John Bateman

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Dreamteam

Re: John Bateman

Post by Dreamteam »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:46 pm
cherry toffee wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:00 pm Shorrocks has done ok Dave O , he’s played in several positions and never moaned just got on with it nobody has ever claimed he was a world beater but he’s done his job for the team , he’s made the odd mistake but overall he’s not let anyone down and doesn’t deserve to be unfairly compared to a player who left Wigan for selfish reasons
How do you know?

Whilst there are certain players who are doing well this year, the fact remains that not too long ago Shorrocks was surplus to requirements and sent on loan to Leigh and Isa couldn’t get into the squad for for 1/3 of last season.

Granted Bateman didn’t live up to his reputation and salary but we are getting weaker, not stronger, in certain positions.
Peet is gradually building his own team. The 3 signings for next season all get into the 17 and are better than what we have now. Add in at least 2 more that will be coming in as well.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cherry toffee wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:00 pm Shorrocks has done ok Dave O , he’s played in several positions and never moaned just got on with it nobody has ever claimed he was a world beater but he’s done his job for the team , he’s made the odd mistake but overall he’s not let anyone down and doesn’t deserve to be unfairly compared to a player who left Wigan for selfish reasons
Spot on cherry 🍒😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I don’t see what any of that has got to do with what I said. Even a half arsed Bateman is a better player that Isa or Shorrocks as a back row forward. Shorrocks has a great utility value as he has proved this season but if Bateman hadn’t left neither Shorrocks nor Isa would have got a game last night and if the player we have signed from Leeds is signed as a back row forward they won’t get a game in the back row next season either unless someone is injured.

I don’t like players wanting away either but that doesn’t mean the likes of Shorocks or Isa are the answer. Neither does the club thank goodness given the recent signings.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

First of all Dave I never mentioned Isa secondly I never said Shorrocks was better than Bateman, I was simply trying to point out that he was doing a good job not only filling a gap that Bateman had left but also McDonnell and Nicholson , I just thought you were being a bit harsh on him .will he play second row next season after any recruitment , probably not but that doesn’t mean he’s not doing a good job this season. I just thought he deserved a bit of credit
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:57 pm
How do you know?

Whilst there are certain players who are doing well this year, the fact remains that not too long ago Shorrocks was surplus to requirements and sent on loan to Leigh and Isa couldn’t get into the squad for for 1/3 of last season.

Granted Bateman didn’t live up to his reputation and salary but we are getting weaker, not stronger, in certain positions.
Peet is gradually building his own team. The 3 signings for next season all get into the 17 and are better than what we have now. Add in at least 2 more that will be coming in as well.
That is a fair post.

Suppose you could say there was some bad timing with Bateman and KPP leaving and the Nicholson and McDonnell departures that have put us a lot weaker in second row.

Looks like this year has been a step backwards in terms of squad the squad and next year looking stronger.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

cherry toffee wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:57 pm First of all Dave I never mentioned Isa secondly I never said Shorrocks was better than Bateman, I was simply trying to point out that he was doing a good job not only filling a gap that Bateman had left but also McDonnell and Nicholson , I just thought you were being a bit harsh on him .will he play second row next season after any recruitment , probably not but that doesn’t mean he’s not doing a good job this season. I just thought he deserved a bit of credit
I think Bateman is a better player than Shorrocks. Absolutely no doubt about it. However if what I've heard and read is correct his attitude wasn't right. You can have a team full of Bateman type players and win the square root of eff all because you don't have the right mentality. You need a team to be a team and teams will always win things. That's where I feel Peet is heading towards and that's where we keep hearing the word 'culture' come from. We need players to be good enough skill and physical wise but we also need a team who can play as a team and not as individuals.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:19 am

How do you know?

That is a fair post.

Suppose you could say there was some bad timing with Bateman and KPP leaving and the Nicholson and McDonnell departures that have put us a lot weaker in second row.

Looks like this year has been a step backwards in terms of squad the squad and next year looking stronger.
You could say that to a degree however how many were waxing lyrical earlier this season about having 2 proper centres instead of having Bibby, Isa, Farrell, Bateman etc playing there? We've been unlucky with injuries and Cust being totally useless this season. It's almost like we're building again now with French finding his feet in the halves. If Field was fit and not out for the 6 weeks or so maybe French would have an extra handful of stand off games under his belt and we would look better. If Cooper wasn't taken out illegally we would look stronger up front. If Havard hadn't have popped his elbow we would have had his go forward for those few weeks we looked poor up front. It's all ifs and buts. We had a lot of injuries for 3 or 4 games and really struggled. I don't think our squad is worse this season than last season myself but I feel next season, with the 3 coming in and hopefully a couple more, we will be in an even stronger position
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Captain today against the Sharks
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:50 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:19 am

That is a fair post.

You could say that to a degree however how many were waxing lyrical earlier this season about having 2 proper centres instead of having Bibby, Isa, Farrell, Bateman etc playing there? We've been unlucky with injuries and Cust being totally useless this season. It's almost like we're building again now with French finding his feet in the halves. If Field was fit and not out for the 6 weeks or so maybe French would have an extra handful of stand off games under his belt and we would look better. If Cooper wasn't taken out illegally we would look stronger up front. If Havard hadn't have popped his elbow we would have had his go forward for those few weeks we looked poor up front. It's all ifs and buts. We had a lot of injuries for 3 or 4 games and really struggled. I don't think our squad is worse this season than last season myself but I feel next season, with the 3 coming in and hopefully a couple more, we will be in an even stronger position
👍👍👍
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