Worst ever Wigan #7??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Worst ever Wigan #7??

Post by DaveO »

doc wrote:With regards to Moran, he made his name due to being an excellent support player and was always on the shoulder of whoever made a break when he played for London. Wigan tried to play him as an organising half-back, a task for which he clearly did not have the skill set.
That is true and when he looked poor for us due to this he got slagged off. Powell is no different. He's another player not suited for the role the coach gave him, that of a 7.

The trouble is many of the skills you need as a 7, you need as a 9 such as bit of pace and good passing skills. What he does have is the defensive ability but even if he reverts to being a 9 he's not good enough to be the starting one so the question then becomes do we want to use a bench spot up for him? Or do we want an good 80 minute hooker? I can see it being useful to be able to bring on a tackling machine at some point in some games but Wane doesn't use him as such.

Maybe Lam can get something better out of him and improve his passing and reading of the game but his pace is what it is. Wigan have always looked to improve and if that ethos is still at the club then his position in the side has got to be under threat. We are quick to cite the old phrase no player is bigger than the club when we lose a decent player but for some reason that doesn't seem to apply to Powell as there seems a lot of loyalty to a mediocre player.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

pedro wrote:reber and moran were both far worse
Mark Reber was a hooker and was not a bad player but had too many injuries - hence why fans talk rubbish about him being crap (bit like saying Luke Davico was crap).

Now if you are on about poor players who were highly rated and cost plenty as far as wages and were rubbish (and not scrum halfs) then I give you - Matty Johns
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

As I see it, the problem the knockers have is that they disagree with Wane's approach, regardless of how successful it may be. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

We are probably favourites to finish 2nd and win the GF, but some want nothing short of a reincarnation of Hanley, Faz, Boston, Greg, etc etc (and forget the bad days we had then, like Les Boyd's Warrington whupping us a few times in the 80s).

Get rid of Powell and sign Rangi Chase and 1 or 2 may be happy that we have some flair....whilst finishing 6th or 7th and winning nowt.

Wane is statistically a top coach. DaveO says many who complain about Sam P know a good player when they see one. Like those who rated Navarrete as a cheapo project player who was not good enough, Dave? Or Hamlin - too small? The ones who always know better than Wane.

I guess many nobodies have a deep-seated psychological need to think they're somebody, and playing "Fantasy Rugby Coach" via this forum gives them their chance to fulfil their dream. Unfortunately it's only by denigrating genuine grafters, with no little skill, like Sam Powell and becoming more negative about the team they supposedly support than are most opposition fans. A total disgrace!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

morley pie eater wrote:As I see it, the problem the knockers have is that they disagree with Wane's approach, regardless of how successful it may be. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

We are probably favourites to finish 2nd and win the GF, but some want nothing short of a reincarnation of Hanley, Faz, Boston, Greg, etc etc (and forget the bad days we had then, like Les Boyd's Warrington whupping us a few times in the 80s).

Get rid of Powell and sign Rangi Chase and 1 or 2 may be happy that we have some flair....whilst finishing 6th or 7th and winning nowt.

Wane is statistically a top coach. DaveO says many who complain about Sam P know a good player when they see one. Like those who rated Navarrete as a cheapo project player who was not good enough, Dave? Or Hamlin - too small? The ones who always know better than Wane.

I guess many nobodies have a deep-seated psychological need to think they're somebody, and playing "Fantasy Rugby Coach" via this forum gives them their chance to fulfil their dream. Unfortunately it's only by denigrating genuine grafters, with no little skill, like Sam Powell and becoming more negative about the team they supposedly support than are most opposition fans. A total disgrace!
I was going to post something similar. Sam Powell may not be the best #7 or #9 in Superleague but in a salary capped sport he is superb team player.
I've read on forums that we should sack him off and sign Danny Walker from Widnes. Well on Saturday I watched Walker closely in the Widnes v Halifax game and if anyone thinks that Walker was better than Powell whilst playing against the weakest team in the top sixteen then they must have watched a different game to me. For some reason fans seem to need a scapegoat, we've had Sarge, Williams, Gildart, Tomkins and Powell this season.
Why?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

What amazes me is this.

Williams by many on here gets a pass and its all the way Wane plays him.

Powell though gets slated for it.

So why is Williams getting the Wane fault yet others like Powell, TL and Sam Powell do not. It can not be just that Powell is crap and Williams would be awesome but for Wane.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

thegimble wrote:What amazes me is this.

So why is Williams getting the Wane fault yet others like Powell, TL and Sam Powell do not. It can not be just that Powell is crap and Williams would be awesome but for Wane.
Can anybody make any sense of this?
pedro

Post by pedro »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
pedro wrote:reber and moran were both far worse
Mark Reber was a hooker and was not a bad player but had too many injuries - hence why fans talk rubbish about him being crap (bit like saying Luke Davico was crap).

Now if you are on about poor players who were highly rated and cost plenty as far as wages and were rubbish (and not scrum halfs) then I give you - Matty Johns
He was signed as a 7 and was poor so was Florimo who came with him, John’s was injured a lot, went ok once fit.
pedro

Post by pedro »

No straw damn us wrote:

Think he’s saying all Williams, Powell and tommy does is catch and pass, I would normally agree but though George went well v wire taking them on.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

No straw damn us wrote:

Yes. He is saying some people think, wrongly, that when Williams looks like he's had a bad game it's down to Wanes stifling tactics but when Powell looks like he's had a bad game it's because he is crap, so the two players are being measured unfairly.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Its time we dropped this post and apologized to Sam Powel & i just hope he has not read this bullshit about him