going to away matches cos I don't like the way the club give out information about injured players..."? Really??

A sad loss to the club, indeed. :lol:
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

moto748 wrote:
jao 711 wrote:If we get daily updates on the injuries will they heal quicker.Seems to me that missing games because you haven't got the up to date information is ,well let's say there's a hint of arrogance there

Well, quite! "I've stopped going to away matches cos I don't like the way the club give out information about injured players..."? Really??

A sad loss to the club, indeed. :lol:
Did I say it was only about information concerning injured players?

No so cut the attitude, want to argue then keep it to private messages. No one wants to see a keyboard warrior making a fool of themselves. CP days are over

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I share your distaste for keyboard warriors.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

No names no pack drill,but if the cap fits.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Clearly there's a balance to be had between airing differences of opinion (which makes life interesting. Imagine a thread for happy clappers and a separate one just for moaners!), and being offensive/personal.

A quick read through this thread and I was starting to think "Here we go again", repeating other recent threads about injuries and coming up with unsupported theories. This, of course is just my reaction and I choose not to engage in the discussion, but accept others have the right.

Along comes TBW and says "give us some evidence" which he also has a right to do. He is always polite and respectful whilst stating his views forcefully, as is his right.

I don't see anyone name-calling, being offensive or abusing others. And there's no rule about being mard or inconsistent (not meaning TBW).

So what is the problem? All seems a bit drama-queen to me. Then again, that's just my opinion...
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:It could be coincidence, bad luck or both but you surely must at least implement a review of the training methods at the club?
The training methods that won us a GF and WCC?
Yes.

In spite of or on account of?

If the training methods are found NOT to be to blame then fair enough - we are the most unlucky club in SL......
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My view on this is simple

I think across the board there is an injury crisis and i think there is a simply reason why and it also explains our situation.

We are simply making players too athletic in general, I've said before we are creating F1 cars and expecting them to go rallying. Our game has always had an element of being about running into each other, the evading was done more by the backs.

Now all the players are around the same size and are basically pure muscle, not only that they are faster than ever before. So instead of going into impact at a canter there is now a lot faster closing speed and less fat for protection of the muscle.

I think this is why Wigan suffer more, none of our players carry extra weight that you see in some teams, look at ferris! or fafifta.

I don't think its anymore complex than that i think the game is going to need to adjust for the safety of players. One idea would be to bring the line distance back to 5 yards from 10, this would reduce collision speed and also promote more skillful play
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think that's a valid view. I don't know whether it is the answer but it should be carefully looked into.
I have explained my concerns as to the consequences for our team's prospects this season and in the future, but there are some very important questions that the club needs to consider:
- are we more susceptible because of our choice of players? For instance, do we consider how injury prone a player will be? Bateman has had injury problems from an early age and shows no signs of recovery;
- do we now have a lot of players who have suffered long term injuries who are more likely to suffer recurrences or other injuries?
- do we have enough naturally big players, rather than bulked up smaller ones like Flower and Clubb? While Wane himself went from 13 to 8, are players like this as effective as naturally larger players like Scott Taylor?
- do we in fact, as I guess, suffer more limb injuries than other clubs?
- do we train in a way that makes us more injury prone?
- once players are injured do they get the right support to ensure they recover as quickly as they can. Mourinho comments all the time about different players' toughness and attitude to recovery - is Sam T a Luke Shaw or a Roy Keane where it comes to resilience. Either it is incompetence or bad attitude that leads to much longer recovery periods;
Beyond some suggestion that they looked into it last year and concluded it was bad luck, I have read and heard nothing to suggest that the club are particularly concerned. I have noted above my disgust at the public line of "we are strong - we don't need more players - it is just luck".
Time will tell but we are not going to see any cavalry any time soon and can expect to get as little from the cavalry as Mcillorum has managed (i.e. nothing) for the month after they do come over the hills...
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I have kept away from this thread but a couple of points that have been raised that i think bare some scrutiny.

The wigan,and indeed modern game is full of muscle bound players with more fat on a butchers pencil on them,the chap who sat next to me often used to raise this point and i think its a very valid one,no padding on the modern player the speed they crash into each other must hurt,as he used to say back in the old days if a prop ran 20 yeards he'd need to go off and have a satsuma and a drink,now they're built like wingers..

it is going to take Tomkins,Micky Mac,Dom Manfredi and the others out for a good while a hell of a lot time to get anywhere near full match fitness,i've watched enough of the game over the years to work out theres a big difference between fitness and full match fitness,i doubt we will see anything like what they're capable of this season,they may show sparks but consistancy will be next season not this.

No one knows for certain why this keeps happening to Wigan,indeed i'd say it's a game wide issue rather than a wigan one,plenty of clubs have injuries though perhaps not on a scale that Wigan do at the moment.

The only thing i would say is to the "buisness end of the season"type of poster,i would argue that the buisness end is here and now given the scale of the crisis thats enveloped the club,i dont think that is an over the top statement to be honest as i fear the top 4 is looking ever more unlikely for the club at present.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

The increased muscularity and fitness of players is an interesting point.

The reality is that the reason players have gone that way is that in doing so they gain an advantage over the fatter/less fit players. It then becomes an arms race.

This will always be the case. Muscularity and fitness will naturally be superior to obesity/small frames and a lack of fitness.

However, do the rules of the game need to be changed to reduce the advantage? Have players become too strong to survive a season of RL?

You could change the rules of the game to give less advantage to bulked up players e.g. make the game faster

Of course the natural end to this would be tick and pass.......