Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:00 pm
the pieman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:17 pm IMO there has been a massive shift in attitute coming out of the club in the last 2 months

Everything felt down and out with Lam at the helm (i dont blame his solely for this), and i think the fans and management were in that mentality too. It honestly felt like the life had been drained out of the club over the previous 18-24 months or so

Fast forward 2 months, and it feels so different to me. There is some good positive communication coming out of the club (i'm sure that some will still complain about it) and it feels like the club are engaging with the fans again. I know that there is the community activity, but i also believe that they are back in the local schools which is where our future lies (both as potential players and fans), so i can only applaud the club for what seems to be the start of getting us back to where we all believe the club should be, which is the biggest and best RL club in the world. If they are making improvements off the field, which we all know where needed and we start to see improvements on it, then there is no reason why in the next couple of seasons (possibly even this season) we shouldnt be challenging for trophies again.
Considering In 2020 we got the LL and made it to the final and finished 4th last year (somehow) we cannot be that far from trophies anyway.

However as long as we can win the Derby next year I'm happy.
thats true about 2020, but was anyone particularly happy with how we played and how it felt around the place. i know Covid will have had a big impact on both the general performance of the team(s) and also how the fans were, considering we couldnt attend games and that applies to the whole of the game. we just happened to have played more games than the others (and with a better win %age) to finish top

I was trying to put a positive emphasis on how it feels at present compared to the last couple of years, but if you read a lot of posts on here, we are favourites for relegation? Whilst we may not win the LL or GF, a significant improvement in performances and challenging (realistically) will be a big step forwards. If we win one of the trophies, then that will be a step in the right direction. I personally believe we will be there or there abouts, but may not have enough to win the big one
DaveO

Re: Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:58 am I was trying to put a positive emphasis on how it feels at present compared to the last couple of years, but if you read a lot of posts on here, we are favourites for relegation? Whilst we may not win the LL or GF, a significant improvement in performances and challenging (realistically) will be a big step forwards. If we win one of the trophies, then that will be a step in the right direction. I personally believe we will be there or there abouts, but may not have enough to win the big one
League Leader's shield does not count unfortunately. Not winning the CC or GF would represent another year of failure. If we don't win the CC next year that will be 9 years without a win. Fail to win the GF and it will be four years since we won that. We laugh at Warrington and their poor record at being champions but even they have had more recent trophy success than us winning the CC in 2019. The thought we might not have enough to win the big one after that length of time without success is a ridiculous position for this club.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I thought we would kick on after winning the LLS in 2020, but last year was dire. The one area I thought we could not be faulted though was effort, particularly defensively. Aside from Catalans away we kept going, and our defence kept us in games over and over again. I am not hoping for an improvement in the defence or desire or commitment, what bothers me is how we are going to score points. Which isn’t culture, and visiting schools, it is personnel and structure.

In an article in the MEN, Peet talks about Hardaker and French being back at some point, and not being rushed back. That suggests to me that they won’t be ready for round 1 and won’t have taken any meaningful part in pre season training. Smith is likewise absent from pre season for now.

Cust and Field seem to be fit, and so could be 6 and 7. From what I have read they are both broken field runners, but have played for good NRL sides in those positions. If we go with them there, then I am not sure who plays 1. Hanley? Or, is Smith is fit, maybe Field? At 13, I think Shorrocks is the best bet, and at 9, I would pick O’Neil from the little I have seen of him. I am resigned to seeing Powell at 9, as I think we all are at this point. Which means we could start with Hanley - Field - Cust - Powell - Shorrocks: Will that be more creative than last year? Over to Peet and Briers on that one.

Nobody would be happier than me to see a new Wigan take the field and play like McGuire’s teams. They were clearly fitter and better coached than under Noble. But they also had some serious talent and a once in a generation game breaker in Sam T. Maybe we have another Sam T waiting in the wings? Now that would be something…
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:31 pm I thought we would kick on after winning the LLS in 2020, but last year was dire. The one area I thought we could not be faulted though was effort, particularly defensively. Aside from Catalans away we kept going, and our defence kept us in games over and over again. I am not hoping for an improvement in the defence or desire or commitment, what bothers me is how we are going to score points. Which isn’t culture, and visiting schools, it is personnel and structure.

