WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE IN AUSTRALIA

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
endoman

Re: WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE...

Post by endoman »

Simply can't understand the Hull thing at all. Huge kick in the teeth for the speccies of both clubs.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

It's a curtain raiser for a NRL game!
A bit like Turquoise Toenail preceding The Allman Brothers Band at a gig.:lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wandering Warrior wrote:It's a curtain raiser for a NRL game!
WW, the NRL season in the past has only begun in March, so I can't see how it's marked as a curtain raiser ?

And with over 40,000 due to attend the double-header, how could they logistically arrange for two sets of other NRL fans to attend and get good seats ?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wasnt London the "next big thing" a couple of years ago..that worked out well didnt it.

I just fail to see what the aussies get out of this really and why wigan and hull
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Nezza Faz wrote:
WW, the NRL season in the past has only begun in March, so I can't see how it's marked as a curtain raiser ?

And with over 40,000 due to attend the double-header, how could they logistically arrange for two sets of other NRL fans to attend and get good seats ?
It was tongue in cheek, I'm taking the mick!:wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:

It was tongue in cheek, I'm taking the mick!:wink:

:conf: didn't see that one :lol:

In a similar vein, the NRL are actually negotiating to open their 2018 season with a match in America ! I suppose it's the globalisation effect, in not just life in general, but sport in particular - two (?) ru premiership teams are also taking a league match to the USA.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

One day those running the game and the clubs will realise games like this do absolutely nothing to further the cause of RL. I am of course assuming they are doing it because they believe it will and not just because they fancy a trip to Oz!

If it gets a 30 second slot on the sports news outside of the north of England I'd be surprised.

If they want publicity they need to realise it's the players who can give them that, not taking games to far flung places. Give the players a chance to earn money off their image rights so it doesn't impact on the salary cap and then they can become "the face of Gillette" or whatever as Paul Sculthorpe was when he was GB captain years ago. I doubt anyone outside the North knows who the England RL captan is these days.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote:One day those running the game and the clubs will realise games like this do absolutely nothing to further the cause of RL. I am of course assuming they are doing it because they believe it will and not just because they fancy a trip to Oz!

If it gets a 30 second slot on the sports news outside of the north of England I'd be surprised.

If they want publicity they need to realise it's the players who can give them that, not taking games to far flung places. Give the players a chance to earn money off their image rights so it doesn't impact on the salary cap and then they can become "the face of Gillette" or whatever as Paul Sculthorpe was when he was GB captain years ago. I doubt anyone outside the North knows who the England RL captan is these days.

Then hopefully, Dave, the World Cup in Oz will help fix that ?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've just come from reading comments from Wigan fans on fb, and it's wall-to-wall moan, moan, moan, not worth buying a season ticket, a kick in the teeth for fans, etc etc.

Jeez, it's one game! If your decision to buy a season ticket hinges on that...

I do, however, think that if it's one less home game, that should be reflected in the price of season tickets.