Marshall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Marshall

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wintergreen wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Marshall has plenty going for him but his size means he will always be a bomb target. He actually reminds me a lot of escare who also suffered from bombs when on the wing for catalan.

He's a good player though, he seems to have struggled more since switching sides but a great prospect
Is he though as a winger?

Maybe the requirements for that position are changing.

Maybe we are seeing a reinvention of the position where height will be as important as pace for a wingman?
Its a fair comment maybe you're right
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

ian b wrote:
pedro wrote:same as Ainscough
nowt like him
good with the ball poor under the high ball due to his size
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

PaulC wrote:The poor lad has one poor game all season after being brought in arguably a season too early and people are ready to slit his throat.

Not many players make their Finals debut in their first season, let alone being called upon 30mins before the game.

Yes he made mistake, but in front of 68000 fans in the only final we are likely to make this year, receiving kicks from one of the best in SL, I think I will forgive him for the 3 mistakes he made - yes they were crucial mistakes and yes the lads not the biggest winger, but he's had just as good first season as budgie.

I know tries aren't the be all and end all but here are a few stats

do you mean bulk up and lose your pace like budgie as

Budgie:
2013: 1 Try
2014: 17 Tries
2015: 23 Tries

Charnley:
2010: 1 Try
2011: 21 Tries
2012: 31 Tries
2013: 34 Tries
2014: 19 Tries
2015: 10 Tries
2016: 19 Tries

Manfredi:
2014: 11 Tries
2015: 20 Tries
2016: 14 then Got fecked

Marshall:
2017: 21 Tries

Now the stats above are for full seasons, obviously with the exception of Marshalls which isn't over yet. Which ever way you cut it, that is a damn fine first season and surpasses any of our other wingers.

Yes the lad needs to grow, bulk up, learn to defend better, but by god give the kid some credit where its due.

Also the kid has had to switch wings, which you don't often see the other do.

Id also argue the the try that Talanoa scored out jumping Marshall, he wouldn't have scored if the men inside him had been in place - Sam was practically jogging across, none of the team last ditch efforts we were seeing last year.
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

His stats at Wembley were decent, I would draft Hampo in to show the lad how to catch a high ball.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:His stats at Wembley were decent, I would draft Hampo in to show the lad how to catch a high ball.
Catching isn't his problem as much as competing is. He needs to find a way to get himself in a better position when facing bigger blokes.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:His stats at Wembley were decent, I would draft Hampo in to show the lad how to catch a high ball.
Catching isn't his problem as much as competing is. He needs to find a way to get himself in a better position when facing bigger blokes.
Hampo could assist with that also.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wintergreen wrote:It's not Marshalls fault, but he is always going to be at a disadvantage in the current meta. Heck even Jason Robinson would struggle in todays game (though his brilliance in other areas would see him picked).

The reality is that thesedays wingers need to be able to diffuse bombs.
Agree but that lick was perfection Sneyd showed us another dynamic under used in RL
A good tactical field kicker is the least energy sapping means of gaining ground as opposed to forwards carrying it and making the so called hard yards. It also brings our three quarters into position to exploit it. With the 40/20 now going to the advantage of an attacking team a dedicated kicker alla Snyed is paramount Hull didn't beat us Snyed did Brilliant exhibition
I'm not advocating a RU kicking game but a Hull type game where they combined it with a fluid forward game we saw at Wembley.