Harlequins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
heydude

Re: Harlequins

Post by heydude »

the only problem i am having with this merger/takeover is that would this have still of happened if harlequins had stayed in the zurich premiership and not been relegated. :eusa18:
don't eat yellow snow
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fraggle posted:
thegimble posted:
Loyalty is nothing to do where your from.
As someone who has never lived in the Wigan area I know this, and yes I realise there are loyal London supporters in the same way there are loyal supporters of just about every team no matter how small, although I've been to London games a few times where away fans have outnumbered the London fans. From my limited experience they do seem to have a larger proportion of Aussie fans than UK fans, but I'm sure these Aussies who want to watch RL in their current neighbourhood are as loyal to the club as we are to ours.

But with the history of the London team, I don't really think the loyal fans will be inconvienced by moving again, they must be used to it by now. I never got to go to The Stoop last time they were there, but it's somewhere the club is familiar with and somewhere the fans will be familiar with. It's got to be better than playing at The Valley which was far too big for the team, and I wasn't impressed with Griffin Park and its surrounds either and the fact that the Broncos get booted out for several weeks every year can't be great for the fans who want to watch their team at home.
Im the same as u i never lived anywhere near Wigan. For me the exsistance of a London team is all superfishal. Its only reason for being is for Sky and some people to be able to say we are a national game. Union might have teams in Newcastle and Leeds but it is still mainly in areas south of the M62.

They could have kept the name London Broncos but to change the name is selling your soul. All the media people can put a spin on it but it is still a case of them loosing their idientity.

They have had preferencial treatment in number of overseas and in being kept alive by just 1 vote in a meeting this season. Yes we need to become a national game but by letting whatever theyll call themselves tomorrow still remain in the game is wrong. They get more overseas players develop hardly any of their own and still they get a life line. If this happened to Leigh would they be given the same chance some how i think not.

Its not a question of wanting preferentila treatment but a case of all to be on the same pitch. The season they went to the CC final was a farce as if there was every fixing going on i sport it was here. They made the semi the season before and losed out to the Eagles and the season after they got turned over by Leeds in the final. Apart from the Eagles they never played a top half team from the SL in any of the rounds.

I know im transgressing but how many different guises and chances are they going to have. If it fails again then the cord must be cut.

Even iof this uposets the Loyal fans i mentioned in a previous post.
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

heydude posted:
the only problem i am having with this merger/takeover is that would this have still of happened if harlequins had stayed in the zurich premiership and not been relegated. :eusa18:
erm............. for some reason i dont think it would have. maybe if they were close to relegation but not if they did any good
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
There already is at least one other London RL team, London Skolars. Ever heard of Manchester City or Manchester United in soccer?
Why the sarcasm, Dave? Ever heard of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Charlton, QPR, Crystal Palace, West Ham........?
I wasn't being sarcastic just pointing out there is another team with London in its name and that clubs do adopt their cities names.
I know you like to come across as a poster of some depth, but you can be quite condescending also. Do you really think I hadn't heard of Manchester City and Manchester United?
No, but I didn't think you had made the connection if you get my drift.

As to being condescending, well coming from yourself one of the most forthright posters on the board I'll take that coment with a pinch of salt. :lol:

Dave
Pedro the Exile

Post by Pedro the Exile »

jinkin jimmy posted:
but what's to stop us seeing more London based teams now? London Irish RLFC perhaps?
Except that "London" Irish play at the Madjeski Stadium in Reading which is abit of a hike up the m6.The fact is that Yawnion is not particularly well supported in London with most of the so called London teams having either gone bust,been relegated or moved out.Don't know what that's got to do with anything but their you go.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Pedro the Exile posted:
Except that "London" Irish play at the Madjeski Stadium in Reading which is abit of a hike up the m6.
M4, but aren't they called the Exiles, so being away from the town they're named after is appropriate.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

you could predict this was going to happen .pay high wages get £3m dept rfl pay it off got took over and change name and stadium.would this happen if they had there debts ,NO WAY think the whole situation stinks .Am i alone with this feeling just couldnt see any other buisness getting away with it. And to addd injury to insult now look like getting our place in play offs.surley all this is not right i for 1 think they should of been kicked out of sl.Sory 4 going on but this as been getting on my waz for ages the whole situation between sl and keeping a team in london is so out of order ,if they want to play let them but on an equal field. :o
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Not really sure what i think about the situation but surely there should be a points deduction for mismanagement.The rules state that you can lose points for breaching salary cap rules yet if you accumulate 3mill in debts need financial support then to stay afloat then you should be punished.
Harlequins above Wigan in RFL is a joke and an insult.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

damien morrissey posted:
Not really sure what i think about the situation but surely there should be a points deduction for mismanagement.The rules state that you can lose points for breaching salary cap rules yet if you accumulate 3mill in debts need financial support then to stay afloat then you should be punished.
Harlequins above Wigan in RFL is a joke and an insult.
thats a far point remember a team winning the grand final a few years ago,then the season after getting points deducted for cheating on the sallary cap the year they won the gf (sts)i think,surley you should get the points deducted the year the offence happend if not take the cup off them,and a place in the play offs :sly:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Three years ago in NRL the bulldogs were well clear of the rest were minor premiers with five games to go were found to be breaking salary cap regs and all there points deducted.Doesnt this seem a fit punishment they are still afloat out of SL for two years but why should a club such as widnes or leigh go down when they have managed there business well, is it a joke