The move to Robin Park

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: The move to Robin Park

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Warrior Gilfedder wrote:Not for long

I know all local councils are strapped for cash (to put it mildly) but I can't see Wigan council agreeing to a deal that will allow Wigan RL to kick out other users even if it does save the council £241K a year.

Any lease or outright purchase would surely be subject to legally binding covenants about its future use.
You obviously don't know Wigan council from first hand experience :lol:

Set to go to one bin collection per three weeks in the name of "recycling". Strange as it will save the council more on bin collection than any increase (or not) for recycling that might occur inbetween the influx of maggots/vermin/flies that will infest the town- and I am not talking about opposition supporters either :wink:
Like I said, all councils are strapped for cash due to massive cuts. The first round of cuts Cheshire West and Chester had where I am was £32m. Something's got to give. Usually care for the disabled if my experience is anything to go by, never mind bin collections.

Anyway, back on topic, is IL going to be daft enough to kick other users out of Robin Park and alienate a potential supporter base? If Wigan RL take over Robin Park and invest in it, including for existing users, surely that is a PR win for him and club?
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

DaveO wrote:
Warrior Gilfedder wrote:Not for long

I know all local councils are strapped for cash (to put it mildly) but I can't see Wigan council agreeing to a deal that will allow Wigan RL to kick out other users even if it does save the council £241K a year.

Any lease or outright purchase would surely be subject to legally binding covenants about its future use.
Maybe provisions are being made for the other users of the stadium, don't we have other training facilities that could be used for other purposes
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
doc

Post by doc »

The council has shut several high schools round the town over the years due to lack of demand. The population of junior school children is now growing so the council needs to make provision for when they need high school places. Unfortunately most of the land from the closed schools has been sold off for housing. The former PEMBEC site where the Central Park facility is based still has all its land and the buildings standing so is the obvious cheap short term solution. Unfortunately for the council the rugby club are sitting tenants having moved most of the office based jobs there from the DW and built some training facilities there. It is also the base for the Warriors Community Foundation. Hence the club has some legal sway over things. Meanwhile despite having to fund setting up a new school the council also has the £200k running costs of the athletics stadium to pay. Both these expenses give the council an incentive to make the deal work.

The sale of the Orrell facility would generate a lot of money for the club as it is a prime site for a housing estate. This could then be invested in facilities at the athletic stadium or in the team.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Lets be fair Orrell is sadly past its sell by date (though if it where a SL ground in yorkshire it'd have decades of use left in it :lol: ) so the move to Robin park does make sense.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

PF Warrior wrote:
Warrior Gilfedder wrote:I take it this will only be for training purposes and the odd moved game, surely it isn't big enough for a full time move
I don't know about that. There is a lot of land connected to Robin Park, which I think could hold a 15,000 to 20,000 seater stadium, that's if IL wanted to shop around for sponsorship to help with the funding of the build.
Dream on.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote:

You obviously don't know Wigan council from first hand experience :lol:

Set to go to one bin collection per three weeks in the name of "recycling". Strange as it will save the council more on bin collection than any increase (or not) for recycling that might occur inbetween the influx of maggots/vermin/flies that will infest the town- and I am not talking about opposition supporters either :wink:
Like I said, all councils are strapped for cash due to massive cuts. The first round of cuts Cheshire West and Chester had where I am was £32m. Something's got to give. Usually care for the disabled if my experience is anything to go by, never mind bin collections.

Anyway, back on topic, is IL going to be daft enough to kick other users out of Robin Park and alienate a potential supporter base? If Wigan RL take over Robin Park and invest in it, including for existing users, surely that is a PR win for him and club?
Who do you think is subsidising councils all over the country.

I'll give you a clue, it begins with L and sounds a bit like Bondon.

In a post Brexit Britain, get used to being poorer.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wintergreen wrote:
DaveO wrote:
butt monkey wrote: You obviously don't know Wigan council from first hand experience :lol:

What evidence do you have that we will be poorer? Genuine question as people keep saying this yet I struggle to comprehend this statement without facts to back it up? So again how do you know that?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wes wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:
DaveO wrote: Like I said, all councils are strapped for cash due to massive cuts. The first round of cuts Cheshire West and Chester had where I am was £32m. Something's got to give. Usually care for the disabled if my experience is anything to go by, never mind bin collections.

What evidence do you have that we will be poorer? Genuine question as people keep saying this yet I struggle to comprehend this statement without facts to back it up? So again how do you know that?
Come over to the off topic forum and I will post an answer.