Wigan Warriors recruitment update as injury crisis worsens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Wigan Warriors recruitment update as injury crisis worsens

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If we were up to the salary cap and couldn't afford to bring back loanees then O'Neil & Clarke couldn't have returned. It seems to me that Hanks being on the outer is due to Lam and no one else.

Whatever the conditions of his loan there's no point in Hanks returning if Lam isn't going to play him. With props going back on the field with 5 or 6 mins to go and the game already lost, Lam's tactics and team management are bewildering.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:26 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 am What are the conditions attached to his loan?
We have no idea but if the conditions attached preclude his recall, which idiot agreed to that?
Whose to say it wasn't London who said we want him for the season on loan without the ability to recall.

If Lam had 0 plans of using Hankinson OR he has gone on loan for salary cap reasons then the ability to not have a re-call is probably the right.
And the same applies. Which idiot would agree to those terms?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:35 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:26 am

We have no idea but if the conditions attached preclude his recall, which idiot agreed to that?
Whose to say it wasn't London who said we want him for the season on loan without the ability to recall.

If Lam had 0 plans of using Hankinson OR he has gone on loan for salary cap reasons then the ability to not have a re-call is probably the right.
And the same applies. Which idiot would agree to those terms?
We are nowhere near the salary cap limit, I agree with Dave it is bad management.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

From Last night

“Morgan has been playing through his injury [ankle] for the last few weeks. He’s done that again so it’s a shame but he will be a couple of weeks.”
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Why don't we sign Jake Mamo better than anything that we have got,plays with a lot of enthusiasm.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I can only assume Hankinson not being recalled is about budget. We're certainly not at the cap limit but we're also certainly not anywhere near capable of spending to the cap limit this year. Hankinson will probably only be a middle earner in the side but if there's a strict budget in place then I can understand why they've held off.

The problem is there comes a point where we may have to accept that no reinforcements are going to come available as every squad is starting to thin. If Hankinson's wage is indeed reserved for a prop that we're not going to get then surely bringing Hankinson back is better than not signing anyone.

I was fine with Hankinson remaining on loan early in the season. Isa and Farrell did a good job, had some very good games between them and it also allowed plenty of game time for Smithies and Shorrocks who have benefitted from that. The problem now is the squad is wearing thin. There are young players having to play on with injuries and just being able to take them out of the firing line would be great.

Hankinson isn't a world beater. I doubt he'd provide a massive difference as right centre isn't our weak point. But what he would do is be a solid defender as he proved when he was here before. He'd allow Isa to go back to being an option in the pack. Isa was signed as a middle but pushed to second row out of necessity. Maybe we should go back to plan A in that respect and just add him to the bodies in the middle of the field. That's surely got to be better than playing an injured Smithies (Lam admitted post-match he was already injured) or letting Clark drop the ball for 15 minutes per game, or playing O'Neill for 10 minutes.

Goalkicking would be a bonus. For me it's getting to the point where we need as many options as possible in the forwards to stop our players, particularly the young ones, getting burned out.

I doubt it will happen though. Singleton will return and Clubb after that and no doubt they will be seen as the solution to all our problems.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Hankinson as mentioned would allow a forward to go back into the pack and given Bateman is injured this has got to be another reason to get him back.

Against HKR we’d have been level at one point if the kicks had gone over and it can become a different game than.

I don’t get the opposition to his return or the defending of the club for not doing it. While we know he’s not a top class centre but the idea the likes of Isa is a better one is not proven as far as I am concerned.

There is either a weird and stubborn resistance on the part of the club for doing it or they have got themselves into a position they can’t either contractually over the loan agreement or financially despite losing big earners like Burgess which is bad management.