Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mickw

Re: Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Post by Mickw »

What an idiot,I've no sympathy at all.
It'll give our younger lads a chance to shine ,
depending on the circumstances the club will have to stand by him
they've made a rod for their own backs in that regard.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm sure we'll offer Gabe some support but, if he's in Oz, there's not much we can do. His contract will be finished before his ban runs out so he'll not play for us again. He's also made it clear that he'd like to return to the NRL (sounds like he was missing home anyway) if he'd played well enough over here. How likely is that now?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

old hooker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:56 am Will the club stand by him if he is found guilty of any wrongdoing as it is his would be the first time he has done anything of this nature?Double standards if they dont after signing and doing everything possible to look after Hardaker who is a serial offender.Lets wait and see.
If he is found guilty, will his work permit/visa not be revoked? If it is then it's completely out of the clubs hands.
endoman

Post by endoman »

If he's found guilty he can have nothing to do with the club during any ban. that's UKADA rules.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

endoman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 am If he's found guilty he can have nothing to do with the club during any ban. that's UKADA rules.
Yes, but the club can't support him if he's not allowed to work in the country in any profession through having no work permit or visa.
endoman

Post by endoman »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 am
endoman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 am If he's found guilty he can have nothing to do with the club during any ban. that's UKADA rules.
Yes, but the club can't support him if he's not allowed to work in the country in any profession through having no work permit or visa.
Yep.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Latest on Gabe Hamlin from Wigan Warriors executive director Kris Radlinski

Kris Radlinski has provided an update to the Gabe Hamlin situation prior to Wigan Warriors’ weekly press conference. Wigan’s executive director revealed Hamlin has until next Monday to inform UK anti-doping whether he accepts the violation charge or challenges it.

Radlinski stressed the club’s hands are tied in terms of revealing details. But he was very candid about the culture within the club and other issues. Radlinski also said Shaun Edwards remains in contact with chairman Ian Lenagan and ‘working to a timeframe’ without putting a deadline on it.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9689106
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Gabe Hamlin doping charge: 'We drive a strong culture at Wigan Warriors,' says Kris Radlinski

Executive director Kris Radlinski has issued a robust defence of the culture at Wigan Warriors following Gabe Hamlin's doping charge. Australian prop Hamlin has flown home after being informed he had been suspended because of a UK Anti-Doping violation.

While the circumstances of the charge are not clear, it is another bloody nose for the club and the sport. And with fringe player Craig Mullen last week charged with drink driving, it inevitably raises questions about the off-field standards expected at Wigan.

Radlinski, though, says they educate players extensively and they have to take accountability of their own actions away from the club.

He said: "It's not ideal, there's a fair amount of negativity at the minute, it's my job to protect this club and ensure we continue to drive a strong culture. "I understand that will be questioned at this stage, but in testing times cultures are tested and that's where we're at.

"There have been a couple of incidents in the last couple of weeks but all we can do is concentrate to educating our players and putting strong welfare programmes in place, which we have done "I firmly believe that we have a strong programme here, from 8am until 4pm, the players get no better service.

"When they leave, they go into the real world, they make their own decisions. "All we can do is continue to drive and reinforce that there are challenges out there.

It's not unique to this club, there are challenges in multiple sports." He added: "We have workshops on gambling, drugs, finance management - we go into a lot of detail.

"Once a month there'll be a seminar about society issues and problems - we're in a situation 87 per cent are engaged in 'career after sport' activities, which is a fantastic number.

"I'm confident we're doing everything we can, but on the back of this, everything will have to get reviewed."

Wigan announced Hamlin's suspension, imposed by the RFL after learning of UKAD's charge, in a brief statement last night. The 22-year-old has until Monday to contact UKAD and decide whether to accept the charge - and punishment outlined to him in writing - or challenge it.

Warriors said it was a UKAD violation but the nature of the charge is unclear, and Radlinski explained why he couldn't cast any more light on the issue during a press briefing today.

It's a very difficult situation, the process is in the hands of Gabriel and his legal team, that's not our news to break - they have to determine how they're going to approach UKAD," he said. "The deadline is April 8 so he's got less than a week to decide what to do.

"It's not for me to say, that's for Gabriel or his legal team, I can't get into that. I'm following the advice of our legal team... we sought advice from the governing body and they understood the difficulty of this situation."

Radlinski says they received Hamlin's approval before issuing yesterday's statement and Wigan would be willing to announce his intentions, once he has contacted UKAD, but that is a decision for the player to make.

"There are processes we need to stick by which are out of our control, I need to stress that - this is not in Wigan's hands, this is in the hands of Gabriel and his legal team," said Radlinski, who address the players and staff this morning. "I spoke openly and honestly and said we have to remain strong as a club."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 1-9689495
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Post by DaveO »

So in a nutshell Rads is saying the club is powerless to prevent players being idiots and doing drugs in their own time?

I can’t say I agree. Plenty of sports clubs across pro sport insist on a certain level of off field behaviour when the athletes are on their own time including bans on excessive drinking (or drinking at all at certain times) never mind taking drugs.

Sure even with such bans you can’t stop idiots being idiots but you can put in place a set of rules that make it clear if you break them your liable to be fired. This is not a lack of duty of care, it’s part of it i.e. it’s part of preventing players doing this in the first place because you make it plain if they go that way they are probably out the door.

As it stands it sounds like the club leaves it up to external bodies such as UKAD or enforce the rules and impose sanctions.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Radlinski says its his job to protect the club and drive a strong culture so why did the club sign serial offender Hardaker? Hypocritical in my opinion.