In an article in the MEN, Peet talks about Hardaker and French being back at some point, and not being rushed back. That suggests to me that they won’t be ready for round 1 and won’t have taken any meaningful part in pre season training. Smith is likewise absent from pre season for now.

Cust and Field seem to be fit, and so could be 6 and 7. From what I have read they are both broken field runners, but have played for good NRL sides in those positions. If we go with them there, then I am not sure who plays 1. Hanley? Or, is Smith is fit, maybe Field? At 13, I think Shorrocks is the best bet, and at 9, I would pick O’Neil from the little I have seen of him. I am resigned to seeing Powell at 9, as I think we all are at this point. Which means we could start with Hanley - Field - Cust - Powell - Shorrocks: Will that be more creative than last year? Over to Peet and Briers on that one.

Nobody would be happier than me to see a new Wigan take the field and play like McGuire’s teams. They were clearly fitter and better coached than under Noble. But they also had some serious talent and a once in a generation game breaker in Sam T. Maybe we have another Sam T waiting in the wings? Now that would be something…
I thought the cracks were starting to appear that season. I know we won the LLS and I thought we were brilliant in the GF, best performance of the season for me, but it was a shorter season because of Covid so less games.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Smith is pictured in the recent sessions over in Formby.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

endoman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:58 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Smith is pictured in the recent sessions over in Formby.
This will annoy a few people who have been making up he wont be fit to start!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If that’s a dig at me, I read it in a newspaper report. We shall see who is fit and well soon enough.
Would this make you feel better...
It certainly looks as if there has never been a better sense of togetherness among the players, and connection with the town. The new signings and coaching team look certain to guide us to glory, in style!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

DaveO wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:58 am I was trying to put a positive emphasis on how it feels at present compared to the last couple of years, but if you read a lot of posts on here, we are favourites for relegation? Whilst we may not win the LL or GF, a significant improvement in performances and challenging (realistically) will be a big step forwards. If we win one of the trophies, then that will be a step in the right direction. I personally believe we will be there or there abouts, but may not have enough to win the big one
League Leader's shield does not count unfortunately. Not winning the CC or GF would represent another year of failure. If we don't win the CC next year that will be 9 years without a win. Fail to win the GF and it will be four years since we won that. We laugh at Warrington and their poor record at being champions but even they have had more recent trophy success than us winning the CC in 2019. The thought we might not have enough to win the big one after that length of time without success is a ridiculous position for this club.
unfortunately re League Leader's shield, that is how sky have diminished its importance and it all about 1 game. i personally hate how little recognition it gets, especially when you have played all season for virtually everyone to say its crap. I would like to see some real financial recognition (i think it may be £50k now?, unless i have missed an increase), and make it £500k, then there is real incentive to go all out to win the LL shield. How we fund that would be a different matter
the niggle in my mind re this year and the ability to win the GF, is that we have lost a hell of a lot of experience / big game players, and to that extent i agree that not winning the GF would be a failing of the club over the last few years to properly plan / manage the squad, not necessarily a failing of the current squad, especially if they perform well all season.
re challenge cup, its surprising how quickly that has got to 9 years, and to have only appeared in 1 final since too.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It's amazing how at all clubs the fans say the LL is nothing when they want to put down the club but then it's suddenly something when they use it to show how well the team plays all year.

It is factually silverware so it has only been 1 season since we last had anything.

As usual if anything can be used to spin a negative to against the club certain fans will do it.

The joke about wires success is the GF record to even try and compare wigans recent GF record is comical.

Doesn't mean everything is roses but ffs acting like we are salford/wakefield/hull
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:56 am It's amazing how at all clubs the fans say the LL is nothing when they want to put down the club but then it's suddenly something when they use it to show how well the team plays all year.

It is factually silverware so it has only been 1 season since we last had anything.

As usual if anything can be used to spin a negative to against the club certain fans will do it.

The joke about wires success is the GF record to even try and compare wigans recent GF record is comical.

Doesn't mean everything is roses but ffs acting like we are salford/wakefield/hull
It isn't "nothing".

It is, however, not the point of the competition, rather an addon, an afterthought if you will, and as such should not form part of the planning for the year (unless it confers a significant advantage for the playoffs, and in that case it would be the league position that is relevant, not the "trophy" that is awarded for it.