Wigan squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Match Preview: Salford Red Devils

In association with Davanti Tyres, here is everything you need to know ahead of Wigan Warriors’ Round 10 home game against Salford Red Devils.

Wigan Warriors host Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium for the Cherry & Whites Round 10 Betfred Super League game on Sunday 24th April (1pm K.O.)

Campaign so far

The Warriors enter Round 10 following a big win over Wakefield Trinity on Easter Monday whilst their opponents, Salford, sit ninth in the ladder after double defeat over the Easter Weekend to Warrington Wolves and Catalans Dragons.

Team News

Peet made two changes to the 21-player squad as Sam Powell and James McDonnell drop out, replaced by Iain Thornley and Liam Marshall who both return from short-term injuries.

Injury News

In his weekly press conference, Head Coach Matt Peet confirmed that Tommy Leuluai has sustained a high-grade MCL injury and faces around 10 weeks on the sidelines. Liam Marshall and Iain Thornley however do return to the squad.

Wigan Warriors squad to face Salford Red Devils:

Matt Peet has named his Cherry and Whites squad for Sunday’s fixture.

1 Bevan French
2 Jake Bibby
4 Iain Thornley
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
8 Brad Singleton
10 Patrick Mago
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 John Bateman
14 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Harry Smith
17 Oliver Partington
19 Ethan Havard
20 Liam Byrne
22 Joe Shorrocks
23 Jai Field
24 Abbas Miski
25 Sam Halsall
28 Brad O’Neill

Opposition

Salford Head Coach Paul Rowley also named his side for the fixture on Friday afternoon.

Salford Red Devils: Ryan Brierley, Ken Sio, Kallum Watkins, Brodie Croft, Marc Sneyd, Sitaleki Akauola, Andy Ackers, Greg Burke, Elijah Taylor, Danny Addy, King Vuniyayawa, Chris Atkin, Jack Ormondroyd, Jack Wells, Josh Johnson, Rhys Williams, Matt Costello, Morgan Escaré, Sam Luckley, Deon Cross, Alex Gerrard.

Previous Meetings

Wigan have won eight of their last ten Super League meetings with Salford Red Devils and have the lions share of wins in their 53 total Super League meetings.

Last Ten:

Wigan 20, Salford 0 (CCR6, 25/3/22)
Wigan 16, Salford 6 (SLR18, 6/8/21)
Salford 16, Wigan 17 (SLR7, 22/5/21)
Wigan 58, Salford 12 (SLR17, 23/10/20)(at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens)
Salford 18, Wigan 14 (SLR7, 13/3/20)
Wigan 4, Salford 28 (SLFE, 4/10/19)
Wigan 18, Salford 12 (SLQPO, 20/9/19)
Wigan 28, Salford 12 (SLR20, 28/6/19)
Salford 26, Wigan 30 (SLR12, 22/4/19)
Salford 22, Wigan 30 (SLR7, 24/3/19)

Super League Summary

Wigan wins: 45
Salford wins: 8
Coach Quotes

Speaking to the press ahead of Sunday’s match, Matt Peet said: “We saw in the last game here that it was a tight affair. There is a bit of local pride at stake when Salford come here, they always put in a proud performance and I don’t think many of those games have been blowout scores by a long way. We’re expecting the best of Salford, they’re very competitive, they have attacking threats across the field and we know that it’ll be a test but really it’s about us improving. We say it every week, but regardless of who we play and what form they are in – we have to be better. We have areas of the game that we need to nail, and if we do that it’ll help us get wins.”

Read the full preview from Matt Peet HERE. https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/04/ ... salford-2/

Match officials

The man in the middle on Sunday afternoon will be Marcus Griffiths.

Ticket prices

The prices for tickets are as follows:

South Stand:

Loyal 18 members – from £10
General sale – from £11
East and West Stands – in line with 2022 season ticket prices, tickets for the East and West Stands are priced the same:

Loyal 18 members – from £20
General sale – from £21
Pay on the day

Please note the DW Stadium is now a cashless stadium and card payments only will be received. Pay on the gate is not available; tickets must be bought in advance to entry to the stadium. All food and drink inside the concourses are card only, though programme and golden gamble sellers outside the ground still require cash payment.

