Hatred from Latics fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Hatred from Latics fans

Post by Wintergreen »

There will always be illogical arguments on "both" sides.

Personally I wish Latics all the best and often look out for their results in the hope of finding they are doing well.

In terms of why a lot of Latics fans "hate" the rugby, I think it boils down to the "smaller" club/country holding onto a rivalry more than their larger counterpart.

e.g. if England are playing a football game, a large part of the Scotland/Wales/Ireland supporters will want them to lose.

If it's the other way around, most England fans wouldn't care one way or another.

It's part of being the larger country. Same with Wigan and rugby.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:10 pm There will always be illogical arguments on "both" sides.

Personally I wish Latics all the best and often look out for their results in the hope of finding they are doing well.

In terms of why a lot of Latics fans "hate" the rugby, I think it boils down to the "smaller" club/country holding onto a rivalry more than their larger counterpart.

e.g. if England are playing a football game, a large part of the Scotland/Wales/Ireland supporters will want them to lose.

If it's the other way around, most England fans wouldn't care one way or another.

It's part of being the larger country. Same with Wigan and rugby.
Just reading your post, think I understand what you're saying. In the background is Scotland v England at rah-rah.

Scotland just went from 10-17 down to 20-17 up. I grinned (not that I really care who wins, and wasn't aware they were playing until I noticed it on telly).

Does that fit with your theory?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Midas

Post by Midas »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:14 pm
Midas wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:40 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:28 pm

He’d have been seen as a saviour, really?! You and I know a good majority of the loud minority didn’t want him anywhere near it, with some even saying they’d rather Latics go to the wall. And praise for the administrators?! I’ve heard it all now. They were called not fit to burn by every single Wigan Athletic fan.

Acceptance by Wigan Warriors they were in the wrong? It was Ian Lenagan looking to buy the stadium, you do realise that? He isn’t Wigan Warriors, in the same way that the old Chinese owners at Latics weren’t Wigan Athletic. It’s not like he was in the wrong anyway, he tried to buy a stadium to safeguard both clubs future but he hasn’t the money to run the football club. Would you have preferred he bought the club and Latics have ended up falling further down the leagues?

As I say it’s the new line being peddled by the Latics fan base that want to keep this ridiculous Ill feeling between the clubs going strong and in fairness to them, it’s working a treat. To seemingly have Talal Al Hammad on board with it all is as laughable as it is sad.

I just try to ignore it most of the time because it’s pointless. There are fans on both sides who won’t let it lie and never will.

So how would Ian Leneghen safeguard the the future of Wigan Athletic by buying the stadium ? The simple answer is he wouldn’t have. He would safeguard the future of Wigan Warriors but not Latics because he would have no control over them and they still would have no owner. Many Latics fans were happy with the idea of Ian Leneghen and a local consortium taking control but it never got off the ground ,you will have to ask him why ? I agree there are fans on both sides who will not let it drop , we need to come together for the benefit of both clubs. As regards Talal ,he is a very shrewd business man who sees the benefits of two successful clubs at the stadium. Don’t believe the blue seats business because it won’t happen. Will not bother you again , once again good luck for the new season.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Latics would’ve had somewhere to play in for eternity but wouldn’t have had a loss making stadium to shift along with the club. It would’ve appealed to some buyers who weren’t bidding otherwise but not to others. Ian Lenagan doesn’t have the money to own and run Latics but he absolutely would’ve needed then playing in the stadium to make it affordable, so how was it in his plan, his interests to buy a stadium knowing it would likely finish them off? The answer was it wasn’t and had he felt that he wouldn’t be daft enough to go ahead with it.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fit the narrative though. He was out for a stadium got the rugby and was happy to kill Latics off is what some Latics fans want people to believe.

I just wish that element of Latics fans could be happy with how it’s all turned out without trying to use it as a way of building bad blood. The club looks to be in good hands, we’re in a great spot for promotion and the future is exciting. The two clubs really need to work together and I just wish people could be proud of both clubs, like I am. We’re a small town with two excellent sports clubs and we’re only weaker when there is a divide.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:05 pm Latics would’ve had somewhere to play in for eternity but wouldn’t have had a loss making stadium to shift along with the club. It would’ve appealed to some buyers who weren’t bidding otherwise but not to others. Ian Lenagan doesn’t have the money to own and run Latics but he absolutely would’ve needed then playing in the stadium to make it affordable, so how was it in his plan, his interests to buy a stadium knowing it would likely finish them off? The answer was it wasn’t and had he felt that he wouldn’t be daft enough to go ahead with it.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fit the narrative though. He was out for a stadium got the rugby and was happy to kill Latics off is what some Latics fans want people to believe.

I just wish that element of Latics fans could be happy with how it’s all turned out without trying to use it as a way of building bad blood. The club looks to be in good hands, we’re in a great spot for promotion and the future is exciting. The two clubs really need to work together and I just wish people could be proud of both clubs, like I am. We’re a small town with two excellent sports clubs and we’re only weaker when there is a divide.
Well said
Midas

Post by Midas »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:06 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:05 pm Latics would’ve had somewhere to play in for eternity but wouldn’t have had a loss making stadium to shift along with the club. It would’ve appealed to some buyers who weren’t bidding otherwise but not to others. Ian Lenagan doesn’t have the money to own and run Latics but he absolutely would’ve needed then playing in the stadium to make it affordable, so how was it in his plan, his interests to buy a stadium knowing it would likely finish them off? The answer was it wasn’t and had he felt that he wouldn’t be daft enough to go ahead with it.

Well said

Apart from the first two paragraphs, well said !
jobo

Post by jobo »

Midas wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:42 am

Well said

Do you seriously think Leneghan wanted to kill Latics off?
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

jobo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:16 pm

Well said

Don't waste your breath he is the problem. Regardless of what we say he and many others are blinkered in his thoughts . Logic says the complete opposite but the hatred spouted from fans ignorance of the facts and just builds to make divide even wider sad but true. I watch latics as often as I can and have 2 brothers who have been season ticket holders with them for 40 years and even they are at a loss to why the divide that goes back decades some of the fans carrying grudge are not even old enough to remember lyndsey just brainwashed by misjudged prejudice of wrl. What makes it even more extraordinary is they are 2 different sports played in there OWN TOWN how mad is that.
Midas

Post by Midas »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:32 pm
jobo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:16 pm
Don't waste your breath he is the problem. Regardless of what we say he and many others are blinkered in his thoughts . Logic says the complete opposite but the hatred spouted from fans ignorance of the facts and just builds to make divide even wider sad but true. I watch latics as often as I can and have 2 brothers who have been season ticket holders with them for 40 years and even they are at a loss to why the divide that goes back decades some of the fans carrying grudge are not even old enough to remember lyndsey just brainwashed by misjudged prejudice of wrl. What makes it even more extraordinary is they are 2 different sports played in there OWN TOWN how mad is that.
Sorry if you see me as a problem ,I can assure you I am not. I want both teams to be successful and live happily together at the DW. We have to come together as supporters for the benefit of both clubs. Just as you say we have put a spin on events ,you have also done the same. It has to stop. We are two different sports for crying out loud. Let’s support each other. That definitely is my final word.Thanks !
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

I am biased, could not care less what happens to Wigan Athletic, I hate football, bores me stiff.