Wigan squad for Warrington / Tonight's Match v Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad for Warrington

Post by fozzieskem »

I'd be tempted to push shorrocks back to the halves or just play Cust there and have at it
Beaker080977

Post by Beaker080977 »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:52 pm Fwiw, I'd have:

French

Miski
King
Wardle
Marshall

Shorrocks
Smith

Ellis
O'Neill
Byrne (or possibly Bryne depending on your preference)
Farrell
Nsemba
Smithies

Hill
Singo
Magoo (I'm allowed a misspelling too)
Cust/Forber
Drop Field altogether?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:13 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:38 pm I want to see French at 13
Why?

He’d spend half his time defending in the middle and knackering himself out.

We would lose a forwards attacking abilities.

He wouldn’t be able to do anything additional than he cannot do at 6
Why do you rise to it?
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:44 am
medlocke wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:38 pm I want to see French at 13
Why?

Why do you rise to it?
It's a valid statement, we need him on the pitch, he can do a job on the wing but he would then have to keep driving the ball out in exit sets which isn't his thing, so put him in at loose where he can roam free and get his hands on the ball as much as he does at 6, imagine French around the ruck running at tired forwards.
He doesnt have to defend right in the middle, he can defend two or three out, there is no hard and fast rule on where you defend you just push the others in one.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:04 am
moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:44 am

Why?

Why do you rise to it?
It's a valid statement, we need him on the pitch, he can do a job on the wing but he would then have to keep driving the ball out in exit sets which isn't his thing, so put him in at loose where he can roam free and get his hands on the ball as much as he does at 6, imagine French around the ruck running at tired forwards.
He doesnt have to defend right in the middle, he can defend two or three out, there is no hard and fast rule on where you defend you just push the others in one.
So you have a problem with French on the wing because of needing to drive the ball out but suggest him as loose forward?

Our forwards this year has been an area of struggle due to form and injuries and you’re suggesting take a forward out?

I’ll ask again, given the role he would hypothetically play at 13, what can French do at 13 that he couldn’t do at 6?

I personally don’t like French at 6 but suggesting he moves to 13 is getting silly now.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:41 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:00 pm
Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:38 pm Is Williams definitely out?
Yes
He's in the 21
He won’t be playing
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Beaker080977 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:02 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:52 pm Fwiw, I'd have:

French

Miski
King
Wardle
Marshall

Shorrocks
Smith

Ellis
O'Neill
Byrne (or possibly Bryne depending on your preference)
Farrell
Nsemba
Smithies

Hill
Singo
Magoo (I'm allowed a misspelling too)
Cust/Forber
Drop Field altogether?
I picked the team I thought would have the best chance of beating Wire. I believe we beat them with Shorrocks at 6, where he'll do a good job in defence, and I think French will be more effective at 1.
If I was going to include Jai, it would probably be on the bench instead of Cust or Forber, but I think a replacement 9 might be more useful.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

George Williams not playing tonight i am told from a good informant
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Last time we played Warrington in SL was 14th of the month with Chris Kendall as referee!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

So you have a problem with French on the wing because of needing to drive the ball out but suggest him as loose forward?

Our forwards this year has been an area of struggle due to form and injuries and you’re suggesting take a forward out?

I’ll ask again, given the role he would hypothetically play at 13, what can French do at 13 that he couldn’t do at 6?

I personally don’t like French at 6 but suggesting he moves to 13 is getting silly now.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with French on the wing other than he won't get his hands on the ball as much in a position where he can use his elusiveness and pace to his advantage, he is also not a winger to make the hard metres coming off our own line, Miski and Marshall are.

We are short in the forwards at the moment and putting French in there will leave us even shorter (in theory) but that is where the other forwards need to step up, there are four other forwards on the field (excluding hooker) at any given time so enough for each to take a drive every other set.

The difference between a roaming role at 13 and a 6 is the organisational side of things, in my opinion French does not look comfortable in an organisational role and is more of a chime into the line and play off the cuff, which he can do at loose as he had been doing at 1, trying to fit Field and French into the team without taking away their main assest or creating something from nothing in open play is difficult, I would prefer to give Cust another go at 6 to see if he can grow into the position, leaving the cunundrum of who will play at 1