Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by nathan_rugby »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:36 pm Smithies is playing loose forward - most of the time
The last 3 loose forwards were oloughlin, Farrell and Clarke
He is nowhere near the level of these 3 players
How often goes he send out pin point passes to our centres or wings
Put him at prop or second row
Just saying
Irrelevant comparing him to those players.

Nobody in the squad is capable of doing ball playing like you’ve described, so an irrelevant point suggesting him at prop or second row.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Gerrumonside

Re: Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by Gerrumonside »

You’re not comparing like for like for me - take any of Faz, Clarke or Lockers at the beginning of their careers and compare that to Smithes as he is now.

Faz converted from 2nd row and whilst he had good hands and great footwork was arguably the greatest natural fit for our Wigan ball playing loose but he worked hard at it and grew into the role - more physical surrounded by star players when he first came in. Clarke was more a hybrid forward with one hell of an engine and lockers in my eyes was like Smithies is now being more defensive and developing his attacking as his career matured.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:16 pm
Big stick wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:49 pm

Aye. Imagine reading the whole thing and only picking out the fact our head coach enjoys his job as something to comment on negatively
I’m with Blackpool so what if he finds it fun it doesn’t mean he put any less work in than other Head Coaches. I’d argue to say it’s a good thing he find it fun as the pressure on coaches is massive.
Nobodies said he isn't allowed to have fun or enjoy himself, all I'm saying is keep it professional, the fans don't need to know this, I recall Waney getting a load of stick from fans on here for being mates and dead matey with the players, funny how the consensus changes, and it doesn't stop with Peety, it's trickles through to Lockers and Lulu then on up to Rads and Lenners, This is called Jobs for the boys and it needs eradicating from the club, I bet Eamonn McManus isn't best buddies with the squad at Saints
From last night's interview and performance, Ian Watson isn't mates with any of his players! Maybe we should get him in to replace Peet and stop jftb.? Would that stop you moaning, Meds?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:20 am
medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:16 pm
Big stick wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am

I’m with Blackpool so what if he finds it fun it doesn’t mean he put any less work in than other Head Coaches. I’d argue to say it’s a good thing he find it fun as the pressure on coaches is massive.
Nobodies said he isn't allowed to have fun or enjoy himself, all I'm saying is keep it professional, the fans don't need to know this, I recall Waney getting a load of stick from fans on here for being mates and dead matey with the players, funny how the consensus changes, and it doesn't stop with Peety, it's trickles through to Lockers and Lulu then on up to Rads and Lenners, This is called Jobs for the boys and it needs eradicating from the club, I bet Eamonn McManus isn't best buddies with the squad at Saints
From last night's interview and performance, Ian Watson isn't mates with any of his players! Maybe we should get him in to replace Peet and stop jftb.? Would that stop you moaning, Meds?
If watson upsets a few of his forwards maybe we can step in with a cheeky loan bid.Be interesting who gets dropped for next weeks game as watson indicated
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Firestarter wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:06 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:26 pm That’s why I waited for Bateman to leave, no way should he have had the 13 shirt, so I could put a proper 13 Loose Forward on the back of mine 😊

Smithies on my home, Havard on my away & French on the Charity shirt.
And Welsby on your England jersey josie?😭
Don't push it, mate. You don't want to upset Josie :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:28 am
Firestarter wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:06 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:26 pm That’s why I waited for Bateman to leave, no way should he have had the 13 shirt, so I could put a proper 13 Loose Forward on the back of mine 😊

Smithies on my home, Havard on my away & French on the Charity shirt.
And Welsby on your England jersey josie?😭
Don't push it, mate. You don't want to upset Josie :lol:
I know i reckon i might get a slap at salford haha
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Apologies for multiple posts, but I just checked ages of our younger forwards:

Byrne 23
Shorrocks 23
Havard 22
Smithies 22
O'Neill 20
Hill 19
Nsemba 19 next week.

Not included KPP as he won't be here next year, but looking at the above, the future is bright. Having the likes of Cooper, Farrell and Isa in the mix, and Lockers on the coaching staff, is the perfect way to ensure these lads develop.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:44 am Apologies for multiple posts, but I just checked ages of our younger forwards:

Byrne 23
Shorrocks 23
Havard 22
Smithies 22
O'Neill 20
Hill 19
Nsemba 19 next week.

Not included KPP as he won't be here next year, but looking at the above, the future is bright. Having the likes of Cooper, Farrell and Isa in the mix, and Lockers on the coaching staff, is the perfect way to ensure these lads develop.
I think we have the youngest squad in SL 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:09 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:44 am Apologies for multiple posts, but I just checked ages of our younger forwards:

Byrne 23
Shorrocks 23
Havard 22
Smithies 22
O'Neill 20
Hill 19
Nsemba 19 next week.

And that's why we aren't a dominant force
morley pie eater

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:34 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:09 pm

Byrne 23
Shorrocks 23
Havard 22
Smithies 22
O'Neill 20
Hill 19
Nsemba 19 next week.

And that's why we aren't a dominant force
I thought it was because of P****l :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