Car Parks

Card payments are now accepted on all of our car parks, the charges remain the same (£5.00 per car/£10 per minibus/£20 per coach on Car Park 1, and Cars £5.00 on Car Parks 3 & 4). Seasonal passes are still available at the ticket office. Card payments on the car parks are the preferred method of payment.

How to buy

You can buy tickets in either of these three ways:

Buy online by clicking HERE.
Call the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111.
Visit the DW Stadium Ticket Office in person.
How to follow

Watch Live

This weekend’s game is available to watch on terrestrial TV with Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils shown live on Channel 4.

Listen Live

Listen to free audio commentary of Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils from the DW Stadium as Wigan face Salford in Round Ten of the Betfred Super League.

Our regular commentary team of Joe Mills and Bilko (Andrew Rimmer) will bring you full commentary, with coverage starting 10 minutes before kick-off (12:50pm).

How to listen

Head to our Mixlr page by clicking HERE. Alternatively, you can simply use the pop out player below.

Wigan TV

Match highlights and match reaction will be available on Wigan TV following the result. Not a subscriber? Find out more HERE.

Social Media

As an alternative to following the game, Wigan fans can keep up-to-date with every piece of the action via our social media channels and website,

Twitter (@WiganWarriorsRL) – live game updates and reaction at the final hooter.
Instagram (@wiganwarriorsrl) – behind-the-scenes action, both before and after kick off.
Facebook (Wigan Warriors) – live matchday information and reaction.
Website (www.wiganwarriors.com) – post-match reaction including match report, and Head Coach and players reaction.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/04/ ... -devils-3/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Looking forward to this game, however it won't be any sort of spectacle for non RL fans with the stadium being more than half empty.
I don't know what's worse. The fact salford will only bring 30 fans or that they will be louder than the 9k wigan fans
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:32 am Looking forward to this game, however it won't be any sort of spectacle for non RL fans with the stadium being more than half empty.
I don't know what's worse. The fact salford will only bring 30 fans or that they will be louder than the 9k wigan fans
It will be bad that if on a Sunday, at a reasonable time and with good weather forecast, people don't turn out today.

The Club needs to do something to bring people in for games like this. (Event days etc)
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:11 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:32 am Looking forward to this game, however it won't be any sort of spectacle for non RL fans with the stadium being more than half empty.
It will be bad if on a Sunday at a reasonable time and with good weather forecast is people don't turn out today.

Club needing to do something to bring people in for games like this. (Event days etc)
I agree, they need to market and advertise these games as well as doing things to increase numbers and gain new fans such as giving out tickets to primary schools, secondary schools, amateur teams.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

No trains again this weekend Scotland to Wigan . So it's Edinburgh - Belfast - London - Wigan lol . But we will be there lol

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:13 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:11 am
It will be bad if on a Sunday at a reasonable time and with good weather forecast is people don't turn out today.

Club needing to do something to bring people in for games like this. (Event days etc)
I agree, they need to market and advertise these games as well as doing things to increase numbers and gain new fans such as giving out tickets to primary schools, secondary schools, amateur teams.
Definitely. I think the rfl should be looking at games on terrestrial to showcase the game so help out in some way to get tickets shifted too
bertina

Post by bertina »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:28 pm A good opportunity for O'Neil and Halsall.

My guess at the squad - Field, French, Halsall, Thornley, Marshall, Cust, Smith, Singleton. O'Neil, Byrne, Bateman, Farrell, Smithies. - Mago, Havard, Ellis, Shorrocks.

From what Peet says they'll see how O'Neil goes doing 80 and if he's getting gassed he'll be spelled with Shorrocks. Seems sensible to me.
I would agree with your selection Ted.
O’Neil is a hooker, play him at hooker.
Halsall is a centre, play him at centre.
If they don’t get a run of games in their natural position you’ll never find out if they are good enough or not.
It’s got to be worth a punt rather than keep trying players out of position.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I would have played halsall instead of either thornley or marshy…… both back from injury and no real threequarter on the bench…… just hope they come through unscathed…… especially thornley with his injuries this season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I'm calling it now for you Physics fans, Jai "electric" Field 8-)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Although we look up for this our inside slider( in defence) has been caught out twice already
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE