IS THIS RIGHT?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: IS THIS RIGHT?

Post by Wintergreen »

I would need to see the details behind the job.

Zero hours contracts have their place, benefiting both employer and employee in some cases.

In some cases from the employers perspective, the finances dictate that it's either a zero hours job or no job.

If it works for both parties, what's wrong with that?
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Wintergreen wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:06 am I would need to see the details behind the job.

Zero hours contracts have their place, benefiting both employer and employee in some cases.

In some cases from the employers perspective, the finances dictate that it's either a zero hours job or no job.

You can’t be making common sense statements like that!!

The self-righteous, social justice brigade will be marking your card😑. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickali1 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 am
Wintergreen wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:06 am I would need to see the details behind the job.

The self-righteous, social justice brigade will be marking your card😑. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Sorry, you are quite right.

I will thoroughly chastise myself later. ;)
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Wintergreen wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:14 pm

Sorry, you are quite right.

There is no self-righteousness here, as far as social justice brigade is concerned where do I sign up because otherwise we will be returning to days of very low pay and very long hours with no rights what so ever. It is very important the working people of this country have rights and are not down trodden. An equally balanced society that's the fairest way for everyone.

Matty Peet talks about the club is everything to Wigan. He speaks about it is part of the community and what it means to the club to be part of that. He has touched on he wants the Wigan people to belong to the club and the club belong to the people, a togetherness. This vacancy slaps this ethos squarely in the face!

mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Wigan Watcher wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:08 am
Wintergreen wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:14 pm Sorry, you are quite right.

There is no self-righteousness here, as far as social justice brigade is concerned where do I sign up because otherwise we will be returning to days of very low pay and very long hours with no rights what so ever. It is very important the working people of this country have rights and are not down trodden. An equally balanced society that's the fairest way for everyone.
Eh up Wolfie, not heard from you since the 70s. Power to the people ✊! πŸ˜‚
Wes

Post by Wes »

Not all businesses are thriving or do thrive and for a lot of small businesses going through the transition of taking on extra staff to expand is daunting as the money isn’t there but could be with extra staff as production goes up with manpower.

This is where I see zero hours contracts fitting in in the work place however it would be sensible and the right thing to do by .gov to put a 6 month cap on the job position, this would give businesses the freedom to try to expand and if it doesn’t work get rid of the position with no massive loss, if it works then the company makes it a permanent contract, the cap of 6 months would also stop businesses getting rid of the person and getting someone else in for 6 months on a zero hours contract.

Hardly rocket science.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

No it's not right especially if the pronoun "it's refers to anything to do with the protcal's of this forum's board index in particular "General Rugby League " tpics. Sounds more political rather than sport orientated to me!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:18 am
josie andrews wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:01 am
fozzieskem wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:49 am

I agree we are so afraid of words now,call it what it is if its a casual job let's everyone know where they are
Exactly this! The PC brigade go far too far! You can’t call a spade a spade these days!
It really irritates me the term "zero hours contract" it's an utterly meaningless term,whoever came up with it needs horse whipping.

Rant over πŸ˜€
It's not a meaningless term. It's an actual definition of a particular type of contract that can mean you do not have guaranteed hours for example.

The more important definition is whether or not you are classed as an "employee" or a "worker". Workers have less rights than employees but whether you end up with one classification or the other depends on your job circumstances. If you are supervised and expected to work regular hours and can't yourself approach the job casually (and a few other factors) you end up classified as an employee.

"Workers" are casual from both the companies and the workers perspective.

Of course that doesn't stop employers trying to exploit people and treat them as "workers" when they are actually "employees" because if they accept they are employees they have to give them things like redundancy pay (after two years employment), time off for parental leave, a minimum notice period and a few other things.

No idea if Wigan are seeking casual employees ("workers") here or actual employees.