Warrington v Wigan for Locker Cup

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Warrington v Wigan for Locker Cup

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

jobo wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:33 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 pm That drip goal shows the importance of O’Neill the speed he whipped that ball back
You might have a point but Powell has battered their forwards in defence. Think he's be great so far. That's not to say distribution from acting half back couldn't be quicker.
Everyone’s played well including Powell - but certain things like the try against saints last year don’t happen if it’s not o’neill there and the fact we have that point now has completely changed the game for us and wire

It’s not a swipe at powell it’s a compliment to o’neill peet clearly trusting him more and more in that 9 role and he’s paying back that trust in spades

Also Joe shorrocks is a machine!!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

Love smiler Powells face when things go wrong. Could melt candle wax without a match.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:37 pm
jobo wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:33 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 pm That drip goal shows the importance of O’Neill the speed he whipped that ball back
You might have a point but Powell has battered their forwards in defence. Think he's be great so far. That's not to say distribution from acting half back couldn't be quicker.
Everyone’s played well including Powell - but certain things like the try against saints last year don’t happen if it’s not o’neill there and the fact we have that point now has completely changed the game for us and wire

It’s not a swipe at powell it’s a compliment to o’neill peet clearly trusting him more and more in that 9 role and he’s paying back that trust in spades

Also Joe shorrocks is a machine!!
I agree with what you say but I'd say just leave Powell out of it. Don't forget, even Terry Newton, as good as he was in almost every other respect, was slow with distribution. Not every hooker can be everything. Think we've been spoiled by the two Martins back in the 80's/90's
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well that’s a very good result especially with the players we have out. I know that they have had some as well but they have been playing very well and it was on their patch. Very happy following up the Saints win with that.
Wigan_forever1985

Before these two games I didn’t rate our chances of a gf victory but after these two matches if we play like that I don’t see any reason we don’t win this year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:56 pm Before these two games I didn’t rate our chances of a gf victory but after these two matches if we play like that I don’t see any reason we don’t win this year
Let’s not get carried away just yet. I was more confident about the Saints game than this one for some reason. Probably the effect of the crowd and I didn’t think Saints were playing that well. Warrington on the other hand were flying. That said we can definitely complete and we have give. other teams something to think about.
Wigan_forever1985

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:04 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:56 pm Before these two games I didn’t rate our chances of a gf victory but after these two matches if we play like that I don’t see any reason we don’t win this year
Let’s not get carried away just yet. I was more confident about the Saints game than this one for some reason. Probably the effect of the crowd and I didn’t think Saints were playing that well. Warrington on the other hand were flying. That said we can definitely complete and we have give. other teams something to think about.
I don’t see why not though - think saints are on the wane - wire were bang in form coming into this - were missing key personnel - the gf will contain a combination of wigan/saints/wire/cats imo we’ve beaten 2/3 of them

The conditions tonight similar to a gf night

I don’t see why we aren’t right in the mix now
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

No fault to be found really, good intensity and, again, credit to the coach for specific plans well executed.
Certainly took the legs out of Kasiano, Vaughan and McGuire.

Credit to the Wire backs, good efforts and made something out of a few scraps to keep them in the game.

MotM, has to be Smith but excellent efforts from Havard, Ellis, KPP and ONeil.

Just need a bit more fluency. we will need it going forward.

Team v Wakey (please don't lock me :) ) is a chance to get Marshy right, rest him for Thornley, get Nsemba and Hill in the 17.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:07 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:04 pm
I don’t see why not though - think saints are on the wane - wire were bang in form coming into this - were missing key personnel - the gf will contain a combination of wigan/saints/wire/cats imo we’ve beaten 2/3 of them

The conditions tonight similar to a gf night

I don’t see why we aren’t right in the mix now
I didn’t say we weren’t - I said we can definitely compete. I just don’t want to put the mockers on it!
Wigan_forever1985

Wake my is deffo a chance to blood some youngsters and give some rests