Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Gelling

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No straw damn us wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:A lot of people (myself included at times) still think of him as a project player but the truth is he is 26 and has been with us for 5 years.

During that 5 years he has shown improvements in areas but he is still an absolute liability. He also shot the line on one of salfords plays which had it not been for a dropped ball would of resulted in us being scored against.

Shaun Wane has shown he doesnt give a shiny one about us having a decent centre, or a goal kicker - two things we are desperately in need of
You really have no idea do you? Last year Wigan tried and came very close to signing Jarrod Croker the Canberra goal kicking centre. As for Gelling yesterday he was good, I'm not really sure he could have got out of the way of the ball that was thrown directly at him. 163 metres yesterday, saving his forwards a lot of work. His pass out of the tackle for Tom Davies first disallowed try was superb. Junior Sau was supposed to be one of Salfords strike players but Gelling outplayed him easily. As for Percival, Moon and Watkins how much do you think they're earning compared to Gelling?
I have no idea because we came "close" to signing a player?, that we didnt sign did we, so the two problems i mentioned werent addressed were they?.

I might use that excuse next time my boss asks me for the work thats due just go "you have no idea mate i was so close to finishing that report last week"

:conf:

Gelling played ok, but youve missed were he bolted the line completely leaving his winger alone and got lucky as Salford fumbled the play, and if you watch the replay you can see him lean forward to head the ball, hence why he didnt make too much of a fuss because he knew what he'd done. The sin bin was very harsh but its in Gellings DNA to do things like that.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Gelling is a fine athlete but has no rugby brain.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

No straw damn us wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:A lot of people (myself included at times) still think of him as a project player but the truth is he is 26 and has been with us for 5 years.

During that 5 years he has shown improvements in areas but he is still an absolute liability. He also shot the line on one of salfords plays which had it not been for a dropped ball would of resulted in us being scored against.

Shaun Wane has shown he doesnt give a shiny one about us having a decent centre, or a goal kicker - two things we are desperately in need of
You really have no idea do you? Last year Wigan tried and came very close to signing Jarrod Croker the Canberra goal kicking centre. As for Gelling yesterday he was good, I'm not really sure he could have got out of the way of the ball that was thrown directly at him. 163 metres yesterday, saving his forwards a lot of work. His pass out of the tackle for Tom Davies first disallowed try was superb. Junior Sau was supposed to be one of Salfords strike players but Gelling outplayed him easily. As for Percival, Moon and Watkins how much do you think they're earning compared to Gelling?
So there's the answer, cheap as chips and you get what you pay for!
We signed Wally Lewis once but he got injured before he could come over.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I wonder how many of our fans would call gelling average if he didnt play for us?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Don't know about that but as a coach I'd be attacking down our right side all day long.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote:I wonder how many of our fans would call gelling average if he didnt play for us?
Ive not seen anyone call him average

in fact thats the problem in some respects he is anti average, he is completely brilliant one second and terrible the next.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

No straw damn us wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote: Last year Wigan tried and came very close to signing Jarrod Croker the Canberra goal kicking centre.
I realise you have inside knowledge, no straw, but on the face of it, I find this hard to believe. Croker is arguably the best goal-kicker in the world, Canberra record point-scorer, and still a young man, with every prospect of Origin and international rep honours to come. There is not a side in the NRL that wouldn't like his signature. Why, then, would he want to come to the SL?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I like Gelling, he can put his wingman into space despite the closest attention from opposition players.
If you want to watch an International centre who comes out of the line and can't defend for toffee then watch Kallum Watkins. Ball in hand brilliant, defense wise hopeless.
Gelling is a big man who with Davis can take us 40/50 mtrs in two plays.
If not Gelling then which right centre in SL would we have?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

But you can't say that about Kallum Watkins! He's the best centre in the country and first name on the team-sheet, as any fule kno... :lol:
Warrior Gilfedder

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

Wiganer Ted wrote:I like Gelling, he can put his wingman into space despite the closest attention from opposition players.
If you want to watch an International centre who comes out of the line and can't defend for toffee then watch Kallum Watkins. Ball in hand brilliant, defense wise hopeless.
Gelling is a big man who with Davis can take us 40/50 mtrs in two plays.
If not Gelling then which right centre in SL would we have?
He's actually the 5th according to an article i read recently